GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently April 22 18, 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: January 10 18, 5:17 am 
Hall Of Famer

Seems to me like it could be.

Quote:
A three-judge panel on Tuesday struck down North Carolina’s congressional map as an unconstitutional partisan gerrymander, giving the state legislature only two weeks to adopt a new map and potentially throwing this year's elections into chaos.

In a unanimous decision, the panel said that if the General Assembly fails to enact a new map by Jan. 24, a special master will be appointed to draw the districts.

Quote:
"Rather than seeking to advance any democratic or constitutional interest, the state legislator responsible for drawing the 2016 Plan said he drew the map to advantage Republican candidates because he 'think[s] electing Republicans is better than electing Democrats,'" Circuit Court Judge James Wynn wrote in the ruling.

The two week deadline for new boundaries is a head-scratcher to me. Seems almost impossible. What are the judges playing at?

Last edited by Joe Shlabotnik on February 19 18, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 10 18, 7:55 am 
Hall Of Famer

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Seems to me like it could be.

Quote:
A three-judge panel on Tuesday struck down North Carolina’s congressional map as an unconstitutional partisan gerrymander, giving the state legislature only two weeks to adopt a new map and potentially throwing this year's elections into chaos.

In a unanimous decision, the panel said that if the General Assembly fails to enact a new map by Jan. 24, a special master will be appointed to draw the districts.

Quote:
"Rather than seeking to advance any democratic or constitutional interest, the state legislator responsible for drawing the 2016 Plan said he drew the map to advantage Republican candidates because he 'think[s] electing Republicans is better than electing Democrats,'" Circuit Court Judge James Wynn wrote in the ruling.

The two week deadline for new boundaries is a head-scratcher to me. Seems almost impossible. What are the judges playing at?

I wonder if it's even that hard. I follow a few stat/redistricting geeks on Twitter and I've seen them come up with sample maps for NC since it's been in the news so much for this. I imagine the data is all out there, and a software generated map would just need a little refinement. No idea what rules NC may have specifically though.

PostPosted: January 10 18, 7:59 am 
Perennial All-Star

At this point it needs to happen quickly so candidates know which district they're in (or if they need to quickly buy a new house to move back into their district). There's already a starting spot for existing districts, and I'm sure they have data about populations per (area) in the state. If you aren't trying to gerrymander to maximize the advantage for one party, then it shouldn't take long to make the shapes more reasonable and then check to make sure the populations in each district are equal within an acceptable margin. Yes, it will need several iterations, but they're not starting from scratch.

PostPosted: January 10 18, 8:05 am 
Hall Of Famer

Maybe I am wrong, but I bet the gerrymandered maps started from fairer maps generated by software or something. Then they took the fairer maps and subtracted and added to them to gerrymander them to Republicans' advantage. Just go back to the original maps as a starting point and instead of tweaking to one party's advantage, tweak them as needed to keep them neutral. I don't know if 2 weeks is reasonable but I don't think it would be that hard.

PostPosted: January 10 18, 10:21 am 
MLB.TV Customer Support

I wish we'd just go to a proportional system to elect any of the population based seats.

PostPosted: January 10 18, 10:50 am 
Everday Unicorn

The two weeks is because primaries are coming and deadlines for candidates to file to run for office are even sooner.

This is absolutely going up on appeal, and this court's decision will likely be stayed while the appeal is pending.

So here's the deal - racial gerrymandering, big no no. But partisan gerrymandering has not ever been found unconstitutional by SCOTUS. This ultimately has to get decided there. The good news is that SCOTUS already heard oral argument this fall on Wisconsin's political gerrymander case, so frankly the NC case probably will be controlled by the outcome of that one, which should come soon.

Frankly, the NC case is pretty egregious. The state elected a democratic governor and alternates between going R and D for president. But the state legislature drew a map that put 10 out of 13 seats in republican control. That's not how tossup states should be divided, which is why the district court panel all found an equal protection clause violation.

PostPosted: January 10 18, 4:09 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

PostPosted: January 10 18, 4:16 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Radbird wrote:

That's just an abomination. It has to be stopped but how?

PostPosted: January 10 18, 4:35 pm 
Perennial All-Star

IMADreamer wrote:
That's just an abomination. It has to be stopped but how?

PostPosted: February 19 18, 2:58 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Penn Supremes have published their map.