GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 27 18, 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: November 8 17, 12:39 pm 
Veteran Player

Farewell Friends wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:
The next big question is the March 2018 primaries.

Do Republican primary voters choose Trumpian zealots? Or more moderate candidates with a better chance of winning a general election?

The results of last night suggest they would be wise to do the latter, but primary voters have a habit of the former lately.

There will also be very interesting battles in the primaries on the Democratic side, as the battle between the Hillary wing and Bernie wing rages on.

There's no Hillary wing - the degree to which people are convinced the Clintons are Democratic king/queen makers with their preferred candidates is overblown.

But there's a Clinton/Wasserman Schultz way of doing business that probably hasn't been entirely been purged. And a whole further left or middle balance to still strike.

PostPosted: November 8 17, 2:17 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Farewell Friends wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

Do Republican primary voters choose Trumpian zealots? Or more moderate candidates with a better chance of winning a general election?

The results of last night suggest they would be wise to do the latter, but primary voters have a habit of the former lately.

There will also be very interesting battles in the primaries on the Democratic side, as the battle between the Hillary wing and Bernie wing rages on.

There's no Hillary wing - the degree to which people are convinced the Clintons are Democratic king/queen makers with their preferred candidates is overblown.

There is definitely a rift in the party though.

PostPosted: November 8 17, 2:17 pm 
Hall Of Famer

PostPosted: November 8 17, 2:24 pm 
Everday Unicorn

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
Farewell Friends wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

But there's a Clinton/Wasserman Schultz way of doing business that probably hasn't been entirely been purged. And a whole further left or middle balance to still strike.

This is pure personal opinion, but I don't think there will be a Bernie/Hilary type of schism in 2020. The problem in 2016 was that Hilary had been the candidate-in-waiting since at least 2008. The party elites (DNC officers, big donors, superdelegates, etc) had taken it as a given that 2016 would be her turn. When Bernie's campaign gained unexpected grassroots support, it upset their apple court, and you wound up with all the inside-baseball stuff that is still coming to light.

In 2020, there is no "candidate of destiny." I have no idea who the nominee will be. I'm sure there will be a more establishment-type candidate (Biden?) and some more leftwing candidates (Warren? Bernie again?) but there won't be that one candidate that the DNC had taken as a given for 8+ years that it would be working to elect.

PostPosted: November 8 17, 2:28 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

pioneer98 wrote:

Yep. This is the problem to be solved. Hopes and prayers on SCOTUS gerrymandering case.

PostPosted: November 8 17, 2:30 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Do we really even live in a Democracy anymore?

PostPosted: November 8 17, 2:33 pm 
Hall Of Famer

heyzeus wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
Farewell Friends wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

This is pure personal opinion, but I don't think there will be a Bernie/Hilary type of schism in 2020. The problem in 2016 was that Hilary had been the candidate-in-waiting since at least 2008. The party elites (DNC officers, big donors, superdelegates, etc) had taken it as a given that 2016 would be her turn. When Bernie's campaign gained unexpected grassroots support, it upset their apple court, and you wound up with all the inside-baseball stuff that is still coming to light.

In 2020, there is no "candidate of destiny." I have no idea who the nominee will be. I'm sure there will be a more establishment-type candidate (Biden?) and some more leftwing candidates (Warren? Bernie again?) but there won't be that one candidate that the DNC had taken as a given for 8+ years that it would be working to elect.

Yeah, maybe this will be all water under the bridge by 2020. But we still have things like Ellison supporters being purged by Perez. I've seen similar clashes at the local level breaking along the same lines.

PostPosted: November 8 17, 2:34 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

cardinalkarp wrote:
Do we really even live in a Democracy anymore?

When someone like me resorts to hopes and prayers- ...no.

PostPosted: November 8 17, 2:56 pm 
tl;dr

I was just looking at my phone during a quick stroll away from my desk and saw that the two candidates in New Jersey who were running for a school board and targeted with the fliers saying that "the Chinese and Indians are taking our country over" and that they should be deported both won their elections. The guy who asked if the women would be home from the women's march in time to cook dinner lost his election. Another city elected their first Sikh mayor who's opponent was running a campaign based on racism and xenophobia. 7 cities elected black mayors for the first time in their history. Even though they are not positions at the absolute highest levels, I think at least there has been somewhat of a statement that the racist BS will not be tolerated. And then of course there was a trans woman voted in as a Virginia state rep.

I'm still not optimistic with the way things are in our country but I'm going to latch onto these small victories for the rest of the day and try to remain hopeful.

PostPosted: November 8 17, 3:12 pm 
Hall Of Famer

tlombard wrote:
I was just looking at my phone during a quick stroll away from my desk and saw that the two candidates in New Jersey who were running for a school board and targeted with the fliers saying that "the Chinese and Indians are taking our country over" and that they should be deported both won their elections. The guy who asked if the women would be home from the women's march in time to cook dinner lost his election. Another city elected their first Sikh mayor who's opponent was running a campaign based on racism and xenophobia. 7 cities elected black mayors for the first time in their history. Even though they are not positions at the absolute highest levels, I think at least there has been somewhat of a statement that the racist BS will not be tolerated. And then of course there was a trans woman voted in as a Virginia state rep.

I'm still not optimistic with the way things are in our country but I'm going to latch onto these small victories for the rest of the day and try to remain hopeful.

My wife and I were talking about this over lunch today. A sliver of hope out but not quite time to exhale.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next