GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently January 17 20, 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 126  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guns V3.0
PostPosted: August 6 19, 12:01 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Sharing this again, abbreviated as I can.

I was doing a little backpacking trip with my daughter and dog in wilderness area in SW MO (Hercules Glade) before dropping the dog at a kennel and heading on to Silver Dollar City for a day.
We'd done more basic car glamping and tourism in the Smokies as our trip a couple times before. But we loved the Big Galoot. And short excursion into National Forest Wilderness Area would be awesome.

This was all hyper planned by the way. My solace in the 3 months of tax season.

The BPing was a weekday in April. We only saw a few people all day. In the evening my daughter tired out and was a little upset our cell phone ran out of battery, so couldn't get ahold of mom any more. As I was consoling her, one guy shows up at our sight to let us know he'd be somewhere nearby.

Anyway at midnight, my daughter asleep,
I hear ATV humming down the hills. It freaked me out, motorized vehicles forbidden in wilderness. These must be someone setting up to party in a primo spot close to the creek 50 yards away. If ever I wished I brought a gun, it was that moment.

Atv stops a ways away. I see a flashlight coming up trail directly at us. Big Galoot is barking and growling. It's two rangers guns drawn. At first I was relieved, they weren't tweakes Then behind me are two more guys with AR style rifles. (Volunteer FF posse) . They were there for me.

Still hard to say what brought this on. The guy we saw earlier must have thought it strange to have a guy with little girl in the woods wanting her mom. (Reasonable, I guess...) . I surmise the message he sent out was text or shortened by his cell service, because the rangers and two guys who snuck up from other angles didnt really have a clue what they were coming into and were clearly nervous.

It took a long time to sort this situation out, with my nerves, their nerves and inability to comprehend why they were there. Finally got a cell out with a relay to my step-daughter who vouched for me. My wife and in-laws both their calls got cut off.

Once the clouds lifted, and my daughter interrogated in the tent. I was able to tell them my entire itinerary - a reservation at the Branson Pet Resort. The hotel we had next night, SDC etc. All while my big lab is licking the arm of a guy holding the AR. Man, it was a chilling experience. 3 of the 4 became were extremely apologetic. 1 was more dickish, more concerned about getting out of there, knowing it was a mistake/colossal miscommunication- primarily his.

I asked them when the storm was supposed to hit.
(Weather. My main concern in April) soon, they said. Then they just left us out there, me mentally frayed. My daughter-scared but fast back asleep. Big Galoot just fine though.
3 mile hike next am, we beat a gigantic rain storm out. (Same volatile weather that Joplin tornado came from a few days later)

If I had that gun, I would have drawn it. Pretty good chance I'd been shot. That would be the end.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 4:35 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

Freed Roger wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
No I was being literal.

If you have kids who play in the yard. And local feral hogs. Just build a strong fence. No need for guns.

Well, the obvious counter-argument - and again you don't need to worry about feral hogs attacking - would be that guns are orders of magnitude cheaper. If you live on acres of land, that's a lot of fence to build and maintain. It makes sense for farmers to do it becuase it protects their livestock which is necessary. But, if you're living on 2.5 acres and going paycheck to paycheck, it's a non-starter.

But does that person need an assault rifle ?

Not for protection from feral hogs.

For anything? meatheads or opioid addicts?

Why meatheads?

PostPosted: August 6 19, 4:42 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
No I was being literal.

If you have kids who play in the yard. And local feral hogs. Just build a strong fence. No need for guns.

Well, the obvious counter-argument - and again you don't need to worry about feral hogs attacking - would be that guns are orders of magnitude cheaper. If you live on acres of land, that's a lot of fence to build and maintain. It makes sense for farmers to do it becuase it protects their livestock which is necessary. But, if you're living on 2.5 acres and going paycheck to paycheck, it's a non-starter.

a) you only fence in the back yard/children’s play area b) do the kids only get to play when the turret is manned? c) if you’re trying to get rid of them- as opposed to fend off imminent attack- shooting is bad policy it seems d) the tweeter is another one of those Trump loving libertarian constitutionalists <eyeroll>

PostPosted: August 6 19, 6:09 am 
Replies Authoritatively

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
No I was being literal.

So then let's say a law comes down banning all military assault rifles from private citizen ownership. No more AKs, no more ARs, no more Dracos. Rurals and white supremacist mass murderers need a different option and the Migos need something different to rap about. In that world, in which an assault rifle is not an option and a rural person is afraid of 30-50 feral hogs stampeding his children as they play in the yard (which I still like 42% believe is a bit on Twitter), what is a workable option?

PostPosted: August 6 19, 6:10 am 
Replies Authoritatively

lukethedrifter wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
No I was being literal.

But does that person need an assault rifle ?

Not for protection from feral hogs.

For anything? meatheads or opioid addicts?

Why meatheads?

I mean, you saw the Kavanagh confirmation hearings, right?

PostPosted: August 6 19, 7:16 am 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

33anda3rd wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
No I was being literal.

So then let's say a law comes down banning all military assault rifles from private citizen ownership. No more AKs, no more ARs, no more Dracos. Rurals and white supremacist mass murderers need a different option and the Migos need something different to rap about. In that world, in which an assault rifle is not an option and a rural person is afraid of 30-50 feral hogs stampeding his children as they play in the yard (which I still like 42% believe is a bit on Twitter), what is a workable option?

Death by feral hog, I reckon, to the extent that exists.

All the pig talk, this seems obligatory.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 7:27 am 
Replies Authoritatively

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Death by feral hog, I reckon, to the extent that exists.

Or you'd build a fence, right? I mean, if you're a sociopath you'd use a shotgun after ARs are banned, and shoot it in the direction of pigs who are charging your children, putting your children at risk, which seems about par for the theoretical person who needs a gun to solve practical problems we all encounter every day like a pack of four dozen feral hogs. But if you wanted a safe play area in your backyard for your kids to be able to have a catch without worrying about four dozen feral hogs, a sturdy fence would be a really good solution. You could also build a brick wall. Maybe make the four dozen feral hogs pay for it. Send them back!!! If your kids are in danger of feral hog attacks that can only be solved with an assault rifle then you are likely a rather unfit parent, incapable of raising kids while keeping them safe from the real dangers of the world like four dozen feral hogs.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 7:33 am 
bronoun enthusiast

You better be one [expletive] dead eyed shot to take down an feral hog, let alone many feral hogs, which would necessitate an assault rifle. It's like the dudes I see carrying their .45's on the river fly fishing in Montana. Buddy, if you get attacked by a grizzly bear, that [expletive] is going to ping off it's skull like a bouncy ball. A shotgun with the right high grain/steel pellet payload would work way better but you're still better off with a dozen trained dogs and some mace.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 7:38 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Thrill brings up a really good point. Having a dozen really well trained but vicious attack dogs protecting your kids is probably way way way safer than having an AR-15 with an extendo sitting around.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 8:17 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

I don't think anyone is arguing on behalf of feral hogs attacking my kids, gimme my AR-15

Here at least. That doesn't mean politicians aren't

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 126  Next