GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently April 19 19, 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm Not Racist......
PostPosted: February 6 19, 11:22 am 
99% conan clips

now the VA AG is saying he wore blackface in 1980 in college!

hey zeus christo

PostPosted: February 6 19, 2:27 pm 
Mayor of GRB

PostPosted: February 6 19, 2:38 pm 
Mayor of GRB

I've told the story before, but my wife and I were offered jobs at Texas A & M in the early 90's, and when we went there for an on-campus visit and interviews, several faculty were very straightforward and told us that the new Greek organizations on campus--which were allowed to offset the influence of the school's cadet corps--had recently held a plantation night, complete with blackface slaves. When somebody went up to one of the fraternity presidents and confronted him about it, he said, "Who's going to tell on us?"

Of course people knew it was racist back then. That's exactly why they did it. Blackface in these circles is like people asking the standard St. Louis question "What high school did you go to?" It's a really quick way to bond over something--not only racial exclusivity, but likely sense of humor, politics, cultural attitudes, the whole nine yards.

PostPosted: February 6 19, 7:22 pm 
Hall Of Famer

sighyoung wrote:
I've told the story before, but my wife and I were offered jobs at Texas A & M in the early 90's, and when we went there for an on-campus visit and interviews, several faculty were very straightforward and told us that the new Greek organizations on campus--which were allowed to offset the influence of the school's cadet corps--had recently held a plantation night, complete with blackface slaves. When somebody went up to one of the fraternity presidents and confronted him about it, he said, "Who's going to tell on us?"

Of course people knew it was racist back then. That's exactly why they did it. Blackface in these circles is like people asking the standard St. Louis question "What high school did you go to?" It's a really quick way to bond over something--not only racial exclusivity, but likely sense of humor, politics, cultural attitudes, the whole nine yards.

When I first encountered people from St. Louis at Marquette they asked the High School question. When I told them I went to Aquinas they immediately wanted to score some weed.

PostPosted: February 6 19, 9:12 pm 
Mayor of GRB

PostPosted: February 7 19, 7:40 pm 
Mayor of GRB

PostPosted: February 7 19, 7:43 pm 
Mayor of GRB

sighyoung wrote:

By the way, my son received material from VMI. For a long time, I saved the Christmas postcard from there with an illustration of the Stonewall Jackson statue wearing a Santa Claus hat, but my wife made me throw it away.

PostPosted: February 15 19, 1:56 pm 
Consider him admonished

33anda3rd wrote:
One of the stars of Empire was attacked in Chicago. They yelled racial and homophobic slurs at him, and tied a noose around his neck. Jussie Smollett is both black and and out gay man. The attackers poured what is believed to be bleach on him. They yelled "This is MAGA country" at him while attacking him.

It's time to just universally accept that MAGA is a hostile, hateful, racist movement and those red hats are their symbol. Those hats need to be retired forever in the trash bin and the people who wear them need to get help to fix their [expletive] attitudes.

mods: I think you should also consider changing the username of the person going by "MAGA" on this site because it's an offensive tag that symbolizes racism. I think if a user had a swastika avatar you'd act, and going by "MAGA" is effectively the same thing.

PostPosted: February 15 19, 2:13 pm 
Perennial All-Star

this is just a weird story....maybe I'm racist against white people, but those guys don't looks like MAGA types I would have pictured

PostPosted: February 15 19, 4:53 pm 
All-Star

That’s not being very MAGA.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next