GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 20 18, 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: February 22 18, 3:26 am 
Hall Of Famer

Twitter purged bot accounts after Mueller's investigation showed their widespread use in fomenting chaos online. Go to the twitterverse to see the reaction from conservatives. Instead of being thankful for getting rid of accounts whose only purpose was to manipulate them, they are outraged at the lose of these angst-factories.

They would rather be manipulated and lied to by a foreign country's intelligence apperatus than count on themselves and other individuals like them to spread their message.

What a country.

PostPosted: February 22 18, 8:45 am 
Hall Of Famer

It's also pathetic and extremely telling that Twitter did not purge these until now. I thought Twitter was ALWAYS supposed to be looking for bot accounts to purge. They are an enormous problem on their platform, and not just on this issue.

PostPosted: February 22 18, 9:16 am 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

We can't expect these social media companies to save us from ourselves. Bots mean higher user numbers even if they are fake, which means more ad dollars. It's great that they have decided to start purging but unless it's a massive on going effort it won't matter.

And yes conservatives are really that stupid. Donald Trump is our president.

PostPosted: February 22 18, 10:18 am 
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

How dare twitter silence these stock photos of attractive women? They are veterans that love guns and god and country!

PostPosted: February 22 18, 11:01 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

GOP clown senator Lankford (Okla) was quick to emphasize RUSSIAN BOTS AND TROLL FARMS WORK BOTH SIDES!

That should be obvious though. Russia will work the angle that stirs up most discord. And 99% of that discord is most effective for Russia by riling up dumb scared white people about losing their guns!, or about Antifa!, welfare cheats! or hillary doing something to fetuses or making sex slaves of their children and etc etc etc ad naseum

PostPosted: February 22 18, 2:40 pm 
Everday Unicorn

What percentage of Infowars' followers must be russian bots? It has to be 50%. What a great opportunity to promote the most insane, most wretched ideas our country can produce. It wouldn't surprise me if Russian surrogates are directly funding their whole operation.

PostPosted: February 22 18, 2:53 pm 
Hall Of Famer

heyzeus wrote:
What percentage of Infowars' followers must be russian bots? It has to be 50%. What a great opportunity to promote the most insane, most wretched ideas our country can produce. It wouldn't surprise me if Russian surrogates are directly funding their whole operation.

I feel like this Russia thing is functioning as a way to displace our anxieties about domestic politics onto foreign actors. Alex Jones is as American as apple pie. He's been around doing his thing for decades. Whatever shenanigans Russian trolls have got up to, they're a minor add-on to our domestically produced propaganda and its party apparatus.

We did this [expletive] to ourselves.

PostPosted: February 23 18, 11:51 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Arthur Dent wrote:
heyzeus wrote:

I feel like this Russia thing is functioning as a way to displace our anxieties about domestic politics onto foreign actors. Alex Jones is as American as apple pie. He's been around doing his thing for decades. Whatever shenanigans Russian trolls have got up to, they're a minor add-on to our domestically produced propaganda and its party apparatus.

We did this [expletive] to ourselves.

We did, but the Russians, in their Russian philosophical way, understand the post-modern nature of our world. They understand the power of mass media to shape reality, of fiction to create reality. The social media bots are a way to amplify their fictions and disseminate them faster and wider than ever before.

There is no such thing in nature as the United States of America. It is a human fiction, born of the imagination, and brought into reality by the collective effort of past humans. Present day humans must reproduce the ideological premises underpinning its existence every day, or the system breaks down. Undermining people's faith in the very premise of democracy is a dangerous thing. Technology can change the material reality of our lives very quickly. The internet is a wild west of information. The future it will produce can go a lot of different ways. The Russian are in cyberspace aggressively trying to shape the future into something that makes mafia despotism the new normal. We have to be mindful of that and build ideological systems in cyberspace to resist it.

PostPosted: February 23 18, 12:17 pm 
Hall Of Famer

G. Keenan wrote:
The Russian are in cyberspace aggressively trying to shape the future into something that makes mafia despotism the new normal. We have to be mindful of that and build ideological systems in cyberspace to resist it.

Right, but I guess my point is that our domestic Republican party is also doing that, and that this is way more important and consequential than the Russian aid.

Since you mention the imagined communities concept, I can image a world where displacing this thing onto foreigners functioned as some kind of face saving mechanism for the collective identity that allowed us all to move on. You could argue that this would be pathological and dangerous in its own way, but at least there would be a productive function. As it stands, it seems much more about being in denial and avoiding the reality of what's going on, what we face, and what must be done.

PostPosted: February 23 18, 12:23 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Arthur Dent wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
The Russian are in cyberspace aggressively trying to shape the future into something that makes mafia despotism the new normal. We have to be mindful of that and build ideological systems in cyberspace to resist it.

Right, but I guess my point is that our domestic Republican party is also doing that, and that this is way more important and consequential than the Russian aid.

Since you mention the imagined communities concept, I can image a world where displacing this thing onto foreigners functioned as some kind of face saving mechanism for the collective identity that allowed us all to move on. You could argue that this would be pathological and dangerous in its own way, but at least there would be a productive function. As it stands, it seems much more about being in denial and avoiding the reality of what's going on, what we face, and what must be done.

Yeah, big time. The GOP vision of this country is an every man for himself corporate plantation. The call is coming from inside the house!