GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently July 23 19, 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: September 13 18, 1:44 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

What an incredible negotiator our President is. We've gone from building a wall that Mexico was going to pay for, to paying Mexico $20 billion to deport migrants within Mexico back to Central America.
U.S. Plans to Pay Mexico to Deport Unauthorized Immigrants There

Sure, just give Mexico $20 billion to pre-deport people before they get here. What could possible go wrong? It's not like Mexico is rife with political corruption or anything.

And where are they getting the money? From foreign aid that Congress appropriated for other purposes.

Quote:
The plan, which has been debated internally for months, is part of a broader push by the Trump administration to redirect billions in foreign assistance to other priorities. The administration has yet to spend nearly $3 billion in foreign aid, money allocated last year by Congress with broad bipartisan support. Hundreds of millions of dollars meant to help stabilize Syria and support Palestinian schools and hospitals has already been redirected.

While the administration has made several announcements about not spending on priorities Congress intended, it has mostly kept quiet about what it will do with the money. But it has long been frustrated that Congress provides billions for foreign aid while refusing to fund its immigration priorities. The money will be transferred from the State Department to the Department of Homeland Security, and then sent to Mexico.

PostPosted: September 13 18, 3:23 pm 
Hall Of Famer

G. Keenan wrote:
What an incredible negotiator our President is. We've gone from building a wall that Mexico was going to pay for, to paying Mexico $20 billion to deport migrants within Mexico back to Central America.
U.S. Plans to Pay Mexico to Deport Unauthorized Immigrants There

Sure, just give Mexico $20 billion to pre-deport people before they get here. What could possible go wrong? It's not like Mexico is rife with political corruption or anything.

And where are they getting the money? From foreign aid that Congress appropriated for other purposes.

Quote:
The plan, which has been debated internally for months, is part of a broader push by the Trump administration to redirect billions in foreign assistance to other priorities. The administration has yet to spend nearly $3 billion in foreign aid, money allocated last year by Congress with broad bipartisan support. Hundreds of millions of dollars meant to help stabilize Syria and support Palestinian schools and hospitals has already been redirected.

While the administration has made several announcements about not spending on priorities Congress intended, it has mostly kept quiet about what it will do with the money. But it has long been frustrated that Congress provides billions for foreign aid while refusing to fund its immigration priorities. The money will be transferred from the State Department to the Department of Homeland Security, and then sent to Mexico.

NYT is saying its $20 million and not billion. The principle is still the same.

PostPosted: September 13 18, 3:33 pm 

Whoops.

PostPosted: September 21 18, 12:50 pm 

Now Health and Human Services is diverting money from things like cancer research and Head Start to pay for detention of unaccompanied immigrant children. $266 million dollars.

God this [expletive] is so damn stupid.

TRUMP ADMIN WILL PAY FOR IMMIGRANT DETENTION BY DIVERTING MILLIONS FROM CANCER RESEARCH, OTHER PROGRAMS

Quote:
The Department of Health and Human Services is diverting up to $266 million this fiscal year to pay for the detainment of immigrant children, Yahoo News reported.

In a letter to Senator Patty Murray of Washington, HHS Secretary Alex Azar detailed his plan to redistribute money previously used for cancer research, other refugee support programs and Head Start, which provides children from low-income families with education, health and social services.

The funds will be sent to the Unaccompanied Alien Children program, which is overseen by the Office of Refugee Resettlement.

"Nearly $80 million of that money will come from other refugee support programs within ORR, which have seen their needs significantly diminished as the Trump administration makes drastic cuts to the annual refugee numbers," Yahoo News reported. "The rest is being taken from other programs, including $16.7 million from Head Start, $5.7 million from the Ryan White HIV/AIDS program and $13.3 million from the National Cancer Institute. Money is also being diverted from programs dedicated to mental and maternal health, women’s shelters and substance abuse."

PostPosted: September 21 18, 1:24 pm 
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Brown people are a cancer too.

PostPosted: September 30 18, 7:10 pm 
Hall Of Famer

You could put this story in a couple of places. I don't know, is there a Devin Nunes thread somewhere?

