GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 21 19, 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Guns V3.0
PostPosted: August 27 19, 9:23 am 
Offline
bronoun enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Posts: 28444
Location: extremely online
G. Keenan wrote:
it is insane to me that people would rather have their children grow up under constant surveillance than do something to limit guns.

Buying buckets to bail when the ship is already underwater.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guns V3.0
PostPosted: August 27 19, 9:59 am 
Offline
Sucking on the Rally Nipple
User avatar

Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
Posts: 21514
Location: Chicago
thrill wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
it is insane to me that people would rather have their children grow up under constant surveillance than do something to limit guns.

Buying buckets to bail when the ship is already underwater.


Also insane that school shootings are now such a regular part of American life that they can sustain entire new businesses selling mitigation services to taxpayers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guns V3.0
PostPosted: August 27 19, 12:48 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
Posts: 19756
Location: Low A Minors
G. Keenan wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
HS my bro teaches at now has 160 cameras. An electrical foreman there told him this comparable or more than a casino.


I heard a report yesterday about how school districts are now hiring companies to monitor students' social media for shooting threats.

Camera's everywhere, armed teachers, online surveillance, lock down drills, clear backpacks -- it is insane to me that people would rather have their children grow up under constant surveillance than do something to limit guns.



I believe that one reason schools are targeted is because school is such a brutal place now for kids. Learning has accelerated. Extrracurriculars have accelerated. Al these security measures have accelerated. Cops in schools are there to get kids into the prison pipeline. And all this is on top of the bullying and cliquishness that has happened in school since the beginning of time. School was already a tough place for a lot of kids and we've cranked every facet of it up to 11. That book "Kids These Days" made the argument that mass shooters target schools for all these reasons, and there was some data to back up that idea. When polled, high school kids expect mass shootings to happen because they understand how bad school sucks, they understand how school could make some kids snap, and they also understand we have guns everywhere. So the irony is all these cameras and security measures contribute to the oppressiveness of school and may make shootings more likely, not less likely.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guns V3.0
PostPosted: August 27 19, 12:58 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Posts: 24339
What good are cameras, unless the idea is that they can be used during a shooting? You'd have to have someone monitoring them at the time who knows the school and can direct police or someone else to where the shooter is. Doesn't seem like that's very likely, but idk.

Cameras can help after the fact, and as a deterrent if they're obvious, but I don't see either of those things mattering in a school shooting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guns V3.0
PostPosted: August 27 19, 1:07 pm 
Offline
Sucking on the Rally Nipple
User avatar

Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
Posts: 21514
Location: Chicago
pioneer98 wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
HS my bro teaches at now has 160 cameras. An electrical foreman there told him this comparable or more than a casino.


I heard a report yesterday about how school districts are now hiring companies to monitor students' social media for shooting threats.

Camera's everywhere, armed teachers, online surveillance, lock down drills, clear backpacks -- it is insane to me that people would rather have their children grow up under constant surveillance than do something to limit guns.



I believe that one reason schools are targeted is because school is such a brutal place now for kids. Learning has accelerated. Extrracurriculars have accelerated. Al these security measures have accelerated. Cops in schools are there to get kids into the prison pipeline. And all this is on top of the bullying and cliquishness that has happened in school since the beginning of time. School was already a tough place for a lot of kids and we've cranked every facet of it up to 11. That book "Kids These Days" made the argument that mass shooters target schools for all these reasons, and there was some data to back up that idea. When polled, high school kids expect mass shootings to happen because they understand how bad school sucks, they understand how school could make some kids snap, and they also understand we have guns everywhere. So the irony is all these cameras and security measures contribute to the oppressiveness of school and may make shootings more likely, not less likely.


We really aren't heading in the right direction as a people, are we? If this is how our kids have to live in order to "succeed" in the world they'll grow into, what's the point?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guns V3.0
PostPosted: August 27 19, 3:26 pm 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36901
Location: Huis Clos
G. Keenan wrote:
thrill wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
it is insane to me that people would rather have their children grow up under constant surveillance than do something to limit guns.

Buying buckets to bail when the ship is already underwater.


Also insane that school shootings are now such a regular part of American life that they can sustain entire new businesses selling mitigation services to taxpayers.


Capitalism, yay. School shootings, mass shootings are good for the security biz. True story.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guns V3.0
PostPosted: August 27 19, 4:18 pm 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 7462
Location: Chicago, IL
ghostrunner wrote:
What good are cameras, unless the idea is that they can be used during a shooting? You'd have to have someone monitoring them at the time who knows the school and can direct police or someone else to where the shooter is. Doesn't seem like that's very likely, but idk.

Cameras can help after the fact, and as a deterrent if they're obvious, but I don't see either of those things mattering in a school shooting.


They do roughly the same amount of good that ducking under a desk would do in the event the commies bombed Canton IL High School when I was a student there, while presenting the administration and school board and PTA with the same false feeling of Doing Something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guns V3.0
PostPosted: August 27 19, 5:11 pm 
Offline
The Last Word

Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Posts: 19571
To prevent mass shootings, cameras probably aren't of much use.

I can definitely get on board with using them for other purposes, though. Tracking miscreants, preventing bullying, etc........... I think there's a case to be made for them in the hallways (not a fan of them in the classrooms, necessarily).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guns V3.0
PostPosted: August 27 19, 8:32 pm 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 24286
Location: St. Louis
G. Keenan wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
HS my bro teaches at now has 160 cameras. An electrical foreman there told him this comparable or more than a casino.


I heard a report yesterday about how school districts are now hiring companies to monitor students' social media for shooting threats.

Camera's everywhere, armed teachers, online surveillance, lock down drills, clear backpacks -- it is insane to me that people would rather have their children grow up under constant surveillance than do something to limit guns.



I believe that one reason schools are targeted is because school is such a brutal place now for kids. Learning has accelerated. Extrracurriculars have accelerated. Al these security measures have accelerated. Cops in schools are there to get kids into the prison pipeline. And all this is on top of the bullying and cliquishness that has happened in school since the beginning of time. School was already a tough place for a lot of kids and we've cranked every facet of it up to 11. That book "Kids These Days" made the argument that mass shooters target schools for all these reasons, and there was some data to back up that idea. When polled, high school kids expect mass shootings to happen because they understand how bad school sucks, they understand how school could make some kids snap, and they also understand we have guns everywhere. So the irony is all these cameras and security measures contribute to the oppressiveness of school and may make shootings more likely, not less likely.


We really aren't heading in the right direction as a people, are we? If this is how our kids have to live in order to "succeed" in the world they'll grow into, what's the point?

HS kids don't need this [expletive]. Having to go to school/jail everyday with cameras and cops all for societal CYA that doesn't make anybody safe....then what they going to do with their free time? Guaranteed it is however you say "f [expletive] dat noise. " in HS speak these days.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guns V3.0
PostPosted: August 30 19, 12:29 pm 
Offline
just can't quit you.
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Posts: 24391
Location: Lost
https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-charged-making-gun-gesture-150143971.html


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group