GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 11 19, 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: August 7 17, 2:54 pm 
Consider him admonished

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/08/04/h ... th-warren/
Quote:
BOSTON (AP) — Americans with hearing loss could soon be able to buy hearing aids over the counter under a plan championed by Democratic U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

The measure was included in a Food and Drug Administration reauthorization bill that passed the Senate Thursday. The House passed the bill in July.

The bill was sent to President Donald Trump for his signature.

Warren says 48 million people have hearing loss, but fewer than one in six get the devices because they’re too expensive.

She says the bill would reduce regulations and open up the market so the cost of hearing aids could drop. She says some cost thousands of dollars, but under the bill, those prices could drop into the hundreds of dollars.

Democratic Rep. Joe Kennedy also supports the bill.

Ha. Government regulation is essentially a 90% tax on hearing aids. I knew I liked her.

PostPosted: August 7 17, 3:26 pm 
tl;dr

Since I don't trust any politician these days (or 99% of corporations)... just what are these regulations that are driving up the costs? Are they needless or are they regulations like, "the device must not blow up in the person's ear within two weeks because the manufacturer cut costs and used dangerous battery designs."

Serious question because the article mentions nothing about what the regulations regulate.

PostPosted: August 7 17, 3:35 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Good idea: Reducing regulations in one specific instance where the effect would have a tremendously positive impact on a very large swatch of Americans
Bad idea: Reducing all regulations across the board allowing corporations and industries to run roughshod over our entire population (proven time and time again)

PostPosted: August 7 17, 3:51 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Seems like the change is less about regulations governing the manufacture of hearing aides than about needing a doctor's prescription to buy one.

Sure, why not? Personally I don't understand why we need prescriptions to buy half the stuff we currently can only get with a doctor's prescription. Glasses and contact lenses for example? Why do I need a prescription for that? If I want to buy contacts with a three year old prescription what's wrong with that? Why should I have to pay a doctor $90 for a contact exam just to buy the lenses? I'm not going to OD on contact lenses.

PostPosted: August 7 17, 5:48 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Ha. Here's libertarian rag Reason arguing that this is actually a scheme to increase regulation because unregulated PSAPs (personal sound amplification devices -- effectively lower end hearing aids barred from marketing themselves as such) would be moved under the regulated OTC hearing aid category.

https://reason.com/blog/2017/05/11/elizabeth-warren-tries-to-sell-more-regu

In fact, it seems that the goal here is to introduce an intermediate regulatory category of basic hearing aid devices that would still meet industry standards but be easier to bring to market and be more widely available.

Seems like a reasonable idea.

PostPosted: August 7 17, 5:55 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Bernie is a libertarian too because he thinks Americans should be able to buy drugs from Canada, when they have lower prices for the same exact drug.

PostPosted: August 7 17, 6:49 pm 
Consider him admonished

Arthur Dent wrote:
Ha. Here's libertarian rag Reason arguing that this is actually a scheme to increase regulation because unregulated PSAPs (personal sound amplification devices -- effectively lower end hearing aids barred from marketing themselves as such) would be moved under the regulated OTC hearing aid category.

https://reason.com/blog/2017/05/11/elizabeth-warren-tries-to-sell-more-regu

In fact, it seems that the goal here is to introduce an intermediate regulatory category of basic hearing aid devices that would still meet industry standards but be easier to bring to market and be more widely available.

Seems like a reasonable idea.

It does sound like some sleight of hand.

Yeah I tend to agree. Pisses me off that I need a rx for my contacts when nothing has changed.

I'm sure some patients feel the same about me and their Zoloft

PostPosted: August 7 17, 6:49 pm 
Consider him admonished

GeddyWrox wrote:
Good idea: Reducing regulations in one specific instance where the effect would have a tremendously positive impact on a very large swatch of Americans
Bad idea: Reducing all regulations across the board allowing corporations and industries to run roughshod over our entire population (proven time and time again)

Agreed. It's why I'm not an anarchist

PostPosted: August 7 17, 7:32 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Tim wrote:
Pisses me off that I need a rx for my contacts when nothing has changed.

I enjoyed this quote from an article on the legislation establishing that. It features a classic Bush-era legislative title, the "Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act":

He also questioned the one-year threshold for new prescriptions, contending it was established without scientific evidence supporting the need for annual eye exams.

The United States has 36 million contact lens wearers, and the average eye exam costs $100, Mr. McCallum said, meaning that optometrists are ''guaranteed $3.6 billion in exam revenue.''

''But the question is what benefit does that provide?'' he said. ''The optometric community has never done that study.''

Dr. Victor Connors, president of the American Optometric Association, a trade group, said the organization lobbied Congress for the one-year threshold because it reflected the standard of care. ''I haven't seen any health care studies on that, but I'm sure they've done them,'' he said.

Jeffrey S. Eisenberg, managing editor of the trade publication Review of Optometry, said he was unaware of any such studies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/21/business/e-commerce-report-new-federal-law-was-supposed-help-online-sellers-contact.html

PostPosted: August 8 17, 7:05 am 
Hall Of Famer

Tim wrote:
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/08/04/hearing-aid-bill-elizabeth-warren/
Quote:
BOSTON (AP) — Americans with hearing loss could soon be able to buy hearing aids over the counter under a plan championed by Democratic U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

The measure was included in a Food and Drug Administration reauthorization bill that passed the Senate Thursday. The House passed the bill in July.

The bill was sent to President Donald Trump for his signature.

Warren says 48 million people have hearing loss, but fewer than one in six get the devices because they’re too expensive.

She says the bill would reduce regulations and open up the market so the cost of hearing aids could drop. She says some cost thousands of dollars, but under the bill, those prices could drop into the hundreds of dollars.

Democratic Rep. Joe Kennedy also supports the bill.

Ha. Government regulation is essentially a 90% tax on hearing aids. I knew I liked her.

Bourbon is taxed at 60% plus whatever state taxes are levied...can she work on that next?