GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 23 19, 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: March 3 18, 5:15 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Schlich wrote:
Farewell Friends wrote:
I don't have any strong feelings towards a candidate except for Biden, who would be a pretty dismal choice. Gillibrand has definitely tailored her positions to whatever is hot at the moment and I don't blame people for not being enthused about her if they don't believe she genuinely shares their passion on a particular issue. But it's important for left of center voters not to get caught up in a game of purity politics because we're quickly spiraling into a fascist [expletive] hole and Democrats must use whatever power they may have to rebuild the democratic norms Republicans and Trump have broken. Lincoln was never a full-throated abolitionist, FDR was never aggressive enough about civil rights, LBJ's maiden Senate speech echoed the future Southern Manifesto and Clinton and Obama led from behind on several issues. Whatever Blue Dog Gillibrand did in a heavily Republican district isn't as worse as what's happening now.

Saying stuff like this right now, this early, is straight up concern trolling and completely irrelevant.

I wonder if you’re using that phrase correctly.

PostPosted: March 3 18, 5:36 pm 
Don't tone police me bro!

lukethedrifter wrote:
Schlich wrote:
Farewell Friends wrote:
I don't have any strong feelings towards a candidate except for Biden, who would be a pretty dismal choice. Gillibrand has definitely tailored her positions to whatever is hot at the moment and I don't blame people for not being enthused about her if they don't believe she genuinely shares their passion on a particular issue. But it's important for left of center voters not to get caught up in a game of purity politics because we're quickly spiraling into a fascist [expletive] hole and Democrats must use whatever power they may have to rebuild the democratic norms Republicans and Trump have broken. Lincoln was never a full-throated abolitionist, FDR was never aggressive enough about civil rights, LBJ's maiden Senate speech echoed the future Southern Manifesto and Clinton and Obama led from behind on several issues. Whatever Blue Dog Gillibrand did in a heavily Republican district isn't as worse as what's happening now.

Saying stuff like this right now, this early, is straight up concern trolling and completely irrelevant.

I wonder if you’re using that phrase correctly.

I kinda wondered myself, but i think it gets the gist across.

PostPosted: March 3 18, 5:36 pm 
Don't tone police me bro!

FWIW I'd campaign like hell for Kander.

PostPosted: March 4 18, 7:32 am 
Hall Of Famer

Here is what Democratic populism looks like.

Richard Ojeda.

Putting this here because this is the kind of out-of-nowhere type that could storm into and win a nomination like Trump.

A neophyte WV state legislator and ex-paratrooper taking on Big Coal, standing with teachers, and getting a lot of attention in his challenge of the GOP congressman in a district that voted 80 percent for Trump.

Quote:
When I spotted his skin-shorn flattop sticking out of the crowd, Ojeda was surrounded by a rapt half-moon of teachers. His eyes were wide, and he was jabbing the air with a finger. “We are on the next Saudi Arabia!” he was hollering. “They’ve said that—the energy people said that! So, if we’re on the next Saudi Arabia, obviously they want it to be just like Saudi Arabia, where you have about 10 people driving around in Lamborghinis and everybody else eatin’ sand sandwiches! That’s what they want. Guess what? No!” He told them the people who give him money are regular folks. Labor unions. That’s it. “I don’t give a [expletive] about Big Energy!” he yelled. They erupted again in applause.

Quote:
The state legislative session ends March 10. Already for the better part of a year, Ojeda has been hosting regular and energetic Facebook Live sessions and out and about campaigning—clad in his typical garb of combat boots, Ripstop tactical pants and Grunt Style shirts. His bid to come to Washington is about to shift to full-fledged. His strategy? “Boots on the ground, my man,” he said. “Boots on the ground.”

“I think we have a very, very good shot of winning,” David Graham, the truck driver who’s the campaign manager, told me. He cited the recent internal polling that has Ojeda beating potential Republican opponent Conrad Lucas with Republican voters 24.3 percent to 23 percent (with 52.8 percent uncertain) and beating other potential Republican opponent Rupie Phillips with Republican voters 27.1 percent to 16.5 percent (with 56.4 percent uncertain). The overall numbers including all voters aren’t even close. Ojeda’s top foe in the primary, Huntington mayor Steve Williams, much more a Manchin-style Democrat and better-funded, dropped out of the race in January, saying it wasn’t right to run for higher office given the severity of the drug problem in his city. Supporters of Ojeda wonder if the energy around their candidate had something to do with it, too. When I asked Manchin about Ojeda, his answer was brief. “Rich is a populist,” Manchin told me. “He’s a people’s person”—as restrained an assessment of Ojeda as I’d heard.

“If the election was tomorrow, he’d win in a landslide,” said Belcher, the miner turned videographer. “He’s got the working class with him. If you’ve got the working class in West Virginia, you’re set.”

PostPosted: March 5 18, 3:59 am 
Perennial All-Star

I find it interesting that Martin O'Malley's name is rarely brought up. He seemed like a candidate that never got a fair look because he was too overshadowed by the Hillary/Bernie circus.

PostPosted: March 5 18, 7:50 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

I say we just let Amazon purchase the US government and let Jeff Bezos run it.

PostPosted: March 5 18, 8:08 am 
Hall Of Famer

Popeye_Card wrote:
I say we just let Amazon purchase the US government and let Jeff Bezos run it.

Hold on I'm thinking about it.

PostPosted: March 5 18, 9:15 am 
Everday Unicorn

It's probably time to start our quadrennial 400 page long 2020 Election Thread

PostPosted: March 5 18, 10:57 am 
All Hail the New GDT Master

Did I sleep through the 2018 midterms?

PostPosted: March 20 18, 2:50 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand told The Nation she supports a government-backed jobs guarantee. “Guaranteed jobs programs, creating floors for wages and benefits, and expanding the right to collectively bargain are exactly the type of roles that government must take to shift power back to workers and our communities,” she said. “Corporate interests have controlled the agenda in Washington for decades so we can’t tinker at the margins and expect to rebuild the middle class and stamp out inequality. We need to get back to an economy that rewards workers, not just shareholder value and CEO pay.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next