GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 21 19, 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: July 20 18, 7:11 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

33anda3rd wrote:
So it's not the people who live there, it's the people who find it an attractive vacation destination.

oh god

Branson's a weird animal man. It's numbers are wildly swayed for numerous reasons. [expletive], "people who live there" is subjective due to the seasonal nature of the town.

PostPosted: July 21 18, 2:58 am 
Fringe Major League Player

Branson crime rate dwarfs that of Charleston SC...
https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-citi ... n_mo/crime

as well as Hilton Head
https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-citi ... n_mo/crime

and Savannah GA also though not by as huge a margin
https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-citi ... h_ga/crime

PostPosted: July 21 18, 7:01 am 
Replies Authoritatively

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
So it's not the people who live there, it's the people who find it an attractive vacation destination.

oh god

Branson's a weird animal man. It's numbers are wildly swayed for numerous reasons. [expletive], "people who live there" is subjective due to the seasonal nature of the town.

So it's not the full time residents, it's the assortment of criminals who find it an attractive destination to spend a little time each year?

PostPosted: July 21 18, 7:26 am 

33anda3rd wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:

oh god

So it's not the full time residents, it's the assortment of criminals who find it an attractive destination to spend a little time each year?

It's so convenient to get to for all the criminals in Memphis and Dallas to make their hit and run drive by... only 6 hours drive from Memphis and 7 from Dallas.

Either that, or the Perry Como and Lawrence Welk demographic (great-grand-parents) are hooked on crack now and need to steal for their fix.

PostPosted: July 21 18, 8:28 am 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Anyone that feels safer in St. Louis city than Branson has never lived in St. Louis city.

PostPosted: July 21 18, 10:13 am 

I've lived in several cities (Columbus and Nashville) and have seen small towns that make them look very safe in comparison.

What Happens When The Heroin Epidemic Hits Small Town America?
https://www.npr.org/2017/06/29/53486801 ... wn-america

How the opioid crisis is blowing a hole in small-town America's finances
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1BU2LP

PostPosted: July 21 18, 10:47 am 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

This is a weird thread. Yes, a tiny town with a gigantic transient poor and seasonal tourist population has a high crime rate and a high drug rate. A quick drive off the main roads in Branson reveals that.

But, ICE is right. It is completely different than almost any other small town environment that I've lived in/spent time in.

PostPosted: July 22 18, 12:45 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Is there any set of statistics more manipulated and cherry picked than crime stats.?

It is not as common to see it done from the angle of the OP/thread....Seems to be Beehoyal's point of flipping it, because-we normally see the Chicago or St. Louis etc crime stats gerrymandered to make it look like the regions are one big hell zone.

Crime stats are useful tools in planning, but in the public media realm -notsomuch.

Last edited by Freed Roger on July 22 18, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 22 18, 7:20 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Isn't that the OP's point? That for all the alt-right's bellowing about Chicago being a place where we murder you just for letting your dog walk in our yard, there are places inhabited largely by the alt-right without all the black folks that have much higher crime rates per capita? Isn't the point kinda not "Branson sucks" but rather "these folks who use crime stats to portray black America and big cities as awful are misleading and dishonest"?

PostPosted: July 22 18, 10:54 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Almost like we need a domestic exchange program - for adults. Outward bound, but also an INward Bound...have people from different areas spend an informative length of time in area where they aren't as demographically familiar and a dominant majority. Lack of familiarity is what causes fear most. And easy to find media outlets and statistics to back up our prejudices and fears.

Of course this is wishful - people don't have time/$ even if they chose to do this.. Diddy - you want to take some of us in for a month?
So we draw our conclusions from driving by and the media and instances.

Anyways - we all are familiar with this scenario - I've had outter suburban co-workers that think inside of Lindbergh St. L ring is a dangerous hole.
And had people from my old smaller hometown that tell me how bad it is w/ crime in areas in St. L. .Which confuses me, because a relative of mine was killed in a crime in the old hometown a couple years ago, they have a meth and opiod problem. Some areas of the mostly white non-quaint town I would be more scared to let my teenage daughter go to than anywhere in St.L.
Property crime wise - at trailheads or sideroad in rural areas - I'm as compelled to wonder whether my vehicle will be there, or broken into when I get back as I would in Forest Park.

Last edited by Freed Roger on July 22 18, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.