GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 18 19, 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: The Tariff Thread
PostPosted: September 12 19, 9:16 am 
Hall Of Famer

greenback44 wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
And in general, short term thinking seems to be our problem. They touch on it a bit in the video - China has long term plans for what they will be doing 10, 20 and 50 years from now, and they guide their entire economy towards those goals. In America if a company misses their profit projection for the quarter, it's time to cut costs, lay off people, etc. There is no long term goal anymore at all. Short term profits are all that matter.

That sounds simplistic. As an example, the most obvious long term problem -- or alternatively the the most obvious example of lousy short term thinking -- facing the human species is climate change. Guess which country leads the world in coal consumption, and guess which country is still building lots of coal-fired power stations, both inside and outside its borders. It has become clear that regulating carbon emissions in the US has much less significance for saving the planet than building energy technology that can be shared with China.

Also, don't get me started on the nonsense surrounding companies like Uber, which may never turn a profit, but has heaps of capital thrown at it anyway. All in the name of long term thinking.

This is a valid point. Here is the thing: while China is building coal power plants, they are also investing very heavily in solar and electric cars and other green technologies. The reason they are investing in those is because they understand those are the future, and also because they see those as things they can beat us in! If we had started pouring money into these technologies and transforming our infrastructure when Al Gore sounded the alarms 20 years ago, there would be no way China could keep up with us. We would have both a massive advantage in technology, and our country would already be far down the road of turning away from carbon. Since we are decidedly NOT doing that, there is not as much pressure on China to invest or accelerate their green programs. They can look at their progress and say, yep, pollution is bad but we're still on track to overtake the USA in these industries within 25 years (or whatever it may be).

PostPosted: September 12 19, 9:29 am 
Hall Of Famer

Arthur Dent wrote:
That Frontline is great for the insight into Chinese official perspectives, though it left me wondering how many stupid reporters are writing White House insider stories based on Bannon’s obvious BS.

Favorite line (23:30): Wang Shouwen Vice Minister of Commerce looks to camera:
We do not have the secret strategy to replace the United States as the global superpower.

My favorite line was at 28:40 when the CEO of that electric car company was asked "Do you think that Americans should be worried?" and he kind of laughs and says "Oh yes. (haha) Yes, I think so."

PostPosted: September 16 19, 6:54 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
Recession Already Grips Corners of U.S., Menacing Trump’s 2020 Bid

PostPosted: September 20 19, 12:12 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Trump's bailout to farmers has reached 28 billion dollars, more than double the size of the Obama admin's bailout of the Detroit auto companies, with no end in sight. And the auto companies paid that back, by the way, which the farmers do not have to do, nor should they because it's not their fault Trump blew up their export markets.

Republican administrations suck at the economy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16