GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently July 16 18, 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: February 14 18, 1:20 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I don't seriously advocate being a fan of any politician, especially at this high level, but man is she (Gillibrand) saying and doing all the right things to win me over.

Just announced today, along with Cory Booker who I don't care for but have to give some credit to:

EDIT - changed thread title

Last edited by ghostrunner on March 3 18, 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: February 14 18, 1:22 pm 
Hall Of Famer

And because this question will likely come up:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/stan

PostPosted: February 14 18, 1:37 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

For whatever this might be worth, she's not polling strong for a presidential run among new yorkers.
https://www.politico.com/states/new-yor ... ent-252275

PostPosted: February 14 18, 1:45 pm 
Hall Of Famer

thrill wrote:
For whatever this might be worth, she's not polling strong for a presidential run among new yorkers.
https://www.politico.com/states/new-yor ... ent-252275

Cuomo and DiBlasio I get. Surprising about Gillibrand. Would be curious to know the reasons.

NY is a weird state. They have a caucus of 8 Democrats in the State Senate who partner with the Republicans, effectively letting them control the state. Cuomo has let the NYC subway go to hell, and he and DiBlasio seem to dislike each other and blame each other over it even though Cuomo is in charge of the MTA.

PostPosted: February 14 18, 2:02 pm 
has a link from 538 to share

At this point I'd stan for a mop head on a balloon.

PostPosted: February 15 18, 8:13 am 
Veteran Player

She railroaded Al Franken. [expletive] her.

PostPosted: March 1 18, 6:52 pm 
Perennial All-Star

She's smart and good at politics. I don't know that she believes in anything beyond following the winds of the moment.

PostPosted: March 2 18, 10:08 am 
Hall Of Famer

jagtrader wrote:
She's smart and good at politics. I don't know that she believes in anything beyond following the winds of the moment.

All politicians are a mixed bag, but being good at politics is important, as is her ability to see where things are going. I'm not totally convinced she's good at politics in the way she needs to be - we'll see once campaigns start. But as of now she's pro Medicare for all, pro legalizing marijuana, for prison and criminal justice reform, pro gun-control, she's led on sexual harassment issues for years, and she's voted against Trump's appointments more than any other Senator.

I like Bernie, but I think he's too heavy with baggage at this point and also too old.

The Franken thing might be an issue for her, but it really shouldn't be and I think the crowd that's upset about that is probably small.

PostPosted: March 2 18, 10:27 am 
Don't tone police me bro!

Kristin Gillibrand wont mobilize an army of phone bankers, canvassers, young people, and actual voters like Sanders would. No one else will have as much cross-over appeal to republicans and independents. I like Gillibrand and think she'd do well. Harris too. I'd support them, but would probably focus more of my efforts down ballot. But I think giving up on Sanders prematurely--obviously the conversation hinges on if he will run-- is a huge mistake. I get the impulse. But I'm not quite sure I understand the 'baggage' you mean. Sanders polls very favorably across all demographic groups.

PostPosted: March 2 18, 11:04 am 
Hall Of Famer

Schlich wrote:
Kristin Gillibrand wont mobilize an army of phone bankers, canvassers, young people, and actual voters like Sanders would. No one else will have as much cross-over appeal to republicans and independents. I like Gillibrand and think she'd do well. Harris too. I'd support them, but would probably focus more of my efforts down ballot. But I think giving up on Sanders prematurely--obviously the conversation hinges on if he will run-- is a huge mistake. I get the impulse. But I'm not quite sure I understand the 'baggage' you mean. Sanders polls very favorably across all demographic groups.

I'm not confident in this, but I suspect Bernie's popularity has to do with being the runner up and being Not Hillary. I don't think he'd be popular among independents and Republicans had he been running as the actual nominee for 4-5 months. I worry there's a centrist contingent that may not turn out strongly if he's the nominee. I admit that could be completely unfounded, and it's hard to believe any Democrat passes up a chance to vote against Trump in 2020.

I see Gillibrand as a bridge between Sanders and Clinton supporters. She comes off as a more traditional politician, but all her current positions sit well left of Hillary and Obama. There's a couple caveats there. One, she may dump those lefty positions if she's elected. Two, enthusiasm may be so high it doesn't matter who's the nominee.

Apart from that, I like her answers better than I do Sanders' on some issues. She comes off better versed on a variety of topics and better able to go off script. His tendency to stick to a few talking points irks me a bit. At the same time, that's good messaging and probably suits him better as a Trump alternative.

I'd like to see him elaborate more on foreign policy and military questions. I'm ready for a truly less interventionist President, I'd just like to hear some details.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next