GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 22 19, 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space Force
PostPosted: September 4 18, 12:21 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Fat Strat wrote:
Quote:
Sure there is air in space otherwise the astronauts on the ISS would be dead. There is air in space, people just have to take it with them sometimes. Duh.

So, we give the Air Force jurisdiction over all areas in space where there is air. And the Space Force jurisdiction over all areas in space that are just space.

Now... we need to define what atmospheric conditions qualify as "air" and how much of a lack of atmosphere qualifies as "space" and we'll have this sort out by lunch.

I think we are underselling the Coast Guard here. Low Earth orbit is kind of like the planetary coast, no?

PostPosted: September 4 18, 1:01 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Fat Strat wrote:
There has been a great deal of joking and laughing about the whole Space Force thing -- not only here, but pretty much everywhere. I'm wondering, though, how much of that is because this is coming from Trump's administration, who really can't do anything without eliciting either scoffing or outrage. Or both. Usually it's deserved.

That said, I ask: if someone less controversial and more generally respected (like Obama or Bush senior, or almost any of the other primary candidates from the 2016 cycle) had proposed something like this "Space Force" what would your response be?

This question is not intended to be a defense of "Space Force" -- I cant even type it without laughing a little. I'm just curious and think its interesting and fun to talk about potential details of a space-oriented security and military presence. With space tourism becoming a real thing now or very soon and privatized missions to and perhaps colonization of Mars (which could require the development of staging areas that included on-site populations), it kind of seems like something along the lines of "Space Force" might be necessary, in some fashion or form.

I would still be asking the question of why. Why do we need to have a military presence in space? Why can't we just continue to fund (or increase funding to) NASA?

Space should remain a peaceful place. If anything, we should be figuring out what to do with all the dead satellites up there, even if it means pushing them towards the sun so they can be incinerated.

And if it ever gets rowdy up there, then we already know that all we need to do is call Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum and Bill Paxton.

PostPosted: September 5 18, 8:02 am 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

G. Keenan wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
Quote:
Sure there is air in space otherwise the astronauts on the ISS would be dead. There is air in space, people just have to take it with them sometimes. Duh.

So, we give the Air Force jurisdiction over all areas in space where there is air. And the Space Force jurisdiction over all areas in space that are just space.

Now... we need to define what atmospheric conditions qualify as "air" and how much of a lack of atmosphere qualifies as "space" and we'll have this sort out by lunch.

I think we are underselling the Coast Guard here. Low Earth orbit is kind of like the planetary coast, no?

Yes! My wife and I talked about this last night and she thought it made the most sense, in terms of mission and redundancy, to put the Space Force under the Coast Guard.

PostPosted: September 5 18, 8:24 am 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

mikechamp wrote:
I would still be asking the question of why. Why do we need to have a military presence in space? Why can't we just continue to fund (or increase funding to) NASA?

Space should remain a peaceful place. If anything, we should be figuring out what to do with all the dead satellites up there, even if it means pushing them towards the sun so they can be incinerated.

And if it ever gets rowdy up there, then we already know that all we need to do is call Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum and Bill Paxton.

We should just let the Bruce Willis' roughnecks take care of it!

You don't have go all the way to "military presence" to see the need for something outside of NASA. Who is going to police, inspect, and provide support for (even rescue if we get to that point) civilian space tourism? When we have a constant colonized presence outside of our atmosphere -- which really isn't THAT far away -- who is going oversee that? NASA isn't a law enforcement agency nor is it a governing body. It's not all that different than saying, "why do we need a military presence of earth when we have the State Department?" The Earth should be peaceful place! Or, a different approach, "why do we need the FBI to enforce laws when we have the House & Senate to make laws?"

PostPosted: September 5 18, 9:08 am 
tl;dr

Fat Strat wrote:
mikechamp wrote:

We should just let the Bruce Willis' roughnecks take care of it!

You don't have go all the way to "military presence" to see the need for something outside of NASA. Who is going to police, inspect, and provide support for (even rescue if we get to that point) civilian space tourism? When we have a constant colonized presence outside of our atmosphere -- which really isn't THAT far away -- who is going oversee that? NASA isn't a law enforcement agency nor is it a governing body. It's not all that different than saying, "why do we need a military presence of earth when we have the State Department?" The Earth should be peaceful place! Or, a different approach, "why do we need the FBI to enforce laws when we have the House & Senate to make laws?"

