GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 6 19, 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 126  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guns V3.0
PostPosted: August 9 19, 1:09 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

G. Keenan wrote:
Only in America do we define "freedom" as living like hostages to the paranoid militant fantasies of disaffected male losers.

PostPosted: August 10 19, 12:07 pm 
Hall Of Famer

This is different:

PostPosted: August 10 19, 2:22 pm 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

thrill wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Only in America do we define "freedom" as living like hostages to the paranoid militant fantasies of disaffected male losers.

It's definitely a weird situation. I would pretty unequivocally say that the gun carriers I know wouldn't classify as disaffected male losers with any sort of militant fantasies though I think I understand where that stereotype comes from.

Anecdotally, in all the places I've worked from college on there's always been a policy of not having guns in the workplace and it was also widely accepted to bring one so long as it wasn't brandished. Kind of like a 'no drug' policy where they never tested for drugs unless you were obviously [expletive] up.

Regardless, that's the way it was and no one ever thought twice about it even though it was well known that there were more than a couple people with guns. Not saying it was right, just saying that's my experience.

To the point of feeling threatened, I think that's the main thing that people need to focus on and understand. The gun nuts aside, everyone pretty much agrees on the saying that a person's right to swing their fist wildly ends the second said fist hits someone else's face. A strong point can and should be made that in the case of gun control, the proverbial fist hits the proverbial face when a gun is being carried, not when it is being used. That's probably where I'd start the conversation if I were going to get involved (which I'm not) at least because in today's day and age, I'd tend to agree that people fear guns and it's not fair for people to walk around in fear as G. Keenan point out.

I'd guess the counterpoint would be a more literal interpretation of the fist swinging analogy that a gun can be carried up until it is used, and the pretty obvious rebuttal would be the discrepancy in power its mere presence creates; hence its mere presence is the cause of fear and therefore infringes on others' rights, and should therefore be heavily regulated. JMO.

PostPosted: August 10 19, 3:38 pm 
Hall Of Famer

The random quiet dudes that might carry a gun once in a while aren't the ones stopping us from implementing common sense gun laws. It really is the more extreme people on that side of the debate that is stopping us. Those people and the people with power who profit from guns that are stoking those people's fears.

PostPosted: August 10 19, 9:55 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
thrill wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:

It's definitely a weird situation. I would pretty unequivocally say that the gun carriers I know wouldn't classify as disaffected male losers with any sort of militant fantasies though I think I understand where that stereotype comes from.

Any idea why these guys (males in particular) carry? Statistically it makes them less safe.

Woman I know has one in her purse. She doesn't get around well, obese. Sweet person, she probably feels vulnerable. I don't think twice about her having it, though she probably isn't any safer with it.
Maybe the males feel vulnerable.Hard to say.

PostPosted: August 11 19, 9:43 am 
Replies Authoritatively

G. Keenan wrote:

Also only in America do we have two things that make a really dangerous cocktail:
1. a non third-world country with political leaders fanning the flames of hate and encouraging violence against a select group of people
2. the "freedom" of these white male losers to walk into a good old fashioned family hardware store and walk out with a war machine that has one purpose: multiple deaths.

The UK had one school shooting, 20-plus years ago, then they banned everything but shotguns and other hunting rifles. Imagine the anti-immigrant stuff going around there with Brexit if they also had the "freedom" to walk into any Sainsbury's or Kingfisher and walk out a half hour later with an AR-15. They'd have massacres in mosques and schools and at soccer (sorry, football) matches. There's a big anti-immigration thing in Sweden now that would be a bigger problem were it not illegal to carry a firearm in Sweden. Virtually every other country has fixed this, and for one that prides itself on being smart we are very very stupid on the issue of gun control.

PostPosted: August 14 19, 2:40 pm 
just can't quit you.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mo-boy-7-fatally-shot-161127898.html

PostPosted: August 14 19, 3:39 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

YAHOO!Entertainment

PostPosted: August 14 19, 3:55 pm 
just can't quit you.

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
YAHOO!Entertainment

I thought that was odd too...

PostPosted: August 14 19, 6:20 pm 
The Last Word

33anda3rd wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:

Also only in America do we have two things that make a really dangerous cocktail:
1. a non third-world country with political leaders fanning the flames of hate and encouraging violence against a select group of people
2. the "freedom" of these white male losers to walk into a good old fashioned family hardware store and walk out with a war machine that has one purpose: multiple deaths.

The UK had one school shooting, 20-plus years ago, then they banned everything but shotguns and other hunting rifles. Imagine the anti-immigrant stuff going around there with Brexit if they also had the "freedom" to walk into any Sainsbury's or Kingfisher and walk out a half hour later with an AR-15. They'd have massacres in mosques and schools and at soccer (sorry, football) matches. There's a big anti-immigration thing in Sweden now that would be a bigger problem were it not illegal to carry a firearm in Sweden. Virtually every other country has fixed this, and for one that prides itself on being smart we are very very stupid on the issue of gun control.

I'm for getting assault weapons out of the hands of mean white guys too, but we should keep in mind that there's the other 95+% of gun homicide that needs to be addressed as well. Your post here feels more like a political statement than a genuine concern for saving lives.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 126  Next