GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 22 19, 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: April 4 18, 7:48 am 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: April 4 18, 8:20 am 
bronoun enthusiast

This dude is a good follow on the OK strike:
https://twitter.com/DGoforth918?ref_src ... r%5Eauthor

He is an high powered media elite (editor of the frontier) and also a prolific poster of nonsense on NSBB.com.

PostPosted: April 4 18, 9:11 am 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

ghostrunner wrote:
I have my doubts about a left turn in Oklahoma - my assumption is there’s a lot of religious conservatism there along with a dose of that Western/Plains anti-government sentiment.

But I find it hard to believe running to the left on health care, education, and labor in West Virginia couldn’t make a serious dent. That Ojeda guy will be an interesting test case.

Having said that, on single issues like this and health care I think there’s a lot of headway possible almost anywhere.

Former resident of OK; I've been following some of this and checking around Facebook to see what my old conservative OK friends have to say about it. Seems to be fairly universal support for the teachers, even from the most die-hard Republicans. Obviously my Facebook friends is a small sample, but it's noteworthy.

When we lived in Tulsa, there was a lot of complaining about teacher pay and all the money the local schools were pouring into athletic facilities. Especially when this was built (in the mid 2000's):

That's a Tulsa high school basketball arena. Brand new. Seats around 6000. $22M cost, I think. There was a book shortage (if I remember right) at Union at the time this was going on. Honestly, the whole attitude around high school sports there was sickening. We're glad to be gone.

PostPosted: April 4 18, 12:36 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

The high school sports obsession in this country needs to go away. We have it here too. Back when I was in high school they wanted to cut art, band, and chorus, but not football. Btw cutting art, band, and chorus just so happen to be about what it cost to have football. Thankfully enough people were pissed that it didn't happen.

PostPosted: April 6 18, 7:04 am 
Hall Of Famer

I guess you can say term limits will ensure bad lawmakers have to leave eventually, but they certainly don't stop them from doing things you don't like. And instead of being a weakened incumbent I expect she'll be replaced by a Republican who talks just nice enough on taxes and teachers to get elected.

Quote:
Oklahoma's Republican Gov. Mary Fallin has faced the brunt of criticism from teachers, many of whom blame the term-limited governor for supporting tax cuts and generous state subsidies for businesses that have led to declines in state funding for schools and other state services. The governor further raised the ire of teachers after an interview this week in which she likened striking teachers to a "teenage kid that wants a better car."

Dozens of protesters inside the packed Capitol responded Wednesday by jangling their keys in the Capitol rotunda and chanting "Where's our car?"

PostPosted: April 6 18, 8:54 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

IMADreamer wrote:
The high school sports obsession in this country needs to go away. We have it here too. Back when I was in high school they wanted to cut art, band, and chorus, but not football. Btw cutting art, band, and chorus just so happen to be about what it cost to have football. Thankfully enough people were pissed that it didn't happen.

Agree 100%. The reason sports are associated with school was to promote learning of teamwork, competition, sportsmanship, etc. We're well past that now. We're probably promoting the exact opposite of those values, in a lot of cases.

PostPosted: April 7 18, 8:30 am 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: April 7 18, 9:36 am 
The Last Word

Popeye_Card wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:

Agree 100%. The reason sports are associated with school was to promote learning of teamwork, competition, sportsmanship, etc. We're well past that now. We're probably promoting the exact opposite of those values, in a lot of cases.

Kids needs something to do besides homework and video games. I think high school athletics is important for a few reasons......... physical fitness and relationship-building among them. They're also good for communities. I've bonded with people from our community at high school sporting events that I probably wouldn't have met, otherwise.

Now, don't get me wrong, you don't need to spend tens of millions of dollars on facilities to make that happen, and educators should get their money......... but dismissing high school sports as being somewhat irrelevant is going too far, in my opinion.

PostPosted: April 7 18, 3:07 pm 
Veteran Player

Socnorb11 wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:

Kids needs something to do besides homework and video games. I think high school athletics is important for a few reasons......... physical fitness and relationship-building among them. They're also good for communities. I've bonded with people from our community at high school sporting events that I probably wouldn't have met, otherwise.

Now, don't get me wrong, you don't need to spend tens of millions of dollars on facilities to make that happen, and educators should get their money......... but dismissing high school sports as being somewhat irrelevant is going too far, in my opinion.

Who did that, exactly? I might have missed it.

PostPosted: April 7 18, 4:13 pm 
The Last Word

Smith Corks One wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:

Who did that, exactly? I might have missed it.

Popeye's post implied it, I thought........... basically stating that the purpose of high school athletics has passed us by.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next