GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 27 19, 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Midterms
PostPosted: November 27 18, 12:43 am 
Hall Of Famer

PostPosted: November 27 18, 8:19 am 
99% conan clips

so it seems the nooses were apparently put out as a reminder of the states racist/lynching history but i'm not sure anyone has been "caught". anyways, it'd be awesome if she lost but i will just assume the worst for now.

PostPosted: November 27 18, 8:52 am 
Hall Of Famer

Jocephus wrote:
so it seems the nooses were apparently put out as a reminder of the states racist/lynching history but i'm not sure anyone has been "caught". anyways, it'd be awesome if she lost but i will just assume the worst for now.

she will win going away.*

* jinx?

PostPosted: November 27 18, 9:08 am 
99% conan clips

Quote:
When a lobbyist who works for MLB could not attend a fundraiser put on by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in mid-November, the league was asked instead to donate money to Hyde-Smith, according to sources. The league cut the check for Hyde-Smith’s campaign on Nov. 12 or 13, two sources told Yahoo Sports – a day or two after the lynching comments were first made public by the Jackson Free Press. The campaign reported the contribution in a Nov. 24 filing.

https://sports.yahoo.com/donations-cind ... 27945.html

it's just amazing to me how we let corporations and these huge conglomerate entities just pay for whatever gov't favors they want. i'm baffled people don't see or question the conflict of interests

PostPosted: November 27 18, 9:28 am 
Hall Of Famer

Jocephus wrote:
Quote:
When a lobbyist who works for MLB could not attend a fundraiser put on by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in mid-November, the league was asked instead to donate money to Hyde-Smith, according to sources. The league cut the check for Hyde-Smith’s campaign on Nov. 12 or 13, two sources told Yahoo Sports – a day or two after the lynching comments were first made public by the Jackson Free Press. The campaign reported the contribution in a Nov. 24 filing.

https://sports.yahoo.com/donations-cind ... 27945.html

it's just amazing to me how we let corporations and these huge conglomerate entities just pay for whatever gov't favors they want. i'm baffled people don't see or question the conflict of interests

So they wanted to donate to McConnell, but turtle man diverts them to the upcoming Senate race and MLB just says "uh, ok". Gross and bizarre.

PostPosted: December 1 18, 9:54 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
Even on their way out the door...

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1068 ... 86433.html

PostPosted: December 1 18, 11:17 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Radbird wrote:

This state has been the model for the GOP. People can about Trump all they want, but the conservatives GOP are the issue.

PostPosted: December 1 18, 9:21 pm 
Hall Of Famer

This is wild. Going to people's houses and taking their absentee ballots.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... den-county

Quote:
North Carolina election officials have declined to certify the winner of the state’s Ninth Congressional District election, after allegations were made suggesting absentee ballots may have been tampered with.

Elections officials and Democrats have been careful not to allege any specific wrongdoing so far. But the allegations appear to suggest some kind of scheme, undertaken by people supporting the GOP campaign, to influence the results of an election ultimately decided by less than 1,000 votes.

According to the votes as currently counted, Republican Mark Harris beat Democrat Dan McCready by a little more than 900 votes to become the next Congress member from the Ninth. But earlier this week, the state board of elections unanimously agreed it would not certify the election results, making vague references to “unfortunate activities” that raised doubts about their veracity.

Some specific irregularities were later revealed in sworn affidavits sent by Democratic attorneys to the state board. Multiple voters described an unidentified woman coming to voters’ houses and taking their absentee ballots. Some ballots were uncompleted; the woman promised to finish filling them out. In other affidavits, voters alleged that a local political operative was working for the Harris campaign on absentee ballots and that he would be paid a bonus if Harris beat McCready.

PostPosted: December 2 18, 10:17 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Freed Roger wrote:
Radbird wrote:

This state has been the model for the GOP. People can about Trump all they want, but the conservatives GOP are the issue.

Yup. We've had crazy racists before. David Duke ran for POTUS in '92. He got less than 1% of the vote in the GOP primary. But Trump in 2016 ran through the GOP primaries as if they were predetermined then beat arguably the best-qualified person for the job in the history of modern Presidential politics. That we went from the Point A of Duke in 1992 to the point B of Trump in 2016 in less than 30 years in a country that is supposed to be pretty advanced is appalling. The people who went from dismissing Duke as voters in '92 who embraced Trump, a bald-faced liar and ourtight racist, in 2016 is what's wrong with our country, moreso that Trump himself. They're the problem, the ignorant, racist, xenophobic, misogynistic unwashed idiots in this country.

PostPosted: December 3 18, 11:14 am 
Hall Of Famer

33anda3rd wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
Radbird wrote:

Yup. We've had crazy racists before. David Duke ran for POTUS in '92. He got less than 1% of the vote in the GOP primary. But Trump in 2016 ran through the GOP primaries as if they were predetermined then beat arguably the best-qualified person for the job in the history of modern Presidential politics. That we went from the Point A of Duke in 1992 to the point B of Trump in 2016 in less than 30 years in a country that is supposed to be pretty advanced is appalling. The people who went from dismissing Duke as voters in '92 who embraced Trump, a bald-faced liar and ourtight racist, in 2016 is what's wrong with our country, moreso that Trump himself. They're the problem, the ignorant, racist, xenophobic, misogynistic unwashed idiots in this country.

You are likely right that there are a lot more open white supremacists now than in the David Duke days. I still believe that these people are a loud minority of Trump voters. I think most Trump voters are ones that don't think racism is a big deal, or is overblown. This is also a form of racism, or at least ignorance. These folks resent getting all the blame for racism, because they (correctly!) grasp that the whole system and country is racist. Blaming just them for all these problems is unfair. Like, look at how extremely racist policing still persists in large, liberal cities like Chicago and New York, to name one example. Liberals have to recognize they are not innocent when it comes to these things.

I am totally on board with calling out open white supremacists, shunning them, and even getting them fired from their jobs. But for the rest of these folks, a better message would be "Let's fight racism together", instead of "You need to stop being racist."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next