GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 20 18, 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: February 22 18, 3:26 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Posts: 15337
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
Twitter purged bot accounts after Mueller's investigation showed their widespread use in fomenting chaos online. Go to the twitterverse to see the reaction from conservatives. Instead of being thankful for getting rid of accounts whose only purpose was to manipulate them, they are outraged at the lose of these angst-factories.

They would rather be manipulated and lied to by a foreign country's intelligence apperatus than count on themselves and other individuals like them to spread their message.

What a country.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 22 18, 8:45 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
Posts: 17787
Location: Low A Minors
It's also pathetic and extremely telling that Twitter did not purge these until now. I thought Twitter was ALWAYS supposed to be looking for bot accounts to purge. They are an enormous problem on their platform, and not just on this issue.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 22 18, 9:16 am 
Offline
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
User avatar

Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Posts: 10878
Location: Illinois
We can't expect these social media companies to save us from ourselves. Bots mean higher user numbers even if they are fake, which means more ad dollars. It's great that they have decided to start purging but unless it's a massive on going effort it won't matter.


And yes conservatives are really that stupid. Donald Trump is our president.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 22 18, 10:18 am 
Offline
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
User avatar

Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Posts: 27786
Location: at the gettin' place
How dare twitter silence these stock photos of attractive women? They are veterans that love guns and god and country!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 22 18, 11:01 am 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 22173
Location: St. Louis
GOP clown senator Lankford (Okla) was quick to emphasize RUSSIAN BOTS AND TROLL FARMS WORK BOTH SIDES!

That should be obvious though. Russia will work the angle that stirs up most discord. And 99% of that discord is most effective for Russia by riling up dumb scared white people about losing their guns!, or about Antifa!, welfare cheats! or hillary doing something to fetuses or making sex slaves of their children and etc etc etc ad naseum


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 22 18, 2:40 pm 
Offline
Everday Unicorn
User avatar

Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Posts: 33298
Location: Austin, TX
What percentage of Infowars' followers must be russian bots? It has to be 50%. What a great opportunity to promote the most insane, most wretched ideas our country can produce. It wouldn't surprise me if Russian surrogates are directly funding their whole operation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 22 18, 2:53 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 25 06, 6:43 pm
Posts: 11171
Location: Austin
heyzeus wrote:
What percentage of Infowars' followers must be russian bots? It has to be 50%. What a great opportunity to promote the most insane, most wretched ideas our country can produce. It wouldn't surprise me if Russian surrogates are directly funding their whole operation.

I feel like this Russia thing is functioning as a way to displace our anxieties about domestic politics onto foreign actors. Alex Jones is as American as apple pie. He's been around doing his thing for decades. Whatever shenanigans Russian trolls have got up to, they're a minor add-on to our domestically produced propaganda and its party apparatus.

We did this [expletive] to ourselves.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 23 18, 11:51 am 
Offline
Sucking on the Rally Nipple
User avatar

Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
Posts: 20700
Location: Chicago
Arthur Dent wrote:
heyzeus wrote:
What percentage of Infowars' followers must be russian bots? It has to be 50%. What a great opportunity to promote the most insane, most wretched ideas our country can produce. It wouldn't surprise me if Russian surrogates are directly funding their whole operation.

I feel like this Russia thing is functioning as a way to displace our anxieties about domestic politics onto foreign actors. Alex Jones is as American as apple pie. He's been around doing his thing for decades. Whatever shenanigans Russian trolls have got up to, they're a minor add-on to our domestically produced propaganda and its party apparatus.

We did this [expletive] to ourselves.


We did, but the Russians, in their Russian philosophical way, understand the post-modern nature of our world. They understand the power of mass media to shape reality, of fiction to create reality. The social media bots are a way to amplify their fictions and disseminate them faster and wider than ever before.

There is no such thing in nature as the United States of America. It is a human fiction, born of the imagination, and brought into reality by the collective effort of past humans. Present day humans must reproduce the ideological premises underpinning its existence every day, or the system breaks down. Undermining people's faith in the very premise of democracy is a dangerous thing. Technology can change the material reality of our lives very quickly. The internet is a wild west of information. The future it will produce can go a lot of different ways. The Russian are in cyberspace aggressively trying to shape the future into something that makes mafia despotism the new normal. We have to be mindful of that and build ideological systems in cyberspace to resist it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 23 18, 12:17 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 25 06, 6:43 pm
Posts: 11171
Location: Austin
G. Keenan wrote:
The Russian are in cyberspace aggressively trying to shape the future into something that makes mafia despotism the new normal. We have to be mindful of that and build ideological systems in cyberspace to resist it.

Right, but I guess my point is that our domestic Republican party is also doing that, and that this is way more important and consequential than the Russian aid.

Since you mention the imagined communities concept, I can image a world where displacing this thing onto foreigners functioned as some kind of face saving mechanism for the collective identity that allowed us all to move on. You could argue that this would be pathological and dangerous in its own way, but at least there would be a productive function. As it stands, it seems much more about being in denial and avoiding the reality of what's going on, what we face, and what must be done.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: February 23 18, 12:23 pm 
Offline
Sucking on the Rally Nipple
User avatar

Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
Posts: 20700
Location: Chicago
Arthur Dent wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
The Russian are in cyberspace aggressively trying to shape the future into something that makes mafia despotism the new normal. We have to be mindful of that and build ideological systems in cyberspace to resist it.

Right, but I guess my point is that our domestic Republican party is also doing that, and that this is way more important and consequential than the Russian aid.

Since you mention the imagined communities concept, I can image a world where displacing this thing onto foreigners functioned as some kind of face saving mechanism for the collective identity that allowed us all to move on. You could argue that this would be pathological and dangerous in its own way, but at least there would be a productive function. As it stands, it seems much more about being in denial and avoiding the reality of what's going on, what we face, and what must be done.


Yeah, big time. The GOP vision of this country is an every man for himself corporate plantation. The call is coming from inside the house!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group