GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 21 19, 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: February 18 19, 1:28 pm 
Hall Of Famer

https://www.vox.com/2019/2/15/18226222/ ... nimum-wage
Quote:
Years of strikes and rallies to raise the minimum wage across the US are starting to pay off.

Earlier this month, New Jersey became the fourth state in the country to raise its minimum wage to $15 an hour. Illinois is poised to become the fifth one.

On Thursday, Illinois state lawmakers passed a law that will gradually raise the wage floor from $8.25 to $15 an hour by 2024 —the first state in the Midwest to do so. Illinois’s new governor, J.B. Pritzker, had campaigned on a $15 minimum wage and is expected to sign the bill in the coming days. Earlier this month, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy signed a similar bill.

PostPosted: February 18 19, 3:04 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Now we just need better labor unions, since Unite HERE Local 1 housekeepers in Chicago hotels earn $18.79/hr and have free healthcare among their many other benefits like pension, vacation, travel comps, etc. "Free" on the healthcare = they pay like $30/mo in union dues and then have no copay for office visits, no copay for prescriptions, if they go to the hospital for a huge emergency and the bill is $200K they might pay $500 out of pocket. It's a BCBS PPO that's basically the Rolls Royce of health care plans.

PostPosted: February 18 19, 3:44 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Living here on the Iowa/Illinois border I'm very interested to see how this plays out.
- How many business will close?
- How many businesses will move across the river to Iowa?
- Will Iowa employers in this area be forced to raise wages to retain workers?

Everyone thinks that all kinds of businesses will move to Iowa. Some will, no doubt, but I think it will be fewer than they think. So many minimum wage jobs are tied to location - meaning hotels, restaurants, stores, etc are all placed in strategic locations where there is traffic or an airport or a highway exit or whatever. That stuff is not moving. Illinois Democrats are planning to make a lot of other changes, too. It might be really difficult to separate the effects of raising the minimum wage from some of these other changes.

PostPosted: February 18 19, 4:56 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

I'm curious how this plays out downstate. I know people in the cities probably need $15 an hour but this will definitely squeeze out some small businesses downstate. At the farm we already pay above that so no big there, I do only pay $12 an hour at my side business, but going up over the next few years won't kill me. I was trying to do the math on how much I'd have to go up but I didn't ever come up with an amount.