GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 11 19, 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 126  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guns V3.0
PostPosted: August 6 19, 8:27 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Yeah, I think we are all on the same page here that the tweet about the feral hogs is ludicrous.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 8:30 am 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

33anda3rd wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Death by feral hog, I reckon, to the extent that exists.

Or you'd build a fence, right? I mean, if you're a sociopath you'd use a shotgun after ARs are banned, and shoot it in the direction of pigs who are charging your children, putting your children at risk, which seems about par for the theoretical person who needs a gun to solve practical problems we all encounter every day like a pack of four dozen feral hogs. But if you wanted a safe play area in your backyard for your kids to be able to have a catch without worrying about four dozen feral hogs, a sturdy fence would be a really good solution. You could also build a brick wall. Maybe make the four dozen feral hogs pay for it. Send them back!!! If your kids are in danger of feral hog attacks that can only be solved with an assault rifle then you are likely a rather unfit parent, incapable of raising kids while keeping them safe from the real dangers of the world like four dozen feral hogs.

THink we pretty much agree on everything....except fencing being an option to keep hogs out. And, again, this is all an exercise in futility because hogs are not dangerous....but if they were, fences wouldn't really be an option for the following reasons.

1. It's expensive. In an area where the average income is likely $35k, to protect a backyard on an acre plot, you're looking at 500+ linear feet of fence. Normal 3-strand barbed wire fence probably can be put up for little more than a dollar per foot or $500+. But, that won't be effective. You need a sturdy fence that they can't root under. Possibly even an electric fence. All this adds cost and it will probably end up costing $40+ per linear foot if not more. That $500 fence just turned into a $20K fence real quick.
2. It's ineffective. If they wanted to get in, they're going to get in. Again, they're incredibly smart. Think of killer whales forming bow waves to knock seals off ice blocks in the arctic ocean smart. No amount of fencing, save a jurassic park type electrical fence which aside from money also poses a threat to the children, is going to work forever.
3. Fences in general are bad for other wildlife so it's best not to go throwing up these barriers unless absolutely necessary. Deer, squirrels, raccoons, children, etc are all going to get hurt by a barbed wire (and other) fence at one point or another. Best to avoid them if possible, imo.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 8:38 am 
Replies Authoritatively

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
1. It's expensive. In an area where the average income is likely $35k, to protect a backyard on an acre plot, you're looking at 500+ linear feet of fence. Normal 3-strand barbed wire fence probably can be put up for little more than a dollar per foot or $500+. But, that won't be effective. You need a sturdy fence that they can't root under. Possibly even an electric fence. All this adds cost and it will probably end up costing $40+ per linear foot if not more. That $500 fence just turned into a $20K fence real quick.

Can't the guy on Twitter just put up the most beautiful wall and make the hogs pay for the wall? Even though the hogs, as you say, are not really a threat?

PostPosted: August 6 19, 8:38 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Freed Roger wrote:
I don't think anyone is arguing on behalf of feral hogs attacking my kids, gimme my AR-15

Here at least. That doesn't mean politicians aren't

I've had an arkansas-based GRB user give me the feral hog argument in a gun control debate a few years back. It's here somewhere. That said, this new hog-based dialog been going around twitter when someone tweeted this at Jason Isbell. Comedian twitter found it and it's been the hot joke of the day.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 8:44 am 

33anda3rd wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

Can't the guy on Twitter just put up the most beautiful wall and make the hogs pay for the wall? Even though the hogs, as you say, are not really a threat?

He won't get them to directly pay for it, but if he electrocutes enough to death, he can sell the meat. Bacon is like $8/lb you know.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 8:45 am 

thrill wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
I don't think anyone is arguing on behalf of feral hogs attacking my kids, gimme my AR-15

Here at least. That doesn't mean politicians aren't

I've had an arkansas-based GRB user give me the feral hog argument in a gun control debate a few years back. It's here somewhere. That said, this new hog-based dialog been going around twitter when someone tweeted this at Jason Isbell. Comedian twitter found it and it's been the hot joke of the day.

Was it me?

PostPosted: August 6 19, 8:49 am 
bronoun enthusiast

I do not remember.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 9:00 am 
Replies Authoritatively

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

He won't get them to directly pay for it, but if he electrocutes enough to death, he can sell the meat. Bacon is like $8/lb you know.

So instead of making the non-violent feral hogs who are not really a threat pay for the wall we should just kill the feral hogs like they're meat.

This analogy lines up way too perfectly.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 9:15 am 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

From a logical standpoint, a .223 at a [expletive] hog is hilarious.

PostPosted: August 6 19, 9:23 am 
All-Star

It's all pretty funny, isn't it? Until I showed up to work today and a feral hot was at my desk. The tie was cute, but how'm I gonna feed my family? Guns yes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 126  Next