GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 17 19, 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: February 15 19, 10:29 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

Perhaps there should be 2 threads on Christianity since there is definitely a bifurcation here; one fork talking about Christianity as it applies to politics and society; the other fork speaking to the real essence of Christianity and what that means to individual GRBers.

Last edited by lukethedrifter on February 15 19, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 15 19, 1:54 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Radbird wrote:

Same woman who just this month compared homosexuality to bestiality and pedophilia. She's on a roll, this here christian.

PostPosted: February 18 19, 9:01 am 
Mayor of GRB

lukethedrifter wrote:
Perhaps there should be 2 threads on Christianity since there is definitely a bifurcation here; one fork talking about Christianity as it applies to politics and society; the other fork speaking to the real essence of Christianity and what that means to individual GRBers.

This is what I've seen in this thread, as well. I've long thought about posting here, but I find it difficult to because the discussion is nebulous and shifts so much, so that any post would seem like a non sequitur.

PostPosted: February 18 19, 9:05 am 
Mayor of GRB

Radbird wrote:

Pontius Pilate and the Philistines ftw.

PostPosted: February 18 19, 9:33 am 
Hall Of Famer

Radbird wrote:

There is a Facebook tag group called "Conservatives identifying with the villain once again" where I saw this Wyoming thing. But most of the content in that group is memes where some conservative made a villain like The Joker represent the conservative viewpoint. Examples:

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: February 18 19, 9:34 am 
Hall Of Famer

sighyoung wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:

This is what I've seen in this thread, as well. I've long thought about posting here, but I find it difficult to because the discussion is nebulous and shifts so much, so that any post would seem like a non sequitur.

It's almost like our politics were meant to be secular and separate from religion.

PostPosted: May 6 19, 12:26 pm 
Consider him admonished

A rarity.

This Church Paid Off $2.2 Million in Medical Debt for Local Families Instead of Spending to Promote Their Easter Services

https://relevantmagazine.com/god/this-c ... -services/

Quote:
Usually, this time of year, Wichita’s Pathway Church spends money on TV ads and direct mail to promote their Easter Sunday service. But, as lead pastor Todd Carter recently explained to his congregation, “We decided to do something different this year.”

He explained that instead of spending on Easter promotions, the church used that money (as well as money allocated to help families in need) to pay off medical debt of families in the state. Each of the 1,600 families whose debt was paid off received a note that said, “We’re Pathway Church, we may never meet you. But as an act of kindness in the name of Jesus Christ your debt has been forgiven.”

The church paid the debt through a non-profit called RIP Medical, which has cleared medical debts for more than 200,000 Americans in recent years. As Carter explained to his congregation, “What RIP does is that they go out there and they buy that medical debt, a penny to the dollar.”

The church ended up spending about $22,000 to clear $2.2 million in debt.

Carter told the church, “I want you to imagine for a moment what those 1,600 people felt like last week when they got that letter in the mail. What was going on in those houses when they got that letter in the mail and all of a sudden they realize that their debt, this debt that has been hanging over their head has been forgiven… that’s exactly what God in the person of Jesus Christ wants you to feel each and every day – that your debt has been forgiven.”

Got to say, $22,000 is probably in the pew cushions of a mega-church. Cool act nonetheless.

PostPosted: May 6 19, 2:01 pm 
Hall Of Famer

So you spend $22K to clear $2.2 million in debt....how does this work? Does the nonprofit chip in something? If the debt is retired by paying pennies on the dollar, why can't hospitals (or whoever is owed the money) just charge less up front? Getting off topic I guess. It's cool but to me just another sign of how utterly broken our health care system is.

PostPosted: May 6 19, 2:21 pm 
Hall Of Famer

pioneer98 wrote:
So you spend $22K to clear $2.2 million in debt....how does this work? Does the nonprofit chip in something? If the debt is retired by paying pennies on the dollar, why can't hospitals (or whoever is owed the money) just charge less up front? Getting off topic I guess. It's cool but to me just another sign of how utterly broken our health care system is.

I would guess this is debt that the hospital already wrote off and sold to debt collectors. Which means it probably already impacted the debtors credit rating.

That's the only way I can think of where paying pennies on the dollar would be acceptable to the debt holder. If the holder bought the debt for a penny, the return of pennies is ok.

PostPosted: May 6 19, 2:41 pm 
Consider him admonished

pioneer98 wrote:

Had the same question.

My other question is why is the church spending thousands on advertising in the first place, but I’m trying to be less cynical in 2019.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 88  Next