GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently January 19 19, 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: January 8 19, 3:31 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

From this in the AOC thread.

The Book: The Price Of Civilization, Jeffrey D Sachs.

Part 1: Chapters 1-5, Pages 1-84. Discussion starts 1/23/19. This gives everyone a week to get the book and a week to read 84 pages and they're small pages with generous spacing.

Part 2: Chapters 6-8, Pages 85-160. Discussion starts 1/30/19.

Part 3: Chapters 9-11, Pages 161-236. Discussion starts 2/6/19.

Part 4: Chapters 12-13, Pages 237-End. Discussion starts 2/13/19.

Blurb from Amazon, where the paperback is $11 new, $8 on Kindle, and can be had for a buck-fifty in the used marketplace:

Quote:
In this forceful and impassioned book, Jeffrey D. Sachs offers a searing and incisive diagnosis of our country’s economic ills, and an urgent call for Americans to restore the core virtues of fairness, honesty, and foresight as the foundations of national prosperity. Sachs finds that both political parties—and many leading economists—have missed the big picture, profoundly underestimating globalization’s long-term effects and offering shortsighted solutions. He describes a political system that is beholden to big donors and influential lobbyists and a consumption-driven culture that suffers shortfalls of social trust and compassion. He bids readers to reclaim the virtues of good citizenship and mindfulness toward the economy and each one another. Most important, he urges each of us to accept the price of civilization, so that together we restore America to its great promise. The Price of Civilization is a masterly road map for prosperity, founded on America’s deepest values and on a rigorous understanding of the twenty-first-century world economy.

PostPosted: January 8 19, 3:43 pm 
Everday Unicorn

Guh, I just started The View From Flyover Country by St. Louisan and autocratic regime expert Sarah Kendzior, otherwise I'd jump on this one.

PostPosted: January 8 19, 4:47 pm 
Don't tone police me bro!

fun idea, i'm in

PostPosted: January 8 19, 7:02 pm 
Hall Of Famer

:thumb:

Book on the way.

PostPosted: January 8 19, 9:31 pm 
Hall Of Famer

heyzeus wrote:
Guh, I just started The View From Flyover Country by St. Louisan and autocratic regime expert Sarah Kendzior, otherwise I'd jump on this one.

How does this read? She has a point, of course, but I think she has a tendency to repeat that point ad infinitum, and I lose interest.

PostPosted: January 8 19, 10:03 pm 
99% conan clips

nice try jeffrey sachs

PostPosted: January 8 19, 10:04 pm 
Hall Of Famer

greenback44 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

How does this read? She has a point, of course, but I think she has a tendency to repeat that point ad infinitum, and I lose interest.

This is why Gaslit Nation lost me at some point.

PostPosted: January 8 19, 10:29 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

haltz wrote:
greenback44 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

Hi this is a thread for discussion of The Price Of Civilization nothing personal just be on topic K thx bye til the day we start this.

PostPosted: January 9 19, 12:00 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

33anda3rd wrote:
haltz wrote:
greenback44 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

Hi this is a thread for discussion of The Price Of Civilization nothing personal just be on topic K thx bye til the day we start this.

Suck it, Trebek. Be happy we’re talking about books that fit the genre. My wife tells me book clubs are usually just an excuse to drink wine with the girls and most of them don’t read the book. Thinking about starting a similar bowling night with the guys. I don’t like bowling.

I’m not sold on Sarah Kendzior.

Just got through listening to Ezra Klein’s most recent podcast with Jill Lepore. Her new book sounds interesting and she made a couple of book recs.

PostPosted: January 9 19, 1:26 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Am not anti-education etc, but I believe my reading of US based politico books are done-At least until we get out of the fascist GOP rule. Granted, workable good ideas are needed to get us out of this - and to that I say, go millenials!

The macro political thoughts in the current situation have never been simpler. [expletive] republicans.