GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 20 18, 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: April 4 18, 2:39 pm 
The Last Word

Fat Strat wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
I had a long conversation about politics with someone who is a born again Evangelical. They claimed that there are freeloaders everywhere around them that are gaming the system, and are able to live comfortably without working. I told them I didn't know people like that*, but I said even if there are some out there, their lives are probably unfulfilling (if not miserable) in other ways. And the Bible tells us not to be jealous of our neighbor, anyway. They got royally pissed and thought I was being a smart ass. I guess I should have worded it differently.

* I do know people getting chapter 8 or other subsidized housing and things like that but they all have jobs. They seem to be getting by but not getting ahead.

Next time just remind him/her that they are also a freeloader, receiving the full benefits of God's grace in Jesus Christ, having done nothing in their own power to earn it, deserve it, or keep it, and that they'll live comfortably without working to earn that grace for eternity.

Oh and then say that our social support systems are really a means through which God reveals his own grace-filled and loving nature to his chosen people here in the great Christian nation of America. What better way to make America great again than to reveal God's mercy through our own governmental policies?

Fat with the game winner.........

PostPosted: April 5 18, 7:48 am 
Hall Of Famer

PostPosted: April 5 18, 7:51 am 
Hall Of Famer

what the hell am i looking at?

PostPosted: April 5 18, 8:08 am 
bronoun enthusiast

The worst new meme format in years.

PostPosted: April 5 18, 8:14 am 
Hall Of Famer

thrill wrote:
The worst new meme format in years.

Bah. I love it.

EDIT - I mean, there's one on Brutalist architecture. What's not to like here?

Spoiler: show

Last edited by ghostrunner on April 5 18, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 5 18, 8:16 am 
Everday Unicorn

Fat Strat wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
I had a long conversation about politics with someone who is a born again Evangelical. They claimed that there are freeloaders everywhere around them that are gaming the system, and are able to live comfortably without working. I told them I didn't know people like that*, but I said even if there are some out there, their lives are probably unfulfilling (if not miserable) in other ways. And the Bible tells us not to be jealous of our neighbor, anyway. They got royally pissed and thought I was being a smart ass. I guess I should have worded it differently.

* I do know people getting chapter 8 or other subsidized housing and things like that but they all have jobs. They seem to be getting by but not getting ahead.

Next time just remind him/her that they are also a freeloader, receiving the full benefits of God's grace in Jesus Christ, having done nothing in their own power to earn it, deserve it, or keep it, and that they'll live comfortably without working to earn that grace for eternity.

Oh and then say that our social support systems are really a means through which God reveals his own grace-filled and loving nature to his chosen people here in the great Christian nation of America. What better way to make America great again than to reveal God's mercy through our own governmental policies?

Strat, I just want to say: thank you. This is a lot to think about, and it gives me some measure of hope for our society. Although I must take some exception to "great Christian nation of America," as there are a lot of non-Christians here doing our best to live up to these ideals as well.

PostPosted: April 5 18, 10:46 am 
tl;dr

heyzeus wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

Strat, I just want to say: thank you. This is a lot to think about, and it gives me some measure of hope for our society. Although I must take some exception to "great Christian nation of America," as there are a lot of non-Christians here doing our best to live up to these ideals as well.

That part is just to pander to those who hate social support systems and also believe that the USA is a Christian nation despite the number of times the founding fathers made it clear that it was not founded as a Christian nation... or the Treaty of Tripoli in something like 1792 that flat out said the US was not founded as a Christian nation. Clearly facts mean nothing to a certain set of people so the only way to maybe get them to listen long enough to blow their minds is to pander to them as disgusting as it can be.

PostPosted: April 5 18, 7:59 pm 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

heyzeus wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

Yeah, as Lombard implied, I was just throwing those catch phrases back in their face to be funny.

PostPosted: April 22 18, 9:07 pm 
Hall Of Famer

US Religion Is Worth $1.2T/Year, More Than America's 10 Biggest Tech Companies, Combined
Quote:
The largely tax-free religion industry is one of the biggest in America, worth $1.2 trillion/year, a number that includes religious "healthcare facilities, schools, daycare and charities; media; businesses with faith backgrounds; the kosher and halal food markets; social and philanthropic programmes; and staff and overheads for congregations."

The figure comes from The Socio-economic Contribution of Religion to American Society: An Empirical Analysis, co-authored by Georgetown's Brian J Grim and Newseum's Melissa E Grim, and published in the Interdisciplinary Journal of Research on Religion. The authors describe the estimate as "conservative" and note that while religion as a whole is declining in the US, spending on religious "social programs" has tripled since 2001, to $9T.

I don't think this aspect of religion in America can be ignored. The megachurch guys with mansions. Scientology with basically tax free resorts (I know this is the Christian thread, so I digress). But I think there is a link here between some Christian extremism and big money. There is a reason Ted Cruz chose a certain Evangelical church as his venue when he visited my town, for example. All these things are linked together.

PostPosted: April 23 18, 8:47 am 
Hall Of Famer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 58  Next