GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 6 19, 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Space Force
PostPosted: September 5 18, 11:42 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

I bet space passengers will spend the bulk of their space time on their smartphones

PostPosted: September 5 18, 11:50 am 
Perennial All-Star

lukethedrifter wrote:
I bet space passengers will spend the bulk of their space time on their smartphones

Watching cat videos

PostPosted: September 5 18, 12:23 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Arthur Dent wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
Who is going to police, inspect, and provide support for (even rescue if we get to that point) civilian space tourism? When we have a constant colonized presence outside of our atmosphere -- which really isn't THAT far away -- who is going oversee that?

Off world colonization is nowhere in sight and space tourism will remain an insignificant lark for the very rich indefinitely.

To Arthur's point, Space Force might be a good idea someday, but today (and the rest of this decade) is not that day. I get that these things need to be thought out and planned, and that takes time. But this is certainly not the administration for that task, and because it's not an urgent or even semi-urgent situation, this expenditure can wait. The U.S. can (and should) spend its money on more pressing issues, like helping to save the environment on the only planet we know of that can house us comfortably.

PostPosted: September 5 18, 12:45 pm 
tl;dr

Freed Roger wrote:
tlombard wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
Space tourism sounds cool in theory, but isn't it a controlled environment? You get to look out a small window at the earth and stars and experience weightlessness while drinking Tang. The rocket ride would be unique. Other than that, it seems like an experience that can pretty much be simulated here on earth.

A rocket ride and Tang? I'm sold even without the weightlessness and ability to look out of a window at the Earth. Who do I give my millions to?

Seriously though, I do get what you are saying about replicating the experience of looking out of the window here on Earth. I would have said the same thing not too many years ago but then I saw the Grand Canyon (just a hole in the ground, I've seen pictures before) and the eclipse last year (once again, I've seen pictures, who cares) in person. Those two experiences completely changed my attitude. Seeing those in person and not just in pictures or video was truly awe inspiring. When we walked up to the rim of the Grand Canyon, my mind almost broke, pictures and video just do not do it justice.

I'd have to imagine that seeing the Earth from orbit would be an even more amazing experience. If I had the means, I would do anything I could to get up there.

It would be neato to experience space, for sure. I get what you are saying. I'm sure I'd see some things out of that window that I couldn't from high def footage. FWIW, I am definitely a window seat passenger on planes, if I can help it.

However, your example of the Grand Canyon and eclipse sort of emphasize my point - whereas there you experience all the sensations of the place-besides sight. Much better than looking at a picture or going to omnimax.

I'd be curious to sense the silence in space. Or would mechanical white noise would mess that up?

For myself, mechanical noise wouldn't mess anything up because that is all a vital part of being (and surviving) in space. While you are looking out of that window, that mechanical buzzing in the background is keeping you a live and every bit as part of the sensory experience as all of the insects you only hear at night suddenly making noise during the height of the eclipse.

I also don't think Omnimax or even virtual reality are anywhere close to seeing the real thing. For me, in the back of my mind, I know that I'm watching something that was recorded no matter how good the quality is. I have the Daydream VR headset for my phone and while you can get caught up in things for a moment or two, like when I thought I was falling when I was lounging on my couch watching a movie with the HBO app and looked down to see nothing but blackness and grabbed onto the couch like my life depended on it, it still isn't the same. I've taken virtual tours of famous sights around the world and while it is really cool to be able to virtually stand at the rim of the Grand Canyon and look around 360 degrees, it just isn't the same even visually because my mind knows it isn't real.

PostPosted: September 5 18, 2:26 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Supersonic passenger flight, a totally proven and actually somewhat useful technology has died off. The challenges of space flight are vastly greater: much more dangerous, much more expensive, and no use case outside extremely high end recreation.

PostPosted: September 5 18, 3:27 pm 
tl;dr

Arthur Dent wrote:
Supersonic passenger flight, a totally proven and actually somewhat useful technology has died off. The challenges of space flight are vastly greater: much more dangerous, much more expensive, and no use case outside extremely high end recreation.

And being awesomely cool with the chance to meet hot alien chicks. Don't leave that part out.

PostPosted: April 12 19, 3:59 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Space Force was... not well received by either party during a hearing yesterday:

Quote:
Manchin raises doubts about Space Force: ‘This doesn’t make any sense’

Senate Armed Services Committee’s Democrats and Republicans question officials about proposed new military branch

President Donald Trump’s plan to create a Space Force got a frosty reception at a hearing Thursday on Capitol Hill, as Republican and Democratic senators voiced skepticism.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/manch ... 2019-04-11

PostPosted: April 13 19, 6:46 am 
Hall Of Famer

tlombard wrote:
Arthur Dent wrote:

And being awesomely cool with the chance to meet hot alien chicks. Don't leave that part out.

PostPosted: August 13 19, 8:28 am 
Hall Of Famer

You've got to be [expletive] kidding me. So glad we had that blue wave in 2018.

With Congressional Blessing, Space Force Is Closer To Launch
Quote:
House and Senate lawmakers must now decide between their competing visions for the new space service. That'll happen during their conference committee meetings to hammer out a final version of the defense bill.

The House wants to install their so-called Space Corps in the coming year, while the Senate includes at least a one-year delay to stand up the new command under Trump's Space Force name.

In both versions, the new service would be modeled after the Marine Corps under the Navy, and remain under the Air Force. It would be the first new military service since the Air Force was created in 1947 under President Harry Truman.

PostPosted: August 13 19, 9:22 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

I'm not necessarily against the concept of a space-based defense group, but Space Force is just a terrible name.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next