GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 10 18, 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: March 7 18, 10:26 pm 
Hall Of Famer

On the flip side, you need to pay teachers well if you don't want them to ditch the profession or the state.

PostPosted: March 7 18, 10:57 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

cardinalkarp wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
The point is that states aren't printing money. Whatever money they give to state workers is being taken from someone else in the state.

Cool how about we take it from all the deadbeat corporations like Amazon that paid no taxes last year? How about we tax the living [expletive] out of the rich like we used to do back when this country was the most prosperous country the world had ever known?

How about instead of this Trump tax cut, which has gone 95% to the richest in this country, we take it all back from them and give it to our teachers and others? or you know use some of it to fix our broken roads, water systems, etc. This country has an immense amount of wealth, it's just locked up in the bank accounts of very few at the top. It's time to liberate it.

Shop local. That's about all I can tell you.

I do, doesn't change the fact that we need to push hard to change our tax system so that the freeloaders at the top pay their fair share.

They aren't freeloaders if the tax code lets them get away w/ it legally, all they are doing is taking advantage of the current tax laws. I would do the same damn thing, and I'm sure as a former business owner you would do the same as well.

Blame the government, not the businesses for taking advantage of terrible tax laws.

That tax laws that they write when they buy off politicians.

Again, blame our POS government.

Well I say kill em all and let god sort it out.

PostPosted: March 7 18, 11:05 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

US pre K thru 12 has been a predominantly female profession. which contributes to lower pay relative to education requirements. Also nuns worked in schools for free, housewives that weren't breadwinners etc - it kept the pay down.

Meanwhile, would people squawk about police making more these days? I'd be down for more police pay. Then again...States/municipalities can't print money.

Just something about the govt funding aspect that turns people loco about public workers -especially those women (and obviously liberal males)! With a lot of propaganda help from GOP financed by Devos and Kochs.

We don't get all pissed about the pay of execs of quasi- governmental and publicly funded business like hospitals, or their suppliers.

PostPosted: March 9 18, 12:14 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Oklahoma Teachers Follow West Virginia With April Strike Threat
Quote:
The Oklahoma Education Association will shut down schools statewide starting April 2 unless the legislature hikes school funding, setting up the second major battle this year between low-paid public school educators and state politicians.

“Teachers and support professionals of Oklahoma are angry and frustrated with the legislature for not doing its job," the union’s president Alicia Priest said Thursday in an emailed statement. “We have tried several different paths to improve education funding, but none have worked.” Priest said Monday that teachers there have been emboldened by the example of West Virginia, where a 9-day teacher strike has secured a 5 percent raise for all state workers.

The union may also have been acknowledging threats by rank-and-file members to engage in a wildcat strike -- also emulating West Virginia—if the leadership wasn’t sufficiently aggressive.

Teachers in Oklahoma are the nation’s lowest paid, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics data. “Oklahoma teachers are already walking out—across state lines for better pay,” State Senator John Sparks, the Democratic minority leader, said in a statement Tuesday. Republican majority floor leader Greg Treat said the same day that “teachers deserve a pay raise,” and accused Democrats of obstructing efforts to pass one. Democrats contend Treat’s party has driven the state close to insolvency with tax cuts.

Because April 2 is the date students are slated to take tests required to secure federal funds, planning a strike for that day gives teachers additional leverage, said teacher Alberto Morejon, who started a Facebook group last week, focused on discussing a potential walkout.

PostPosted: April 2 18, 1:06 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Oklahoma, Kentucky public schools close as thousands of teachers strike
Quote:
Frustrated educators were asking politicians to do the math on Monday as thousands of teachers swarmed the Oklahoma and Kentucky state capitals to demand an increase in their wages and in school funding.

Every public school in Kentucky and many schools in Oklahoma closed on Monday due to the large number of teachers protesting. The simultaneous protests across the country marked a breaking point for many teachers, who say they're tired of raising money and paying out of pocket for their underfunded classrooms.

In Oklahoma, one teacher held a sign that simply read, "5,655" — the amount of money she'd raised over the last two years for basic supplies for her students.

PostPosted: April 2 18, 2:48 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

Democrats: Leftist populism won't work in red states. They're too backwards. Not sophisticated enough. We'll campaign on hedging on abortion and acting like we hate Nancy Pelosi.

Teachers in red states: Hold my beer.

PostPosted: April 2 18, 3:00 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I have my doubts about a left turn in Oklahoma - my assumption is there’s a lot of religious conservatism there along with a dose of that Western/Plains anti-government sentiment.

But I find it hard to believe running to the left on health care, education, and labor in West Virginia couldn’t make a serious dent. That Ojeda guy will be an interesting test case.

Having said that, on single issues like this and health care I think there’s a lot of headway possible almost anywhere.

PostPosted: April 2 18, 3:19 pm 
Hall Of Famer

On the other hand

Can’t pull that off forever.

And I had forgotten about this.

Last edited by ghostrunner on April 2 18, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 2 18, 3:20 pm 
Hall Of Famer

ghostrunner wrote:
I have my doubts about a left turn in Oklahoma - my assumption is there’s a lot of religious conservatism there along with a dose of that Western/Plains anti-government sentiment.

But I find it hard to believe running to the left on health care, education, and labor in West Virginia couldn’t make a serious dent. That Ojeda guy will be an interesting test case.

Having said that, on single issues like this and health care I think there’s a lot of headway possible almost anywhere.

Agree. Leave the bathroom and abortion issues alone, stress health care, education, and labor and this happens.

PostPosted: April 2 18, 3:45 pm 
just can't quit you.

It is sickening how little teachers get paid.

I am pulling for the teachers to get the raises they deserve.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next