GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently April 23 19, 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 744 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next
PostPosted: January 25 19, 2:52 pm 
99% conan clips

thrill wrote:
Avi Lerner has definitely [expletive] a teen boy with Bryan Singer.

PostPosted: January 25 19, 8:12 pm 
99% conan clips

apparently some damning 4 hour michael jackson documentary is gonna come out this spring on hbo

PostPosted: January 25 19, 8:35 pm 
All-Star

Jocephus wrote:
apparently some damning 4 hour michael jackson documentary is gonna come out this spring on hbo

That's going to be a really tough one. With him I thought perhaps there was some sort of asexual Peter Pan kind of reasonable doubt. Had his childhood stolen and stayed a little boy. Kind of like South Park's take, if I'm remembering it right.

There is going to be some insane apologists.

Maybe Blanket can use some of that Beatles money, buy the rights and quash it.

I don't know how much good this might do. If it actually helps victims I guess it's good. Complicated feelings. The R. Kelly doc quite likely saved some kids. This MJ one, is just going to break everyone's heart. If it helps any victims former or future, great, and all my doubts are moot. But I do have doubts.

Part of me just wants to let people in Romania and Chile and Cambodia and Mali listen to Thriller a while longer while we learn these lessons from some Bryan Singers where there can be some justice with guys that didn't mean so much to so many. But maybe the results of this movie will feel something like justice to people who desperately need it.

PostPosted: January 29 19, 10:25 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Thriller is a Quincy Jones song. MJ just sang it. That's what I'll tell myself.

PostPosted: February 4 19, 7:49 pm 
Consider him admonished

What is going on in Virginia?
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/04/us/p ... sault.html

PostPosted: February 4 19, 8:05 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

They're coming for the throne but Illinois won't go down without a fight.

PostPosted: February 4 19, 8:20 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

A year plus after me too movement what are the gains?
1. some awful and dangerous people have been checked down.
2. Other people motivated to speak out, which has to empower and help recovery.
3. Males socially aware of the affects of our actions attitudes towards women.

and 4., it may be my imagination but movies/TV desensitization of sexual violence, seems to be less. small sample, but the latest series of Narcos seems to not have as much of it. Or maybe series 1 and 2 desensitized me already.

Things that aren't happening:
1. The most vulnerable are sort of forgotten, not a big part of this movement. A celebrity and successful now are lauded for speaking up.

Poor people, young people, minorities getting harassed as bad as ever. Or worse, since the potential field for predators has gotten smaller.
2. while good some males are woke - most the time the woke people are predisposed anyway. Trumpers aren't changing.
3. Though some art/film etc realizing the trivializing effects of violence towards woman to sell their product, there is plenty of it out there. Looking at you hip hop culture.

PostPosted: February 4 19, 11:27 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Freed Roger wrote:
1. The most vulnerable are sort of forgotten, not a big part of this movement. A celebrity and successful now are lauded for speaking up.

Poor people, young people, minorities getting harassed as bad as ever. Or worse, since the potential field for predators has gotten smaller.

There have been many lesser-known people taken down that just didn't make make national news. But in general, I agree with you that many marginalized women are likely still afraid to speak out.

There were a couple labor actions that made demands to address sexual harassment in their workplaces. There was a strike at McDonald's in 10 cities where eliminating sexual harassment and punishing bosses that did it was their primary demand. Fixing the sexual harassment policy was also the top demand of the Google employee walkout. But these were the only examples that I know of like that.

PostPosted: February 4 19, 11:51 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

maybe so. Trickle down me too.

PostPosted: February 5 19, 8:44 am 
Replies Authoritatively

pioneer98 wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:

There have been many lesser-known people taken down that just didn't make make national news. But in general, I agree with you that many marginalized women are likely still afraid to speak out.

For sure. Just in my world, off the top of my head, there's a formerly Michelin-starred chef who can't get work at all now that word is out that he went to jail for beating his wife in the head with a bottle, causing her to need to have her head stapled back together and their highly regarded restaurant to close. Basically no one with dignity and a resume that will earn them a better job will work for Bruce Finkelman, who owns Empty Bottle, Longman & Eagle, Thalia Hall and a bunch of other restaurants, concert venues, and bars--there was an incident at one of his places and following that becoming public on social media there was an outpouring of "oh he did this to me at this spot in this year" and it just rained [expletive] on him for a week, and they were looking for a new GM and AGM at every one of their spots in town to clean up the culture. A chef I know who used to manage by screaming lost his job for touching a woman who didn't want his hands on her and he now literally lives in his sister's basement in AZ. These are behaviors that were the norm at 99% of places (the 1% were the outliers, the women-owned shops) for a long time. The guy who rearranged his wife's head had a documentary made about him and his "drive for perfection" or whatever and how he was so intense and antisocial because he was such a genius. This all came around in the last 12 months or so. Now they're the norm at only like 70% of the places (the 30% are the 5% that are woman-led, the 10% that have come around on their own, and the 15% that have been exposed and forced into change.) It's changing at smaller levels we don't hear about. Slowly, but it's changing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 744 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next