GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 23 19, 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
 Post subject: Re: I'm Not Racist......
PostPosted: April 19 19, 6:38 am 
99% conan clips

Quote:
Yanks drop Smith's 'God Bless America' recording

Quote:
NEW YORK -- The Yankees have suspended the use of Kate Smith's recording of "God Bless America" during the seventh-inning stretch while they investigate an allegation of racism against the late singer.

The New York Daily News reported Thursday there are conflicting claims about Smith's 1939 song "That's Why Darkies Were Born." The song originated in the 1931 Broadway revue "George White's Scandals" and was considered satire, but includes racist language. It was recorded by Smith and also by Paul Robeson, who was black.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2655 ... -recording

PostPosted: April 19 19, 5:50 pm 
gone fission

I'm currently on a temporary work assignment at one of the other nuclear plants in our fleet. When my temp supervisor was introducing himself and giving his background/work history, he made a comment about how he was "not racist." This is what he said (almost word for word as I remembered most of it because it was so shocking to hear actually being said):

"I graduated in the early-80s as an electrical engineer, and my first job was with Black & Veatch in Kansas City. I grew up in a small rural town in Minnesota, so this was my first time living in a major city, and I was terrified. 22 years old and I was afraid to ever leave my house. I don't remember what the word is to describe me, but it's not racist. I was just terrified of the black people in the city because it was so violent there - there was a shooting or a robbery somewhere every single day. I'm not a racist person and have no problems working with black people, but I was absolutely terrified then of the black people everywhere. So after only being there for maybe 5-6 months I moved a couple hours north and started at a nuclear plant in southern Nebraska."

No Greg, the word you were looking for was in fact racist.

PostPosted: April 19 19, 5:56 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Swirls wrote:
I'm currently on a temporary work assignment at one of the other nuclear plants in our fleet. When my temp supervisor was introducing himself and giving his background/work history, he made a comment about how he was "not racist." This is what he said (almost word for word as I remembered most of it because it was so shocking to hear actually being said):

"I graduated in the early-80s as an electrical engineer, and my first job was with Black & Veatch in Kansas City. I grew up in a small rural town in Minnesota, so this was my first time living in a major city, and I was terrified. 22 years old and I was afraid to ever leave my house. I don't remember what the word is to describe me, but it's not racist. I was just terrified of the black people in the city because it was so violent there - there was a shooting or a robbery somewhere every single day. I'm not a racist person and have no problems working with black people, but I was absolutely terrified then of the black people everywhere. So after only being there for maybe 5-6 months I moved a couple hours north and started at a nuclear plant in southern Nebraska."

No Greg, the word you were looking for was in fact racist.

What an intro by that guy.

And yeah, downtown KC just screams violence.

PostPosted: May 15 19, 8:28 am 
Hall Of Famer

An update to this Civil Rights Commission fiasco. Yesterday the commission was supposed to meet at Noon, which is when they always meet, and when they voted to meet at the last meeting. Well, only 4 of the commissioners showed up. So they didn't have a quorum. Meanwhile, the night before, someone at the city called for a meeting at 1:15PM. It was never voted on or anything, someone from the city just sent out a meeting notice for that time. Everyone showed up for that meeting - the old commissioners the city is trying to replace, and some of the new ones the mayor tried to appoint, along with a lawyer from the city. It was an absolute farce. The meeting accomplished nothing. They spent a ton of time just debating whether they were even having a "real" meeting since it did not go through the normal process of voting on meeting times and dates in a public manner. There was also debate about which commissioners were the "real" ones. That debate is just getting started. Protesters were there disrupting the meeting at times and they brought in six cops to intimidate them. There is going to be another meeting Friday now, and this one will be a "real" one, I think. It will probably be even more wild than this one was. If the city rams through these changes, they're going to get sued and probably lose, and it will cost a lot of money. The business interests pushing these changes can go [expletive] themselves.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23