GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently July 19 19, 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: August 20 18, 4:22 pm 
The Last Word

If the guy is a murderer, I'm glad they got him. I mean, I think it's wise for ICE to focus on illegal immigrants who could be a threat, rather than those who aren't. Isn't that what we want?

I feel bad for his wife.

PostPosted: August 20 18, 4:51 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Innocent until proven guilty

Immigrants can be held indefinitely without a trial

ICE is like a gulag

PostPosted: August 20 18, 4:59 pm 
The Last Word

pioneer98 wrote:
Innocent until proven guilty

Immigrants can be held indefinitely without a trial

ICE is like a gulag

Of course, innocent until proven guilty, but if an American citizen had a warrant out for murder, they would arrest him as well, and I'd want them to.

I mean, this guy was an illegal immigrant, and a murder suspect. I feel bad for his wife, and I don't want him to go before the firing squad tomorrow, but shouldn't we have an expectation of him to make some better decisions, at some point?

PostPosted: August 20 18, 5:04 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Also, it may turn out to be fabricated [expletive] by ICE

ICE’s Arrest Of Man Wanted On Mexican Homicide Warrant Is Case Of Mistaken Identity, Say Wife, Lawyer
Quote:
STUDIO CITY (CBSLA) — The wife and lawyer of the man whose arrest by immigration agents last week made headlines around the country say the whole ordeal might have been caused by a case of mistaken identity.

Security video obtained by CBS2 News last week shows officers with Immigration and Customs Enforcement detaining Joel Arrona-Lara at a San Bernardino gas station while he was driving his wife to a scheduled Cesarean section. The footage shows Maria del Carmen Venegas visibly upset after the arrest inside the gas station’s convenience store.

Just after she had delivered her baby boy, Venegas told CBS2 that her husband had never been in trouble with the law, not having even received a ticket. On Friday, ICE issued a statement saying Arrona-Lara was arrested for “illegally residing in the United States” by the agency’s “Fugitive Operations Team” and was awaiting removal.

On Saturday, ICE said Arrona-Lara had, in fact, been targeted because he is wanted on an outstanding homicide warrant in Mexico, a detail that was not included in the original statement.

His attorney told CBS2 he is not aware of any such warrant and has been unable to confirm it from the Mexican consulate.

PostPosted: August 20 18, 5:12 pm 
The Last Word

Well, his attorney says so, anyway.

I guess we'll see. I doubt if ICE is just arresting random people for the hell of it. I'm not sure what their incentive would be to do that.

PostPosted: August 20 18, 5:19 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Socnorb11 wrote:

I guess we'll see. I doubt if ICE is just arresting random people for the hell of it. I'm not sure what their incentive would be to do that.

Because they can?

PostPosted: August 20 18, 5:21 pm 
The Last Word

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

Because they can?

For what purpose?

I mean, "because they can" isn't really an incentive.

PostPosted: August 20 18, 5:23 pm 
The Last Word

Here's the thing. We get infuriated that ICE "might have" fabricated this story (per his attorney....... I'll believe it when I see it). Nobody here is furious that this guy "might have" killed someone, though?

This seems like a pretty classic case of everyone, on both sides, simply believing what they want to believe, and shouting it from the mountaintops before anybody really knows what actually happened.

PostPosted: August 20 18, 5:44 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Socnorb11 wrote:
Here's the thing. We get infuriated that ICE "might have" fabricated this story (per his attorney....... I'll believe it when I see it). Nobody here is furious that this guy "might have" killed someone, though?

This seems like a pretty classic case of everyone, on both sides, simply believing what they want to believe, and shouting it from the mountaintops before anybody really knows what actually happened.

Does everyone include you?

PostPosted: August 20 18, 6:11 pm 
The Last Word

lukethedrifter wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

Does everyone include you?

I suppose so. I'm a little different though........ I don't trust either side much. I suspect that ICE is out of bounds fairly often, and this guy guy seems like someone that needs put back on track.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next