GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently April 25 19, 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 736 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next
PostPosted: February 4 19, 11:30 am 
Consider him admonished

lukethedrifter wrote:
Again, you don’t just get to disavow a huge swath of America because they don’t meet your criteria. Not on the cultural scale we are talking about.

Maybe I’m not understanding what you’re getting at here.

I’m a Christian and I have major problems with how some prominent Christians treat other people, to the point that I question the sincerity of their Christianity and if they actually crack open a Bible.

I’m not allowed to do that?

PostPosted: February 4 19, 11:39 am 
bronoun enthusiast

This issue is very important to me because the political & social representation of mainstream Christianity in our culture was the first crack in the dam of faith. I spent many years figuring out how to justify my passionate belief in the importance and value of the teachings of Jesus with the people who profess to represent those beliefs out in the wider world. I understand the desire to distance yourselves from self-professed Christians who have no intention to try their best to live like Christ, but ultimately, those creeps are your burden to carry. How you fight back against it beyond trying to keep it real on a baseball message board, I'm not sure. It's a huge job and very difficult.

I think it starts with humility and by not being defensive. Stripping yourself of pride is always the first step to representing Jesus imo.

PostPosted: February 4 19, 11:51 am 
Consider him admonished

If I’m coming across as defensive, I apologize. I’m definitely working on being prideful.

You’re right thrill, the question for me is what do I do about it. I think we should point out when we feel supposed Christian leaders are wrong (and when they’re right, by the way) and support our community by living a mission centered life. I’m not sure politics is the avenue to bring about change for Christians, but others feel differently. I attend the same church as a number of local political leaders and a well known federal level politician. I don’t always agree with their politics. Though I know that for me, I’m not called to be politically active and instead have other talents that can be used for good.

PostPosted: February 4 19, 11:59 am 
bronoun enthusiast

Tim wrote:
If I’m coming across as defensive, I apologize. I’m definitely working on being prideful.

My bad. I wasn't directing that at you or anyone else, specifically. Just saying in general.

PostPosted: February 4 19, 12:04 pm 
Consider him admonished

thrill wrote:
Tim wrote:

My bad. I wasn't directing that at you or anyone else, specifically. Just saying in general.

Right on

PostPosted: February 4 19, 12:08 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Tim wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
Again, you don’t just get to disavow a huge swath of America because they don’t meet your criteria. Not on the cultural scale we are talking about.

I’m a Christian and I have major problems with how some prominent Christians treat other people, to the point that I question the sincerity of their Christianity and if they actually crack open a Bible.

Absolutely you are. Especially on a personal level. Not that it matters but i could not respect your viewpoint any more, i don’t think.
This discussion was centering on the issues many of us (you included it seems) with much of mainstream Christianity and it’s support of reprehensible people and actions. Tx and others keep repeating - and I’m interpreting and paraphrasing- that those people aren’t true Christians thus “Christianity” bears none of the blame.

PostPosted: February 4 19, 12:19 pm 
Perennial All-Star

lukethedrifter wrote:
Tim wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:

Absolutely you are. Especially on a personal level. Not that it matters but i could not respect your viewpoint any more, i don’t think.
This discussion was centering on the issues many of us (you included it seems) with much of mainstream Christianity and it’s support of reprehensible people and actions. Tx and others keep repeating - and I’m interpreting and paraphrasing- that those people aren’t true Christians thus “Christianity” bears none of the blame.

I don't recall ever saying Christians bear none of the blame.

I have only pointed out, that the politicians mentioned don't seem to be christians...at all.

PostPosted: February 4 19, 12:24 pm 
Don't tone police me bro!

Yeah, at some point we have to address the fact that not everything is relative, objective definitions can be analyzed, and that many powerful people are just con artists and the victims of con artists.

Last edited by Schlich on February 4 19, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 4 19, 12:25 pm 
Don't tone police me bro!

Like, if we want to talk about it as a sociopolitical phenomenon, fine. But if we want to talk about religion the conversation has to go deeper than that.

PostPosted: February 4 19, 12:38 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

thrill wrote:
Unfortunately, it is the job of people like you to change those perceptions. It is not the job of someone like 33 to give "real christians" the benefit of the doubt.

Yes and but so then let's also take this one step further.

It is required.
Of every good christian/catholic.
To condemn all who act poorly and with ill/evil intent in the name of their religion.
It is required.
To shame the Kim Davises and Mike Pences of the world, and to condemn them for acting in the name of their god.
It is required.
To not sweep the BS of bad actions taken in the name of their savior under the rug.
Or they shall not receive the benefit of any doubt.
And they shall be entitled to no high horse, morally speaking.
They shall be perceived as hypocrites.
And dismissed when they start to talk about values.
Until they speak out and wash away the terrible actors who tarnish their image.
When they are the vast majority, and the word christian has a connotation with the old-school do-gooder church folk, they can come back to being trusted and perceived as moral and good by those of us who don't believe what they believe and who now presently find their group as a whole to be immoral, hypocritical and downright horrible.

Last edited by 33anda3rd on February 4 19, 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 736 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next