GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 21 19, 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: July 25 19, 1:05 pm 
Consider him admonished

Felt the need to update GRB after we had the discussion a few months ago about our small group volunteering with groups often demonized as “enemies” of Christians. Specifically we discussed Planned Parenthood.

I want to reiterate that I initially started this discussion to generate ideas, not as a pat on the back.

Last night myself and five other men had the honor of eating and worshipping with a room full of formerly incarcerated registered sex offenders. There’s a ministry in the rougher part of our community that houses RSOs because they can’t live anywhere else due proximity to schools, daycares etc etc.

These guys are in transitional housing for 12-18 months and learn job skills. Their recidivism rates are minuscule compared to the general population of RSOs. 1.3% for those that complete the program vs >50% for non participants.

Anyway we are already getting these guys some free healthcare, as you can imagine they’re uninsured and underemployed. The ministry is trying to expand from 41 to 75 beds. I think our group will be able to help with some of their construction and financial obstacles.

PostPosted: July 28 19, 2:13 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
Really interesting stuff, Tim.

PostPosted: July 29 19, 7:50 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Christian Writer Renounces His Faith and Apologizes to LGBTQ Community

Quote:
Joshua Harris, former pastor and the author of “I Kissed Dating Goodbye” is renouncing his faith. “By all the measurements that I have for defining a Christian, I am not a Christian,” Harris announced in a post on Instagram.

Quote:
Harris also went on to apologize for his attitudes toward the LGBTQ+ community in the past: “I regret standing against marriage equality, for not affirming you and your place in the church, and for any ways that my writing and speaking contributed to a culture of exclusion and bigotry.”

Harris, who was a lead pastor of Covenant Life Church in Maryland, was outspoken for his religion-based writing on love and sexuality. Following his 1997 best-seller, “I Kissed Dating Goodbye,” he went on to publish several other books that discussed both faith and his own relationship.

He announced his separation from his wife earlier this month, citing changes in both of their lives and assuring their three kids will continue to be well cared for.

PostPosted: July 29 19, 10:43 pm 
Everyday Player

Tim wrote:
Felt the need to update GRB after we had the discussion a few months ago about our small group volunteering with groups often demonized as “enemies” of Christians. Specifically we discussed Planned Parenthood.

I want to reiterate that I initially started this discussion to generate ideas, not as a pat on the back.

Last night myself and five other men had the honor of eating and worshipping with a room full of formerly incarcerated registered sex offenders. There’s a ministry in the rougher part of our community that houses RSOs because they can’t live anywhere else due proximity to schools, daycares etc etc.

These guys are in transitional housing for 12-18 months and learn job skills. Their recidivism rates are minuscule compared to the general population of RSOs. 1.3% for those that complete the program vs >50% for non participants.

Anyway we are already getting these guys some free healthcare, as you can imagine they’re uninsured and underemployed. The ministry is trying to expand from 41 to 75 beds. I think our group will be able to help with some of their construction and financial obstacles.

God Bless You Tim. As you eluded, there are various social limitations placed on these types of individuals. My church (and others) have a "celebrate recovery program" not just for RSOs, but also for recovering alcoholics and substance abusers. In a nutshell, it is a program that dedicates several nights a month where people can come together to worship and provide support for those who are in recovery. I don't have any hard data on recidivism, but I can't help but think that it is making a difference in their lives.

PostPosted: July 29 19, 11:06 pm 
Hall Of Famer

We have a shelter here that is like a halfway house and it also has an extremely high success rate conpared to others. But there is no real secret to their success. They are extremely picky about who they let in. They may get 80 applicants for 10 spots. They pick the 10 most likely to succeed. Not sure what happens to the other 70 guys who actually require more help and attention from various services. Not sure that is the case with your charity Tim but some food for thought.

PostPosted: August 8 19, 7:14 pm 
Hall Of Famer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion ... edirect=on
Quote:
MILWAUKEE — More than 500 years ago, a monk named Martin Luther nailed 95 theses outlining his grievances with the Roman Catholic Church to the door of a church in Wittenberg, Germany.

On Wednesday afternoon, members of the mainline Protestant denomination bearing Luther’s name taped 9.5 theses — expressing their concern for immigrants and refugees — to the door of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement building in Milwaukee.

The action was part of a prayer vigil for migrant children and their families during the ELCA Churchwide Assembly this week at Milwaukee’s Wisconsin Center.

It took place on the same day the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America declared itself a “sanctuary church body,” signaling its support for immigrants.

[expletive] A.

PostPosted: August 8 19, 8:51 pm 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Good for the Lutherans. Many denominations, even traditionally conservative/evangelical ones, have issued statements or made resolutions similar to this. Taking specific action has proven extremely difficult because there is very limited access to these detainment centers. Is been very frustrating for our denominational leadership, though we do have churches and missionaries in the area who are trying some interesting things.

PostPosted: August 9 19, 5:03 am 

PostPosted: August 9 19, 5:15 am 

I posted this here because Erick is working on his PhD in theology.

PostPosted: August 14 19, 9:21 am 
bronoun enthusiast

This is a very good column about evangelicals and trump.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... nd-by-him/

I found this snippet pretty telling:
Quote:
“I remember very well back in 2004,” Jeffress recounted, “being on a conference call with religious leaders and how disappointed they were with George W. Bush, and how they felt like he had just really misled us. ... I don’t want to disparage him at all,” Jeffress added, “but what came out of that eight years? A $7 trillion war in the Middle East.”

The mega church pastor refers to Iraq & Afghanistan in financial terms, not lives lost.

It's insightful and worth a read if you're at all interested in the subject.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 871 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 88  Next