GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently January 20 19, 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
PostPosted: January 2 19, 3:11 pm 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: January 2 19, 3:13 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

33anda3rd wrote:
Richter is right about the PC Police not ruining comedy, but real [expletive] I don't think it's a tough time to be making jokes. At all. It's a GREAT time to be making jokes. Comics who make jokes that are not offensive become more universally funny.

Big Mouth is universally funny and includes the female characters on all the humor. John Mulaney's comedy requires the understanding that his wife is his backbone. Key & Peele's funniest sketch is two guys bragging about ruling their roost in secret, hiding from their wives who are the alphas of their respective homes. When the jokes about women's appearance or sexual utility go away, the jokes suddenly become funny to 100% of the people instead of the lowly 5% who find that kind of junk funny.

I don’t know if it’s actually the case but your post suggests to me that it’s a great time to make jokes if you pander to women.
Andy is not wrong. He/she who finds a way to find some universal human truth through comedy while going at societal changes will be on to something.

PostPosted: January 2 19, 3:18 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

lukethedrifter wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Richter is right about the PC Police not ruining comedy, but real [expletive] I don't think it's a tough time to be making jokes. At all. It's a GREAT time to be making jokes. Comics who make jokes that are not offensive become more universally funny.

Big Mouth is universally funny and includes the female characters on all the humor. John Mulaney's comedy requires the understanding that his wife is his backbone. Key & Peele's funniest sketch is two guys bragging about ruling their roost in secret, hiding from their wives who are the alphas of their respective homes. When the jokes about women's appearance or sexual utility go away, the jokes suddenly become funny to 100% of the people instead of the lowly 5% who find that kind of junk funny.

I don’t know if it’s actually the case but your post suggests to me that it’s a great time to make jokes if you pander to women.
Andy is not wrong. He/she who finds a way to find some universal human truth through comedy while going at societal changes will be on to something.

That's not what I'm saying. Pandering comedy is pedestrian and just as unfunny as offensive comedy. I'm saying what you're saying--universal truth comedy is the one that's the most...um...universal and therefore the one that will make the joke-teller great. Seinfeld. Universal truths. "What's the deal with that thing when you......" Annoying people to Seinfeld are genderless, a close talker could be a man or a woman, they're a close talker and that's what's funny/annoying/odd. Hit those things and you're great as a comic.

PostPosted: January 2 19, 3:19 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

lukethedrifter wrote:
He/she who finds a way to find some universal human truth through comedy while going at societal changes will be on to something.

Which is always the case, regardless of who is complaining because the world has passed them by at the time. Not coincidentally, you know who usually doesn't have anything interesting to say about the state of the world regardless of when or what's going on? Wealthy old men.

PostPosted: January 2 19, 3:23 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

thrill wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
He/she who finds a way to find some universal human truth through comedy while going at societal changes will be on to something.

Which is always the case, regardless of who is complaining because the world has passed them by at the time.

Exactly. But there are more potholes out there and more people calling you out for being a jerk (i think) so maybe takes even more comedic skill to be edgy (not in the dumb way that has become the norm in society).

PostPosted: January 2 19, 3:28 pm 
Everday Unicorn

I watched the whole run of Louie, and it's breathtakingly depressing to see where Louie (the person and artist) has wound up. As the show progressed from typical stand-up sitcom fare (a few stand up acts plus some vignettes about how being a parent/dating are awkward and difficult) to artistic, postmodern takes on life and sexuality and caring for other human beings, and a love letter to New York and its people and places. It felt like he was arriving as an artist.

Of course, at the same time he was making this show, he was doing awful things to people who did not deserve it at all. Now, instead of reflecting on getting called out and continuing his progress as an artist, he's taking the easy route: punching down at people who actually care and are trying to make progress in this world. What a colossal disappointment.

PostPosted: January 2 19, 3:37 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

lukethedrifter wrote:
thrill wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:

Which is always the case, regardless of who is complaining because the world has passed them by at the time.

