GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 25 19, 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: ICE and deportations
PostPosted: February 13 19, 10:08 pm 
Hall Of Famer

ICE arrests mother of 3 during routine check-in, slates her for deportation
Quote:
48-year-old married mother of three was taken into custody by ICE agents Tuesday after she reported to the downtown office for what she thought was a routine check-in. Ilsa Guzman entered the United States illegally in 1999, crossing the border into California, reports CBS St. Louis affiliate KMOV-TV.

She voluntarily reported to federal agents at the time and requested asylum, which wasn't granted. However, she's attempted to follow the law, wearing an ankle monitor and reporting for routine check-ins.

Guzman, who's lived in the St. Louis area since 2000 and married a U.S. citizen last year, has no criminal record and has paid taxes for each of the three jobs she's worked, according to her attorney.

"Go after the real criminals, leave my wife alone. She did what she was supposed to," said her husband of just over a year, Steve Miller.

Her check-ins have usually been with a contractor for ICE, but she was told to report to the field office Tuesday at 9 a.m.

Guzman and her lawyer, Evita Tolu, arrived for the appointment and agents told Tolu they needed to speak to Guzman. They took her behind closed doors and she never returned.

When the agents came back, they had Guzman's personal effects in a bag.

She's now scheduled for deportation back to Honduras this week.

Guzman's husband filed a petition seeking permanent residency for her shortly after they married, but that petition is still pending. Tolu said Guzman's residency would have been resolved within six months if Tuesday's events hadn't happened.

If Guzman is deported before the petition is approved, Tulo said, there's no chance of her returning to the United States.

PostPosted: May 7 19, 12:59 pm 
Hall Of Famer

State Department Continues Fight to Strip Gay Couple’s Two-Year-Old Son of Birthright Citizenship
Quote:
Ever since twins Aiden and Ethan Dvash-Banks were born in Toronto in September 2016, they have shared everything—the same button nose, the same swoopy haircut, the same pug/terrier mix London. But for years, the U.S. State Department has fought an escalating legal battle to ensure that they don’t share one important thing: American citizenship.

Although Aiden and Ethan’s fathers, Andrew and Elad Dvash-Banks, have been married since 2010, only Andrew is an American citizen. While that would be enough for children in a heterosexual marriage to qualify for U.S. citizenship while born abroad, the State Department has held the Dvash-Bankses to a different standard, requiring the family to undergo DNA testing to establish that Aiden—but not Ethan—was the biological son of a U.S. citizen.

The boys’ parents sued, arguing in federal court that proving a biological connection between a child and a U.S. citizen parent isn’t required to extend birthright citizenship from a married parent to a child, and in February, the judge ruled in their favor.

“The basis for the State Department’s imposition of a biological requirement is its strained interpretation” of existing immigration law, U.S. District Judge John F. Walter wrote in a decision issued in February, dismissing the department’s attempts to institute a biological testing standard for the children of binational married couples “unilateral.”

But on Monday, the State Department appealed that decision, continuing a years-long bid to strip Ethan of his citizenship.

“Once again, the State Department is refusing to recognize Andrew and Elad’s rights as a married couple. The government’s decision to try to strip Ethan of his citizenship is unconstitutional, discriminatory, and morally reprehensible,” said Aaron C. Morris, executive director of Immigration Equality, a nonprofit that advocates for LGBT people in the immigration system. Morris successfully argued in federal court that a policy requiring genetic testing for the children of same-sex binational couples created a new double standard for citizenship: one for the children of gay couples and one for the children of straight couples.

PostPosted: May 7 19, 2:45 pm 
tl;dr

I'm confused. The kids are twins but the government is only trying to strip citizenship from one of the twins? Is that some [expletive] up idea of compromise in their minds? I have to be missing something or not understanding something correctly in that story.

Somebody please correct me. I'm serious, please tell me what I missed because if I am not missing anything and our government is seriously only trying to strip citizenship from one twin... I just don't even know. I can't process how stupid and evil that even would actually be.

PostPosted: May 7 19, 3:54 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

tlombard wrote:
I'm confused. The kids are twins but the government is only trying to strip citizenship from one of the twins? Is that some [expletive] up idea of compromise in their minds? I have to be missing something or not understanding something correctly in that story.

Somebody please correct me. I'm serious, please tell me what I missed because if I am not missing anything and our government is seriously only trying to strip citizenship from one twin... I just don't even know. I can't process how stupid and evil that even would actually be.

The govt. is saying that one of the kids' genetics come from the father who is not a US citizen, so the baby can't be a citizen because he is more closely genetically related to the parent who is not a citizen.

PostPosted: May 8 19, 10:28 am 
tl;dr

G. Keenan wrote:
tlombard wrote:

The govt. is saying that one of the kids' genetics come from the father who is not a US citizen, so the baby can't be a citizen because he is more closely genetically related to the parent who is not a citizen.

Our government regularly makes mistakes and detains/tries to deport lawfully legal citizens and residents in ways that make no sense because it would have only taken somebody thirty seconds to verify the persons status and now somebody in the State Department thinks that they're a qualified geneticist? They are obviously only making this case because there are two fathers and not a traditional husband/wife. Screw that. Burn this entire administration to the ground and let's start over with... never mind. It would probably still end up too much of the same. I'm at the point now where I just want to burn everything down, strip the wealth from everybody to put every person in this country (legally or illegally) on the same footing and let's see what happens from there.

I don't honestly believe in burning everything down and putting everybody back on the same footing in the literal sense but something has to happen and I feel lost because I don't know what that something is.

PostPosted: May 8 19, 10:34 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

tlombard wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
tlombard wrote:

Our government regularly makes mistakes and detains/tries to deport lawfully legal citizens and residents in ways that make no sense because it would have only taken somebody thirty seconds to verify the persons status and now somebody in the State Department thinks that they're a qualified geneticist? They are obviously only making this case because there are two fathers and not a traditional husband/wife. Screw that. Burn this entire administration to the ground and let's start over with... never mind. It would probably still end up too much of the same. I'm at the point now where I just want to burn everything down, strip the wealth from everybody to put every person in this country (legally or illegally) on the same footing and let's see what happens from there.

I don't honestly believe in burning everything down and putting everybody back on the same footing in the literal sense but something has to happen and I feel lost because I don't know what that something is.

It seems awfully mean spirited, doesn't it?

PostPosted: May 21 19, 2:02 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10