GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 18 19, 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Tariff Thread
PostPosted: June 4 19, 2:31 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Jocephus wrote:

Quote:
“I want you to take a message back” to the White House, Senator Ted Cruz, Republican of Texas, told the attorneys, according to people familiar with the meeting. “You didn’t hear a single yes” from the Republican conference. He called the proposed tariffs a $30 billion tax hike on Texans.

If the Democrats are too weak to refer to #theTrumpTax, the Republicans aren't!

And that is the problem with the Democratic party. They never fight for their convictions. Never.

PostPosted: June 6 19, 7:07 am 
Replies Authoritatively

I wonder if POTUS realizes his tariffs are going to hurt swing states like WI, OH and AZ a lot.

PostPosted: June 6 19, 7:36 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
How much time are companies spending trying assess and plan for this absurdity? What's the impact on financial results? How much do prices go up to cover the additional costs? Where else can we get the products/parts now coming from Mexico? How many layoffs? Certainly those will come as the percentages increase from 5 to 25.

What a colossal cluster [expletive].

PostPosted: June 6 19, 9:31 am 
Everday Unicorn

Radbird wrote:
How much time are companies spending trying assess and plan for this absurdity? What's the impact on financial results? How much do prices go up to cover the additional costs? Where else can we get the products/parts now coming from Mexico? How many layoffs? Certainly those will come as the percentages increase from 5 to 25.

What a colossal cluster [expletive].

These are all great questions that a competent administration would address with some level of candor and study.

We don't have that.

Btw, guess what happens to the glut of Mexican factory labor if Trump's tariffs cause their employers to move production to Asia.

PostPosted: June 7 19, 5:00 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Auto companies are going to go nuts. They get parts from Mexico, build a transmission in US, then ship the transmission to Mexico to build the finished car, then ship the finished car back to the US. Tariffs on Mexico are going to ding them twice.

PostPosted: June 7 19, 8:39 pm 
All Hail the New GDT Master

Apparently the tariffs are not happened because a deal was reached. Seems convenient but what the heck.

PostPosted: June 7 19, 9:41 pm 
Perennial All-Star

When the statement from the State Department was read on the air on MSNBC, one of the guests laughed and said the two concessions listed (Mexico keeping asylum seekers on their side of the border and putting their National Guard on their border with Guatemala) are both bogus: international law prohibits keeping asylum seekers in another country and the Mexican National Guard is basically incapable of stopping the flow of migrants from the south.

PostPosted: June 8 19, 6:07 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.

PostPosted: June 10 19, 9:06 am 
Hall Of Famer

Radbird wrote:

Don't accept the premise on this one. I think all of these people have a different definition of crisis. It does seem true that Democrats have failed to address some of the genuine challenges with the border, and it's too bad that positive solutions are mostly not part of the critique against Trump.

Beto and Castro have the only real plans to deal with this, from what I can tell.

PostPosted: June 10 19, 9:54 am 
Replies Authoritatively

One big difference between Obama and Trump is that Obama did not politicize the border in such brutally ugly racial tones. Obama signed a half-billion dollar border security deal in his first couple years in office, arrests at the border went up, net immigration turned negative, and he was able to accomplish that without painting a picture of non-white people south of our border as criminals.

This is why that tweet is so damn sinister, it draws false equivalencies between all our Presidents, then has the audacity to pretend Trump thinks and feels the same as the rest and is the only one with a solution. "We have a border crisis!" as universal POV for all these POTUSes is not a reasonable representation. It's more like:

Obama: "We have a challenge at the border, I've talked it over with a lot of people, heard everyone's position and ideas, here's a plan we think works."

Trump: "WE HAVE A BORDER CRISIS THE BROWN PEOPLE WANT TO TAKE YOUR JOBS AND RAPE YOUR WIFE AND KILL YOUR CHILDREN AND THEY DON'T EVEN TALK LIKE US MAGA MAGA MAGA!!!!!!!!!! WE NEED A WALL!!!!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next