GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently July 23 19, 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm Not Racist......
PostPosted: March 22 19, 9:47 am 
Perennial All-Star

JFC what a story. Sounds like 1918 Alabama.

PostPosted: March 22 19, 1:12 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

pioneer98 wrote:
This is kind of a rant post but this is the most blatant example I've witnessed of institutional racism. But it would not have been possible without individual racists doing their part, too. I think I talked about it a little bit on here, but here's the story...

- The head of our Civil Right Commission is a strong, eloquent black woman with a PhD in law. She made an enemy by fighting against a local college's plan to expand into a neighborhood that would displace a bunch of poor minorities. It is literally her job to do things like this.
- The city council and mayor then tried to change up the commission. Right now it is an independent entity run by a board made up of appointees from the mayor and approved by the city council. They proposed eliminating the board, and just having the commission report directly to the city council.
- Within 2 weeks of that proposal becoming public, the police arrested the head of the civil rights commission over a "domestic dispute". She had some altercation with a guy and she ended up with a broken leg. They didn't arrest the guy, only her.
- The cops then went to the media and claimed there was video of the incident showing that she was the aggressor. The public has yet to see the video. The police tried her via the media because our cops are also racist [expletive].
- The idea to put the commission under the city council was probably illegal, because the city council is one of the groups that the commission is supposed to be watchdogging. Due to that and a lot of public outcry, the mayor finally dropped that plan.
- Instead the mayor tried to appoint 3 of his buddies to the board of the commission instead. One of them works at the college that the commission pissed off. Another one is an old, straight white guy who's been friends with the mayor for 30 years.
- The 3 people on the board who were supposed to be replaced by these 3 yahoos claimed they still have the seats because they were never asked to step down. So they are fighting these appointments as well.
- The trial for this "domestic dispute" is going on right now for the head of the commission. It's painful to follow. The woman's daughter was called to the stand in her defense, since she was an eye witness and also saw this stalker do other things to this woman, like choke her.

I think she will be found innocent unless the jury is also full of racist [expletive], which should not surprise me at this point. The whole thing is a travesty.

I would move.

PostPosted: March 23 19, 12:45 am 
Hall Of Famer

That trial ended today in a hung jury. Prosecutors have to decide if they are going to re-try her or not. All the crimes she was on trial for were misdemeanors. Such a waste of time.

PostPosted: March 23 19, 12:53 am 
Hall Of Famer

33anda3rd wrote:
I would move.

There is systemic racism everywhere but Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois are almost always in the top 5 worst states for black people to live in. It's very sad and I'm still learning how bad it is. We have thought about moving many times but since we are white we do OK here. The decision to move could be made for us if/when the bottom falls out of the Midwest economy again.

PostPosted: March 25 19, 11:26 am 
Hall Of Famer

Today I learned my co-worker thinks white men are the ones really being discriminated against. It's hilarious to me because our office is like 70% white guys. So if it weren't for discrimination, it would be like 90% white guys? I didn't ask that question, but I tell them that I didn't feel discriminated against at all.

This little rant was sparked because the employee survey came out today. We do this every 2 years but this is the first time they included questions about gender identification and sexual orientation in the demographics questions. The new questions triggered my co worker I guess. The survey is anonymous and compiled by a 3rd party to try to keep things unbiased.

PostPosted: March 26 19, 9:59 am 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: April 17 19, 7:31 am 
Hall Of Famer

The latest in my city's civil rights saga. The director of the Civil Rights Commission did their homework. They found that the statute says that board members whose term has expired are not automatically removed from the board. The mayor has to ask them to step down within 10 days of their term expiring, or they can stay on and serve another term. Well, he did not try to appoint 3 new people to it for like a month. So since it is looking like those 3 people he appointed can't be seated, he just unilaterally said he "fired" the other 4 earlier this week (there are 7 on the board, so he's tried to replace all of them now). I think he's screwed. I think the Civil Rights Commission will sue if they try to go through with this, and they will probably win, and it will cost the city a bunch of money. A bunch of us are going to the city council meeting tonight to give them an earful.

PostPosted: April 17 19, 11:55 am 
Hall Of Famer

Religion, but it’s fuzzy. Also, I’d just like to formally disavow all atheist spokespeople.

PostPosted: April 18 19, 7:05 am 
Hall Of Famer

pioneer98 wrote:
The latest in my city's civil rights saga. The director of the Civil Rights Commission did their homework. They found that the statute says that board members whose term has expired are not automatically removed from the board. The mayor has to ask them to step down within 10 days of their term expiring, or they can stay on and serve another term. Well, he did not try to appoint 3 new people to it for like a month. So since it is looking like those 3 people he appointed can't be seated, he just unilaterally said he "fired" the other 4 earlier this week (there are 7 on the board, so he's tried to replace all of them now). I think he's screwed. I think the Civil Rights Commission will sue if they try to go through with this, and they will probably win, and it will cost the city a bunch of money. A bunch of us are going to the city council meeting tonight to give them an earful.

It was pretty crazy last night. First, the city council gave an award to a woman for some housing justice work she did. It was a little old white lady in a wheelchair. After accepting the award, she used her time at the mic to speak out against the changes to the Civil Rights Commission. Then at the end during the public comment there was a ton of people that got up and spoke out against it, and there was a lot of applause. There was one racist boomer white lady who spoke in favor of the changes and she got booed.

I really wonder if our mayor might not run for higher office. He already said he's not running for reelection as mayor, and our congressman (Democrat Dave Loebsack) just announced his retirement. I have a hunch our mayor may run for that seat. So, you all might get to know our wonderful mayor better soon. Just a hunch that I have, I may be way off.

PostPosted: April 18 19, 9:25 am 
99% conan clips

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next