Quote:
There is massive political hypocrisy at the center of this: Trump’s and King’s rural-farm supporters embrace anti-immigrant politicians while employing undocumented immigrants. The greatest threat to Iowa dairy farmers, of course, is not the press. It’s Donald Trump.

But that’s not how the Nunes family apparently saw it. On my third day in Sibley, I became used to the cars tailing me. In the morning, I was followed by the redhead in the muddy white Yukon. In the afternoon, there was a shift change and I was followed by a different, later-model white Yukon. I stuck a GoPro on my dashboard and left it running whenever I parked my car. When I reviewed the videos, one of the two Yukons could always be seen slowly circling as I ate lunch or interviewed someone.

There was no doubt about why I was being followed. According to two sources with firsthand knowledge, NuStar did indeed rely, at least in part, on undocumented labor. One source, who was deeply connected in the local Hispanic community, had personally sent undocumented workers to Anthony Nunes Jr.’s farm for jobs. “I’ve been there and bring illegal people,” the source said, asserting that the farm was aware of their status. “People come here and ask for work, so I send them over there.” When I asked how many people working at dairies in the area are documented citizens, the source laughed. “To be honest? None. One percent, maybe.”

TL/DR: Cognitive dissonance is a powerful force. Devin Nunes's family has a farm in Iowa that's completely dependent on undocumented Hispanic immigrant labor. This would be a scandal, if widely reported. And if ICE ever came to Sibley, the Nunes family farm would be out of business. The Nunes family understands this, and their reaction... is to chase anyone investigating the matter out of town.

PostPosted: September 30 18, 8:47 pm 
Hall Of Famer

If the immigrants actually got some rights, the farmers would have to pay them more. So they are in this extremely weird position of needing to keep their workers undocumented, but supporting politicians who want to deport their employees. Because scared and desperate employees are good employees.

The other side of this equation is that we might have to pay more for dairy products if they actually employed legal immigrants. That would not be that big of a deal if we raised wages for people. But right now, that is yet another thing that is not politically viable.

PostPosted: October 1 18, 12:25 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

https://qz.com/1407757/the-us-is-relocating-migrant-children-in-the-middle-of-the-night/amp/

I didnt realize the US has 13,000 children detained. is that # correct? my God

PostPosted: October 25 18, 7:21 am 
Hall Of Famer

Who’s Behind ICE? How Amazon, Palantir, Microsoft & Tech Giants Are Powering Trump’s Deportations
Quote:
A shocking new investigation by immigrant rights groups reveals how corporations like Amazon, Palantir and Microsoft are profiting from and expediting Trump’s incarceration and deportation operations. Some 10 percent of the Department of Homeland Security’s $44 billion budget is dedicated to data management. The report was published as new documents obtained by the Project on Government Oversight show Amazon is pushing Immigration and Customs Enforcement to start using its controversial facial recognition technology that could identify immigrants in real time by scanning faces in a video feed. We speak with Jacinta González, organizer with Mijente, a national political hub for Latinx organizing. The group partnered with the Immigrant Defense Project and the National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild on the new report titled “Who’s Behind ICE? The Tech and Data Companies Fueling Deportations.”

PostPosted: March 7 19, 8:31 am 
Hall Of Famer

Thousands of Immigrant Children Said They Were Sexually Abused in U.S. Detention Centers, Report Says
Quote:
The federal government received more than 4,500 complaints in four years about the sexual abuse of immigrant children who were being held at government-funded detention facilities, including an increase in complaints while the Trump administration’s policy of separating migrant families at the border was in place, the Justice Department revealed this week.

The records, which involve children who had entered the country alone or had been separated from their parents, detailed allegations that adult staff members had harassed and assaulted children, including fondling and kissing minors, watching them as they showered, and raping them. They also included cases of suspected abuse of children by other minors.

From October 2014 to July 2018, the Office of Refugee Resettlement, a part of the Health and Human Services Department that cares for so-called unaccompanied minors, received a total of 4,556 allegations of sexual abuse or sexual harassment, 1,303 of which were referred to the Justice Department. Of those 1,303 cases deemed the most serious, 178 were accusations that adult staff members had sexually assaulted immigrant children, while the rest were allegations of minors assaulting other minors, the report said.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next