GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 22 19, 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: June 21 18, 8:53 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Freed Roger wrote:
mikechamp wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
I think democracy in America would do much better if there were 4-5 unique party platforms to choose from, instead of every issue becoming "you're either with me or against me".

I have felt this way for a long, long time. A 3rd party would, in my opinion, bring much needed compromise on nearly everything, because nothing could get done without working with at least one of the 2 other groups.

Sure, but pragmatically, it is crucial we get viable two parties first. We do not have that now.

4-5 parties opens things up for some really bad fringe stuff and a lot of gridlock

PostPosted: June 21 18, 8:57 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Thing I want to know about guys like Schmidt - if he gets whatever he thinks is his old GOP back, does he go back and promote more people like Palin? He greased the skids there, and doesn't seem too cognizant of it.

PostPosted: June 21 18, 10:09 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

ghostrunner wrote:
Thing I want to know about guys like Schmidt - if he gets whatever he thinks is his old GOP back, does he go back and promote more people like Palin? He greased the skids there, and doesn't seem too cognizant of it.

Yep. His rant with the Daily Beast was great. But he should recognize he and Karl Roce helped create this GOP infrastructure that any candidate could appropriate. And the Iraq lies and war. Where was he?

PostPosted: June 21 18, 10:58 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Popeye_Card wrote:
I'm not sure if "reasonable" Republicans departing the party is a good thing or a bad thing. I think it would be better for the country if they stayed and fought.

I think the past few years have shown pretty clearly that this is an unwinnable battle. To the extent it could become winnable, it would only be in the context of a decisive defeat for the party.

PostPosted: June 22 18, 2:07 pm 
Perennial All-Star

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
mikechamp wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
I think democracy in America would do much better if there were 4-5 unique party platforms to choose from, instead of every issue becoming "you're either with me or against me".

I have felt this way for a long, long time. A 3rd party would, in my opinion, bring much needed compromise on nearly everything, because nothing could get done without working with at least one of the 2 other groups.

Sure, but pragmatically, it is crucial we get viable two parties first. We do not have that now.

4-5 parties opens things up for some really bad fringe stuff and a lot of gridlock

I'm not suggesting we go to 4-5 parties. I would, however, be very much in favor of 3: Democrats, Republicans and a middle ground party.

PostPosted: June 22 18, 3:46 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

The so called middle ground party, the Libertarians, have nearly all gone full Trump.

/at least the ones I encounter

PostPosted: June 22 18, 5:32 pm 
All-Star

Conservative pundit George Will:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

PostPosted: June 22 18, 5:45 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:

Damn that's a big one. George Will is a conservative juggernaut.

PostPosted: June 22 18, 8:19 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Weak effort by George Will. Real courage would be to admit he - the GOP created this monster. Not just by not checking the executive branch (the thesis of his weak oped) but by the awful platform that Ryan, The GOP has fostered for decades and Trump adopted. Admit stealing a SCOTUS pick was Constitutional negligence. Anti-LGBTQ, More tax cuts, supply side horse [expletive], deregulation, Scott Pruitt-views toward environment - these werent idiot Trump's ideas.

PostPosted: June 24 18, 5:56 am 
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

The Democratic Party is the more or less the same boring party since JFK.

The Republican Party has the backbone of "work hard, good, and be rewarded for your efforts" and "family values" but it tends to get reactionary rebranded over and over again with whatever flavor of the decade it wants. Reagannomics, Clinton-detestation, Neocon, Obama-hate, Trumpism. Trumpism is pretty rough but I'm more concerned what the Republican Party is going to roll post-Trump when they pull that lever again on the proverbial slot machine.