GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 18 19, 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Tariff Thread
PostPosted: May 31 19, 3:46 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 10:56 pm
Posts: 5719
Location: Tacoma, WA
Kickstarter sells stuff? I thought it was a GoFundMe for entrepreneurs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tariff Thread
PostPosted: May 31 19, 5:25 pm 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 7443
Location: Chicago, IL
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
So now we're putting tariffs on ALL imports from Mexico starting at 5% and increasing to 25% in October.

Jesus H when is this dumb ass idiocy going to end? Sorry farmers, you're just gonna keep losing your largest export markets while this guy is in office. Hope you can get 'em back in 2 or 6 years! Tired of winning yet?

Not to mention this is direct taxation on American consumers NOT the mexicans. What a fooking idiot.


Not to mention his constituency. It doesn't matter. I used to think it mattered. This happened.



And like Oliver's audience in the background there, I laughed. Feelings don't trump facts, no pun intended, I thought. What a silly thing to say. Certainly people know that objective data is real. A few years later my view has changed. It doesn't matter if Trump or his supporters know that US citizens pay for tariffs, it only matters that they believe that it's punishing some non-white people who talk funny.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tariff Thread
PostPosted: May 31 19, 5:53 pm 
Offline
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Joined: April 15 06, 6:25 pm
Posts: 24838
Location: St. Louis
How can Trump get away with unilaterally raising tariffs on nations without Congress?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tariff Thread
PostPosted: June 1 19, 6:53 am 
Offline
99% conan clips
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Posts: 55245
i think maher is right on this, dems need to label/message and hashtag the tariffs as The Trump Tax. its right there for them to use.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tariff Thread
PostPosted: June 1 19, 7:18 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 10:56 pm
Posts: 5719
Location: Tacoma, WA
planet planet wrote:
How can Trump get away with unilaterally raising tariffs on nations without Congress?


Because Congress gave away that power in the Trade Expansion Act of 1962. When Trump announced in March of 2018 he was going to put steel and aluminum tariffs on Canada and Mexico using section 232 of the act, which has to do with national security, a few senators tried to introduce legislation to require Congress to approve of tariffs imposed under section 232, but it went nowhere.

https://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=op_ed&id=2190


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tariff Thread
PostPosted: June 1 19, 10:02 pm 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 24267
Location: St. Louis
Mary1966 wrote:
planet planet wrote:
How can Trump get away with unilaterally raising tariffs on nations without Congress?


Because Congress gave away that power in the Trade Expansion Act of 1962. When Trump announced in March of 2018 he was going to put steel and aluminum tariffs on Canada and Mexico using section 232 of the act, which has to do with national security, a few senators tried to introduce legislation to require Congress to approve of tariffs imposed under section 232, but it went nowhere.

https://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=op_ed&id=2190

Was wondering this same thing today. Thanks Mary.

You would think though, if they cared about raising taxes -the GOP would try something, anything to not have a king doing random taxation without their consent.

Could you fathom the hysterics if Obama was doing this. Anyone remember the "stealth tax"?

No taxation without representation. Don't Tread on Me. Har har.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tariff Thread
PostPosted: June 2 19, 6:33 am 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 7443
Location: Chicago, IL
Freed Roger wrote:
Could you fathom the hysterics if Obama was doing this. Anyone remember the "stealth tax"?


For this reason, I agree w/ Jo and w/ Maher that the Dems should start calling it the Trump Tax. It's a sales tax that people pay. Call it that, don't let him get away with this Messaging-By-Lying BS where he says "I'm placing tariffs on Mexico until they stop migration" as if
1. Mexico pays it
2. He's punishing Mexico
3. Mexico has control over migration

Also that National Security Republican guy who was on Maher on Friday was AWESOME. Highly recommend watching, even for folks who don't like Maher, who want to see what a conservative with a conscience looks like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tariff Thread
PostPosted: June 2 19, 11:21 am 
Offline
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Posts: 24267
Location: St. Louis
33anda3rd wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
Could you fathom the hysterics if Obama was doing this. Anyone remember the "stealth tax"?


For this reason, I agree w/ Jo and w/ Maher that the Dems should start calling it the Trump Tax. It's a sales tax that people pay. Call it that, don't let him get away with this Messaging-By-Lying BS where he says "I'm placing tariffs on Mexico until they stop migration" as if
1. Mexico pays it
2. He's punishing Mexico
3. Mexico has control over migration

Also that National Security Republican guy who was on Maher on Friday was AWESOME. Highly recommend watching, even for folks who don't like Maher, who want to see what a conservative with a conscience looks like.
Boston Tea party was over tariffs. Hahahahahaha


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tariff Thread
PostPosted: June 4 19, 2:11 pm 
Offline
99% conan clips
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Posts: 55245


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Tariff Thread
PostPosted: June 4 19, 2:19 pm 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 7443
Location: Chicago, IL
v cool how we are in a constant state of emergency over the wrong emergencies


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group