GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 20 19, 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: April 9 18, 12:45 pm 
Perennial All-Star

im on the school board of a small rural mo school. This is my first year but every meeting we’ve talked about teachers salary and the desire to increase them. Our districts pay scale has annual raises built in for years experience and continuing education. Honestly if you’ve been teaching for 15 years and have taken classes to get your masters your being paid very well for the area. Our starting pay is horrible, and we are the highest around on staring salary. These districts can only pay so much. Many of the local schools are only able to stay open because of school districts support of tax bond issues. Fewer and fewer tax payers can’t support these schools long term. I still feel like we provide a good education for those that want to receive it. The state will start closing down and consolidating rural schools before making any meaningful funding increases. Small towns without schools die quickly.

PostPosted: April 9 18, 2:25 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Socnorb11 wrote:
Smith Corks One wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
The high school sports obsession in this country needs to go away. We have it here too. Back when I was in high school they wanted to cut art, band, and chorus, but not football. Btw cutting art, band, and chorus just so happen to be about what it cost to have football. Thankfully enough people were pissed that it didn't happen.

Agree 100%. The reason sports are associated with school was to promote learning of teamwork, competition, sportsmanship, etc. We're well past that now. We're probably promoting the exact opposite of those values, in a lot of cases.

Kids needs something to do besides homework and video games. I think high school athletics is important for a few reasons......... physical fitness and relationship-building among them. They're also good for communities. I've bonded with people from our community at high school sporting events that I probably wouldn't have met, otherwise.

Now, don't get me wrong, you don't need to spend tens of millions of dollars on facilities to make that happen, and educators should get their money......... but dismissing high school sports as being somewhat irrelevant is going too far, in my opinion.

Who did that, exactly? I might have missed it.

Popeye's post implied it, I thought........... basically stating that the purpose of high school athletics has passed us by.

I can't speak for Popeye but I think to some extent the purpose has passed us by. I'm not sure it's about all those good things any more. Screaming parents, huge pressure on kids, parents getting in coaches faces if their kid doesn't play enough, etc. Not to mention 20 million dollar sports arenas for high school, but we gotta cut some salaries. I think at this point going forward school sports should in no way be tax payer funded. All that money needs to go to actual classes. If a school wants to have football they should have to fund raise outside of school to have it. What's the point of having a high school football team if the kids you are turning out of that school are not prepared for the world that awaits them long after football is done?

PostPosted: April 9 18, 3:06 pm 
Perennial All-Star

How are these facility updates handles elsewhere? Around here, even in bigger schools lots of private donations are used.

PostPosted: April 9 18, 3:17 pm 
The Last Word

I don't know about facilities updates, but we have sports boosters (along with ticket and concession sales) that pay most of the funding for extracurriculars. Very little of it is funded by the school itself.

PostPosted: April 9 18, 5:33 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Socnorb11 wrote:
I don't know about facilities updates, but we have sports boosters (along with ticket and concession sales) that pay most of the funding for extracurriculars. Very little of it is funded by the school itself.

Ya I know all districts are different but we’ve got a ,pretty modest, line for coaches salery. Some equipment upgrades, transportation and utilities. Most of this ends up being covered by admission to games. New uniforms and warm ups, Gatorade and such get purchased by the booster club. Not every gym is 20 million.

PostPosted: April 9 18, 10:33 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Diddy wrote:
im on the school board of a small rural mo school. This is my first year but every meeting we’ve talked about teachers salary and the desire to increase them. Our districts pay scale has annual raises built in for years experience and continuing education. Honestly if you’ve been teaching for 15 years and have taken classes to get your masters your being paid very well for the area. Our starting pay is horrible, and we are the highest around on staring salary. These districts can only pay so much. Many of the local schools are only able to stay open because of school districts support of tax bond issues. Fewer and fewer tax payers can’t support these schools long term. I still feel like we provide a good education for those that want to receive it. The state will start closing down and consolidating rural schools before making any meaningful funding increases. Small towns without schools die quickly.

Sorry to hear this Diddy. We live in small district but have some luxury of a.good tax base (located in area still viable for obnoxious but thriving big box retail which are on tax rolls after their TIF bonds/welfare for rich were paid off). The voluntary deseg program does a lot of good for the district too.

I really think the state, maybe even feds should step up, force some sharing of tax bases. Like Jennings (not far from Ferguson) - how is a community like that going to make it work? Really is dumb to ship kids all over the place for school, and harmful for community.

PostPosted: April 14 18, 10:39 am 
Hall Of Famer

PostPosted: April 15 18, 12:48 pm 
Mayor of GRB

Matt Bevin is such a [expletive].

PostPosted: April 15 18, 7:09 pm 
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Do Kentuckians call summer "rapin' season"?

PostPosted: April 16 18, 6:02 am 
Mayor of GRB

cardsfansince82 wrote:
Do Kentuckians call summer "rapin' season"?

It's not a season--it's a time of day, right after school lets out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next