GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 25 19, 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: June 3 19, 4:38 pm 
Offline
Consider him admonished
User avatar

Joined: March 25 15, 9:59 am
Posts: 8262
Location: Charleston, SC via Arkansas
That is something else. Holy moly.

My grandfather preached.

For free.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 3 19, 4:52 pm 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 24159
Location: St. Louis
Quote:
Kenneth Copeland, the televangelist under scrutiny for his use of three private jets and who called flying commercial getting in 'a long tube with demons,' signed his named to a list of conservative evangelical leaders who are calling for a national day of prayer for Donald Trump. 


I wonder how many non-true Christians it takes raise the money for him to afford a private jet(s)?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 3 19, 6:14 pm 
Offline
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36751
Location: Huis Clos
Very Christ-like, Padre. What an [expletive].




Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 3 19, 9:44 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 10:56 pm
Posts: 5698
Location: Tacoma, WA
Freed Roger wrote:
Quote:
Kenneth Copeland, the televangelist under scrutiny for his use of three private jets and who called flying commercial getting in 'a long tube with demons,' signed his named to a list of conservative evangelical leaders who are calling for a national day of prayer for Donald Trump. 


I wonder how many non-true Christians it takes raise the money for him to afford a private jet(s)?


The people who donate to prosperity preachers are often desperate people who need a miracle and are sitting ducks to these frauds.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 4 19, 6:56 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
Posts: 19613
Location: Low A Minors
Mary1966 wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
Quote:
Kenneth Copeland, the televangelist under scrutiny for his use of three private jets and who called flying commercial getting in 'a long tube with demons,' signed his named to a list of conservative evangelical leaders who are calling for a national day of prayer for Donald Trump. 


I wonder how many non-true Christians it takes raise the money for him to afford a private jet(s)?


The people who donate to prosperity preachers are often desperate people who need a miracle and are sitting ducks to these frauds.


So the demographic that donates to prosperity preachers is the same one targeted by scratch lottery ticket ads, basically.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 4 19, 7:18 am 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 7240
Location: Chicago, IL
Mary1966 wrote:
The people who donate to prosperity preachers are often desperate people who need a miracle and are sitting ducks to these frauds.


Alternative view is the people who donate the prosperity preachers are often desperate people tricked by prosperity preachers into believing there's such a thing as miracles. There's a combination required there of ignorance and predatory behavior. Is it like scratchy lotto tix? I dunno. But I know the lotto isn't a miracle, it's luck. These "men of god" are more like conmen on the street running three-card monty. Three-card monty is illegal, and cults like this that swindle people by promising they can hit it big with Jesus should also be illegal.

This is one of those issues, like making college more affordable and making sure people have healthcare, that should be a universally agreed-upon no-brainer of an issue--people using the sham of religion to fleece dumb poor people so they can live in mansions and fly around in private jets should be made to stop--but because it's dealing with religion we just never can or will go there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 4 19, 7:51 am 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 24159
Location: St. Louis
lukethedrifter wrote:
Very Christ-like, Padre. What an [expletive].


I keep thinking these are outliers and non-true Christians-but then we have a VP that shares their views. And many regular Christians are fine with the anti-LGBT and anti-abortion rights agenda etc that these extremist minorities are forcing


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 4 19, 8:23 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
Posts: 19613
Location: Low A Minors
33anda3rd wrote:
Mary1966 wrote:
The people who donate to prosperity preachers are often desperate people who need a miracle and are sitting ducks to these frauds.


Alternative view is the people who donate the prosperity preachers are often desperate people tricked by prosperity preachers into believing there's such a thing as miracles. There's a combination required there of ignorance and predatory behavior. Is it like scratchy lotto tix? I dunno. But I know the lotto isn't a miracle, it's luck. These "men of god" are more like conmen on the street running three-card monty. Three-card monty is illegal, and cults like this that swindle people by promising they can hit it big with Jesus should also be illegal.

This is one of those issues, like making college more affordable and making sure people have healthcare, that should be a universally agreed-upon no-brainer of an issue--people using the sham of religion to fleece dumb poor people so they can live in mansions and fly around in private jets should be made to stop--but because it's dealing with religion we just never can or will go there.



I don't think all these poor people are dumb. I just think they are so desperate they will try anything. Things like scratch lottery tickets and the prosperity Bible are the only things our society is offering them. So they give it a shot. They don't have anything else.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 4 19, 8:46 am 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 7240
Location: Chicago, IL
pioneer98 wrote:
I don't think all these poor people are dumb. I just think they are so desperate they will try anything. Things like scratch lottery tickets and the prosperity Bible are the only things our society is offering them. So they give it a shot. They don't have anything else.


Young man arrives in NYC at Grand Central Station with a backpack, wide eyes, and a sweatshirt that says "University Of BFE". He's approached by a dishonest conman who says "hey, boss man? Boss man? You want a new iPad? I got one. $100 cash? Follow me!" The dishonest conman leads the young man to an alley, pulls a knife, robs the young man of all his cash. The young man is now in a new city, penniless.

There are several elements at play here.
1. The thief is dishonest
2. The thief picks his prey--he doesn't go for the commuter in a hurry
3. The young man wants something easier than it normally comes to people and is therefore willing prey
4. The young man is not savvy and experienced enough--some might say he's a little ignorant to his surroundings and the situation--to see the play from a mile away
5. The young man does not think critically about where the $100 iPhone came from, just that he's going to be super lucky in a few minutes

The young man is robbed because of the confluence of being ignorant to what's happening, the greed/dishonesty of the conman, and a little bit of greed/dishonesty in the young man who is willing to accept that he can get a $1000 iPhone for $100 cash even though it's probably hot.

That's no different from these "churches", their leadership, and the people who actively participate by turning over their money.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: June 4 19, 11:03 am 
Offline
tl;dr

Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm
Posts: 4506
33anda3rd wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
I don't think all these poor people are dumb. I just think they are so desperate they will try anything. Things like scratch lottery tickets and the prosperity Bible are the only things our society is offering them. So they give it a shot. They don't have anything else.


Young man arrives in NYC at Grand Central Station with a backpack, wide eyes, and a sweatshirt that says "University Of BFE". He's approached by a dishonest conman who says "hey, boss man? Boss man? You want a new iPad? I got one. $100 cash? Follow me!" The dishonest conman leads the young man to an alley, pulls a knife, robs the young man of all his cash. The young man is now in a new city, penniless.

There are several elements at play here.
1. The thief is dishonest
2. The thief picks his prey--he doesn't go for the commuter in a hurry
3. The young man wants something easier than it normally comes to people and is therefore willing prey
4. The young man is not savvy and experienced enough--some might say he's a little ignorant to his surroundings and the situation--to see the play from a mile away
5. The young man does not think critically about where the $100 iPhone came from, just that he's going to be super lucky in a few minutes

The young man is robbed because of the confluence of being ignorant to what's happening, the greed/dishonesty of the conman, and a little bit of greed/dishonesty in the young man who is willing to accept that he can get a $1000 iPhone for $100 cash even though it's probably hot.

That's no different from these "churches", their leadership, and the people who actively participate by turning over their money.


Wait a minute, was the thief enticing him with an iPhone or an iPad because that makes a huge difference.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group