GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 21 19, 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: April 23 18, 2:04 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

lukethedrifter wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
More dismissive. Whatever.
I’m pro legalized weed. I’m pro pardoning many, most charged with weed crimes.

And, yes, just like anything else that adversely affects you, you should just stop. Alcohol, abusive relationships, pain pills, being depressed.

I'm a little skeptical that 1 in 3 people, as cited in that NY Times article, who smoke marijuana regularly experience this side effect. No doubt as its use becomes more mainstream and can be studied as a descheduled drug, more of its side effects will become known.

https://www.healio.com/gastroenterology ... hould-know

That study is really just a survey and is a few years old. Small sample size blah blah blah. 1/3 of chronic users sounds high (good grief) but who knows.
I can assure you, anecdotally, that it can it can last much longer than just a hot shower. Over 2 weeks, lost much weight, Denver area ER docs did not know how to handle, long term health at risk, family incredibly concerned.
Not sure if he will completely refrain since it’s his career. I hope so.

To be fair, the symptoms do sounds pretty terrible. Sorry to be dismissive if your friend has been going through that. This is the first time I've heard of such side effects.

I wonder if they could be caused by something other than the plant itself? I guess in Colorado where the supply is legal and regulated the plants are pretty free of pesticide, fungicide, etc, so perhaps nothing to that idea.

Interestingly, his dispensary was recently contacted by some med school/uni to start a new study.

And, he knows exactly what goes in the weed because he runs the operation

That sucks. It's like a wine maker becoming allergic to wine.

What if he took an extended break from smoking, like 6 months or a year to see if his body resets and will tolerate it again?

PostPosted: August 20 18, 12:50 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Atlantic

More and more Americans are reporting near-constant cannabis use, as legalization forges ahead.

Quote:
Public-health experts worry about the increasingly potent options available, and the striking number of constant users. “Cannabis is potentially a real public-health problem,” said Mark A. R. Kleiman, a professor of public policy at New York University. “It wasn’t obvious to me 25 years ago, when 9 percent of self-reported cannabis users over the last month reported daily or near-daily use. I always was prepared to say, ‘No, it’s not a very abusable drug. Nine percent of anybody will do something stupid.’ But that number is now [something like] 40 percent.” They argue that state and local governments are setting up legal regimes without sufficient public-health protection, with some even warning that the country is replacing one form of reefer madness with another, careening from treating cannabis as if it were as dangerous as heroin to treating it as if it were as benign as kombucha.

But cannabis is not benign, even if it is relatively benign, compared with alcohol, opiates, and cigarettes, among other substances. Thousands of Americans are finding their own use problematic in a climate where pot products are getting more potent, more socially acceptable to use, and yet easier to come by, not that it was particularly hard before.

PostPosted: August 20 18, 1:18 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

Visited some Washington dispensaries last week. The cross section of people you see buying legal pot is wild. Just by appearances alone, every kind of person out there smokes pot. Moms, slackers, business dudes, white collar, blue collar, etc.

Anecdotally we know that, but it's still funny to see in person. You don't get to see all of your weed guy's customers in person like you do when you have to wait in line at a dispensary.

PostPosted: August 20 18, 1:35 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Freed Roger wrote:
Atlantic

More and more Americans are reporting near-constant cannabis use, as legalization forges ahead.

Quote:
Public-health experts worry about the increasingly potent options available, and the striking number of constant users. “Cannabis is potentially a real public-health problem,” said Mark A. R. Kleiman, a professor of public policy at New York University. “It wasn’t obvious to me 25 years ago, when 9 percent of self-reported cannabis users over the last month reported daily or near-daily use. I always was prepared to say, ‘No, it’s not a very abusable drug. Nine percent of anybody will do something stupid.’ But that number is now [something like] 40 percent.” They argue that state and local governments are setting up legal regimes without sufficient public-health protection, with some even warning that the country is replacing one form of reefer madness with another, careening from treating cannabis as if it were as dangerous as heroin to treating it as if it were as benign as kombucha.

But cannabis is not benign, even if it is relatively benign, compared with alcohol, opiates, and cigarettes, among other substances. Thousands of Americans are finding their own use problematic in a climate where pot products are getting more potent, more socially acceptable to use, and yet easier to come by, not that it was particularly hard before.

I don't really get these kind of articles. As with anything, too much of a good thing can be bad. But if the worst that happens to everyday cannabis users is they don't grab life by the horns or whatever, or put on a few extra pounds, not exactly a threat to public health in the way that alcohol is.

PostPosted: August 20 18, 1:36 pm 
99% conan clips

i wish i could go to a dispensary like an adult