Exactly. But there are more potholes out there and more people calling you out for being a jerk (i think) so maybe takes even more comedic skill to be edgy (not in the dumb way that has become the norm in society).

Carlin is a stellar example of this.

More recently the work of Nathan Fielder. The late night stylings of Klepper, Colbert, Seth Meyers, Larry Wilmore, Sam Bee, John Oliver. Hannah Gadsby. Brennan. Russell Brand actually is an outspoken critic of the economic inequity in the world--like a yelling screaming one, real angry--and is not a creep as far as I know. Mike Schur (creator of Parks and Rec, The Good Place, Brooklyn 99, KenTremendous on Twitter) now pretty much makes political jokes on Twitter and moral philosophy lessons on TV. There are a bunch I'm forgetting. Kumail Nanjiani. Mike Judge.

PostPosted: January 3 19, 8:46 am 
Hall Of Famer

33anda3rd wrote:

So you are saying comedy is only hard for men who have a hard time putting women in front of the joke (whether by letting women tell the jokes themselves, or by joking about how women are basically in charge of things now). This would go a long ways to explain why Louie is having a hard time right now.

PostPosted: January 3 19, 8:53 am 
Replies Authoritatively

pioneer98 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:

So you are saying comedy is only hard for men who have a hard time putting women in front of the joke (whether by letting women tell the jokes themselves, or by joking about how women are basically in charge of things now). This would go a long ways to explain why Louie is having a hard time right now.

I'm saying if you have succeeded with jokes that get you big laughs, but laughs that come easy and at other's expense (esp. women, LGBTQ people, racial/ethnic/religious minorities) then nowadays it's tough out there on these comedy streets.

Go watch Eddie Murphy Delirious. It was a HUGE hit in the 80s. If it was filmed today and streamed on Netflix you'd* turn it off about 6 minutes in, assuming it was just going to be an hour of an unfunny man in a tight leather suit doing stereotypes on gay men.

*"You" = pioneer who I know to be thoughtful and stuff. There's like 20% of the world that would probably find it hilarious. So maybe if the comic's thing is to play to the 20% and play it real hard, kind of an Ugly Foxworthy career model, they can pull off a career. I dunno. I'd hope not.

That thing going around now with Louis and Rock and Seinfeld, where Seinfeld is uncomfortable with them using the n-word, back when that first aired on HBO I remember that the talk among comedy people around shows in Chicago was that Seinfeld was old, un-hip, outdated, and that Louis was this comedy god who could use that word because he had something to say about it. That was only like 6 years ago. So there's been kind of a sea change in a short time in that world.

PostPosted: January 5 19, 2:55 am 
Hall Of Famer

This was pretty good IMO. I can't get the URL to work since it has an [expletive] in it. Let me know if you want the link. It's from Current Affairs.

People who pretend to be [expletive] are frequently just [expletive]
Quote:
Harry Frankfurt’s short and essential work of philosophy, On [expletive], lays out important distinctions between liars and [expletive]. A liar knows they are lying, which means they know what the truth is, and have a certain respect for it. But a [expletive] either doesn’t know or doesn’t care, and is fundamentally unable to handle being caught. Louis C.K. is a [expletive]. His old comedy rested on a contradiction that didn’t exist: As Matt Zoller Seitz wrote in Vulture: “Anxious laughter erupted from the tension between the person that C.K. had portrayed himself as being (thoughtful, sensitive, self-interrogating) and the worst-case-scenario person he envisioned in his stand-up bits (narcissistic, lazy, vicious).” Louis C.K. was always this worst-case-scenario person, really, and the decency was a mask. And he’s mad as hell now, not just at the lost millions and the currently canceled movie called “I Love You, Daddy” (ick) but that we finally see into the [expletive], and we know for certain that he’s [expletive] all the way down.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 706 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next