GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 21 19, 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm Not Racist......
PostPosted: February 21 19, 11:32 am 
Perennial All-Star

what...the...[expletive]...

Quote:
Actor Jussie Smollett claimed to be the victim of a racist and homophobic attack because he was dissatisfied with his salary on the hip-hop TV drama "Empire," Chicago's police chief said on Thursday.

“Jussie Smollett took advantage of the pain and anger of racism to promote his career,” Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said at a press conference. “I’m left hanging my head and asking why. Why would anyone, especially an African-American man, use the symbolism of a noose?”

“Accusations within this phony attack received national attention for weeks,” Johnson continued. “Celebrities, news commentators and even presidential candidates weighed in on something that was choreographed by an actor.”

Johnson began the press conference by lamenting the attention Smollett’s case has received.

“As I look out into the crowd, I just wish that the families of gun violence in this city got this much attention,” he said.

Police later identified and questioned two “persons of interest” captured on surveillance video near the scene around the time of the alleged attack. The men, brothers Ola and Abel Osundairo, told police that Smollett paid them $3,500 to help orchestrate and stage the crime after he became upset that a threatening letter — addressed to him and sent to the Fox set where “Empire” is filmed — did not get enough attention.

The crude letter also had “MAGA” written on it. Police said Thursday that they believe Smollett sent the letter to himself.

“This stunt was orchestrated by Smollett because he was dissatisfied with his salary,” Johnson told reporters.

I mean, he clearly was using the pieces of [expletive] MAGA and general racist tones to gain attention for this attack...shouldn't he face hate crimes himself for creating this racist false narrative?

PostPosted: February 21 19, 11:34 am 
Hall Of Famer

cardsfantx wrote:

Quote:
Actor Jussie Smollett claimed to be the victim of a racist and homophobic attack because he was dissatisfied with his salary on the hip-hop TV drama "Empire," Chicago's police chief said on Thursday.

“Jussie Smollett took advantage of the pain and anger of racism to promote his career,” Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said at a press conference. “I’m left hanging my head and asking why. Why would anyone, especially an African-American man, use the symbolism of a noose?”

“Accusations within this phony attack received national attention for weeks,” Johnson continued. “Celebrities, news commentators and even presidential candidates weighed in on something that was choreographed by an actor.”

Johnson began the press conference by lamenting the attention Smollett’s case has received.

“As I look out into the crowd, I just wish that the families of gun violence in this city got this much attention,” he said.

Police later identified and questioned two “persons of interest” captured on surveillance video near the scene around the time of the alleged attack. The men, brothers Ola and Abel Osundairo, told police that Smollett paid them $3,500 to help orchestrate and stage the crime after he became upset that a threatening letter — addressed to him and sent to the Fox set where “Empire” is filmed — did not get enough attention.

The crude letter also had “MAGA” written on it. Police said Thursday that they believe Smollett sent the letter to himself.

“This stunt was orchestrated by Smollett because he was dissatisfied with his salary,” Johnson told reporters.

I mean, he clearly was using the pieces of [expletive] MAGA and general racist tones to gain attention for this attack...shouldn't he face hate crimes himself for creating this racist false narrative?

Sounds right to me.

PostPosted: February 21 19, 12:05 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I don't see how hate crimes charges would stick there since it doesn't seem to have been motivated by hate and there's no clear victim.

PostPosted: February 21 19, 12:07 pm 
Consider him admonished

cardsfantx wrote:

Quote:

No. That’s ridiculous

PostPosted: February 21 19, 12:18 pm 
Perennial All-Star

ghostrunner wrote:
I don't see how hate crimes charges would stick there since it doesn't seem to have been motivated by hate and there's no clear victim.

Doesn’t seem to be motivated by hate? He was clearly using racism as his mechanism? And there doesn’t need to be a victim, just a crime (example graffiti can be a hate crime; not directed at anyone specific)

Quote:
Hate Crime- a crime, typically one involving violence, that is motivated by prejudice on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, or other grounds.

PostPosted: February 21 19, 12:44 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Boy who cried wolf saga. If there is hate-crime harm that guy caused, it is to people that really are (future) victims of hate crimes and their recourse in the legal system.

Which really makes no sense, because other than the specific legal people involved with this case, who in their right mind** is going to use this C-list celebrity case as influence/precedent for not believing the next hate crime accusor.

**other than someone in the justice system that is extremely biased/racist to begin with. And if that is the case, they wouldnt be using this guy as a precedent, but more so an excuse to dismiss a crime accusation.

Speaking of precedent-with the coast guard guy, one could argue he actually does cause a confirmation bias of view about dangerous commonality of racism amongst the ranks.

PostPosted: February 21 19, 12:52 pm 
Hall Of Famer

cardsfantx wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:

Doesn’t seem to be motivated by hate? He was clearly using racism as his mechanism? And there doesn’t need to be a victim, just a crime (example graffiti can be a hate crime; not directed at anyone specific)

Quote:
Hate Crime- a crime, typically one involving violence, that is motivated by prejudice on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, or other grounds.

Given that this was done to himself by himself then how is it motivated by hate? Graffiti still has a community that's a victim.

This crime takes advantage of hate, but that's not what the law is for.

PostPosted: February 21 19, 1:29 pm 
Hall Of Famer

This crime was not motivated by racism. It was motivated by desperately wanting attention or some other kind of personal issue along those lines.

PostPosted: February 21 19, 5:00 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Jussie and the elected idiots in Virginia are giving the Fox/MAGA crowd lots of fodder.

PostPosted: February 22 19, 6:09 am 
Perennial All-Star

I know it's before his time but how could you not look at what Matthew Shepard went through and justify this. Obviously he knows the symbolism of the noose and what that meant for equal rights. Not to sound vindictive but I hope he serves a full sentence and never goes back to the shallow and only self fulfilling career of Hollywood which brought him here.

Hopefully he can turn this into something positive, I have no idea how.

It helps wash the hateful policies of a racist and homophobic president and his followers, gives them a false platform to be a victim.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next