With the rescue and law enforcement questions, you just made a great case for the Coast Guard. As mentioned, space is like one huge border above and all around the country and the Coast Guard currently handles security and rescue missions around borders as well as enforcing maritime laws so law enforcement is already a part of their job. When my brother was stationed in Texas, they spent their patrols boarding fishing vessels and making sure they were following all of the proper laws. I am not fully behind the Coast Guard taking control in protecting our space borders and law enforcement now. Plus that means my brother might get to be an astronaut. Although he might be a bit too old by the time we get there. Today is his 34th birthday actually.

PostPosted: September 5 18, 9:48 am 
Hall Of Famer

Fat Strat wrote:
Who is going to police, inspect, and provide support for (even rescue if we get to that point) civilian space tourism? When we have a constant colonized presence outside of our atmosphere -- which really isn't THAT far away -- who is going oversee that?

Off world colonization is nowhere in sight and space tourism will remain an insignificant lark for the very rich indefinitely.

What we do have is the Air Force space command with satellite tracking, ICBM stuff, etc. which seems to have excited Trump with thoughts of spaceships with guns.

PostPosted: September 5 18, 9:57 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Space tourism sounds cool in theory, but isn't it a controlled environment? You get to look out a small window at the earth and stars and experience weightlessness while drinking Tang. The rocket ride would be unique. Other than that, it seems like an experience that can pretty much be simulated here on earth.

PostPosted: September 5 18, 10:20 am 
Perennial All-Star

Arthur Dent wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
Who is going to police, inspect, and provide support for (even rescue if we get to that point) civilian space tourism? When we have a constant colonized presence outside of our atmosphere -- which really isn't THAT far away -- who is going oversee that?

Off world colonization is nowhere in sight and space tourism will remain an insignificant lark for the very rich indefinitely.

What we do have is the Air Force space command with satellite tracking, ICBM stuff, etc. which seems to have excited Trump with thoughts of spaceships with guns.

PEW! PEW! PEW!

PostPosted: September 5 18, 11:20 am 
tl;dr

Freed Roger wrote:
Space tourism sounds cool in theory, but isn't it a controlled environment? You get to look out a small window at the earth and stars and experience weightlessness while drinking Tang. The rocket ride would be unique. Other than that, it seems like an experience that can pretty much be simulated here on earth.

A rocket ride and Tang? I'm sold even without the weightlessness and ability to look out of a window at the Earth. Who do I give my millions to?

Seriously though, I do get what you are saying about replicating the experience of looking out of the window here on Earth. I would have said the same thing not too many years ago but then I saw the Grand Canyon (just a hole in the ground, I've seen pictures before) and the eclipse last year (once again, I've seen pictures, who cares) in person. Those two experiences completely changed my attitude. Seeing those in person and not just in pictures or video was truly awe inspiring. When we walked up to the rim of the Grand Canyon, my mind almost broke, pictures and video just do not do it justice.

I'd have to imagine that seeing the Earth from orbit would be an even more amazing experience. If I had the means, I would do anything I could to get up there.

PostPosted: September 5 18, 11:38 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

tlombard wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:

A rocket ride and Tang? I'm sold even without the weightlessness and ability to look out of a window at the Earth. Who do I give my millions to?

Seriously though, I do get what you are saying about replicating the experience of looking out of the window here on Earth. I would have said the same thing not too many years ago but then I saw the Grand Canyon (just a hole in the ground, I've seen pictures before) and the eclipse last year (once again, I've seen pictures, who cares) in person. Those two experiences completely changed my attitude. Seeing those in person and not just in pictures or video was truly awe inspiring. When we walked up to the rim of the Grand Canyon, my mind almost broke, pictures and video just do not do it justice.

I'd have to imagine that seeing the Earth from orbit would be an even more amazing experience. If I had the means, I would do anything I could to get up there.

It would be neato to experience space, for sure. I get what you are saying. I'm sure I'd see some things out of that window that I couldn't from high def footage. FWIW, I am definitely a window seat passenger on planes, if I can help it.

However, your example of the Grand Canyon and eclipse sort of emphasize my point - whereas there you experience all the sensations of the place-besides sight. Much better than looking at a picture or going to omnimax.

I'd be curious to sense the silence in space. Or would mechanical white noise would mess that up?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next