GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 22 19, 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Tariff Thread
PostPosted: October 10 18, 11:18 am 
Hall Of Famer

Diddy wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
More winning

Ford Prepares for Mass Layoffs After Losing $1 Billion to Trump's Trade Tariffs, Report Says
Quote:
Jim Hackett, Ford’s CEO, is working to engineer a $25.5 billion restructuring of the automaker, hoping to cut costs and remain competitive, the Wall Street Journal reports. But auto sales are down, and one reason is the trade tariffs that Trump has imposed on metals and other goods. According to Bloomberg, Hackett has said they have already cost the company $1 billion in profit and could do “more damage” if the disputes aren’t resolved quickly.

Ford, the No. 2 U.S. automaker by sales, is making aggressive job cuts as part of that reorganization, NBC News reported. While the company hasn’t said how many jobs will be lost, a report from Morgan Stanley estimates “a global headcount reduction of approximately 12 percent,” or 24,000 of Ford’s 202,000 workers worldwide.”

While reports have indicated that the job cuts are likely to come early next year, The Kansas City Star reported Tuesday that Ford has temporarily halted production of transit vans in Claycomo, Mo. The move is intended to build up Ford’s inventories of the vans, but it will leave 2,000 workers idle between Oct. 22 and Nov. 4.

How much profit are they making if they lose one billion in profit in months?

Are you saying they are so profitable that they can afford to take a hit if it benefits the rest of us? I agree but tariffs aren't a good way to do that.

PostPosted: October 10 18, 11:25 am 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

The irony is a lot of those Ford workers voted for Trump. I wish they weren't getting laid off but maybe they will see their mistake.

PostPosted: October 10 18, 11:28 am 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Diddy wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
As aid checks go out, farmers worry bailout won't be enough
Quote:
Farmers across the United States will soon begin receiving government checks as part of a billion-dollar bailout to buoy growers experiencing financial strain from President Donald Trump's trade disputes with China.

But even those poised for big payouts worry it won't be enough. And while support for Trump is near unwavering in the heartland, some growers say that with the November election nearing, such disappointing aid outcomes could potentially affect their vote.

"It's pretty obvious that the rural agriculture communities helped elect this administration, but the way things are going I believe farmers are going to have to vote with their checkbook when it comes time," said Kevin Skunes, a corn and soybean grower from Arthur, North Dakota and president of the National Corn Growers Association.

Corn farmers get the smallest slice of the aid pie. Corn groups estimate a loss of 44 cents per bushel, but they're poised to receive just a single penny per bushel.

President of the National Corn Growers Association? Sounds like a pretty well-organized group to me

Don't worry, they'll get more subsidies

We definitely have plenty of lobbies. NCGA, Farm Beureu, Soybean Board, and numerous cattle and pork groups.

Do you feel like they speak for you? I feel like they support cooperations and corporate farming more then individual farmers

Sorry Diddy I missed this question. I absolutely do not believe they speak for me. Particularly the farm beaureu which I canceled my membership to after they spent all of 2016 sucking trumps dick.

PostPosted: October 10 18, 12:12 pm 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

Looks like Ford made about 8 billion last year before taxes on roughly 150 billion in sales. Net income after taxes was somewhere around 7 billion.

So, they roughly made 0.6 billion per month in 2017.

PostPosted: October 10 18, 3:01 pm 
Perennial All-Star

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Looks like Ford made about 8 billion last year before taxes on roughly 150 billion in sales. Net income after taxes was somewhere around 7 billion.

So, they roughly made 0.6 billion per month in 2017.

So they are making a return of 4.6% on their investment that doesn’t sound obscene. 7 billion does it’s crazy the amount of business some of these large companies do. I’d genuinely like to see where Bezos mamazon money comes from, obscene profit margin or lots of small profits. I think profit margin is important to remember in conjunction with obscene wealth.

PostPosted: October 10 18, 3:09 pm 
Hall Of Famer

I think it's important to remember that whatever profit margins are, people whose income comes entirely from investments and not wages are the real freeloaders.

Amazon broke capitalism. And Uber and Tesla and others have used the same approach. Meaning: Amazon lost money for YEARS. For like a decade. But investors kept throwing money into them. That's not how it's supposed to work, right? Smart investors are not supposed to keep throwing money into money-losing ventures, over and over again. The only reason this works is because they are gambling that Amazon, or Uber, will get big enough to become a monopoly, and then they can have full control over prices and basically print money. They are also gambling that government will never break up any of these monopolies.

PostPosted: October 10 18, 3:15 pm 
Hall Of Famer

IMADreamer wrote:
Diddy wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
As aid checks go out, farmers worry bailout won't be enough
Quote:
Farmers across the United States will soon begin receiving government checks as part of a billion-dollar bailout to buoy growers experiencing financial strain from President Donald Trump's trade disputes with China.

But even those poised for big payouts worry it won't be enough. And while support for Trump is near unwavering in the heartland, some growers say that with the November election nearing, such disappointing aid outcomes could potentially affect their vote.

"It's pretty obvious that the rural agriculture communities helped elect this administration, but the way things are going I believe farmers are going to have to vote with their checkbook when it comes time," said Kevin Skunes, a corn and soybean grower from Arthur, North Dakota and president of the National Corn Growers Association.

Corn farmers get the smallest slice of the aid pie. Corn groups estimate a loss of 44 cents per bushel, but they're poised to receive just a single penny per bushel.

President of the National Corn Growers Association? Sounds like a pretty well-organized group to me

Don't worry, they'll get more subsidies

We definitely have plenty of lobbies. NCGA, Farm Beureu, Soybean Board, and numerous cattle and pork groups.

Do you feel like they speak for you? I feel like they support cooperations and corporate farming more then individual farmers

Sorry Diddy I missed this question. I absolutely do not believe they speak for me. Particularly the farm beaureu which I canceled my membership to after they spent all of 2016 sucking trumps dick.

I agree that most of these groups from the ag lobby do represent corporate farms and not small farms. But like every other political issue, money distorts everything. These groups have the most money, and they just buy influence. And I also don't see much of a backlash from small farmers against this trend - meaning, most small farmers voted the same way as big farming operations. Because like lots of other kinds of voters, farmers voted for other reasons than economic reasons. They believed they would be OK, if not better, economically with Republicans in charge. We'll see if they were right.

PostPosted: October 10 18, 4:11 pm 
Perennial All-Star

pioneer98 wrote:
I think it's important to remember that whatever profit margins are, people whose income comes entirely from investments and not wages are the real freeloaders.

Amazon broke capitalism. And Uber and Tesla and others have used the same approach. Meaning: Amazon lost money for YEARS. For like a decade. But investors kept throwing money into them. That's not how it's supposed to work, right? Smart investors are not supposed to keep throwing money into money-losing ventures, over and over again. The only reason this works is because they are gambling that Amazon, or Uber, will get big enough to become a monopoly, and then they can have full control over prices and basically print money. They are also gambling that government will never break up any of these monopolies.

It’s probably not a popular opinion but stock market returns are driving our country into the ground.

PostPosted: October 10 18, 4:45 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Diddy wrote:
It’s probably not a popular opinion but stock market returns are driving our country into the ground.

+ once again it is getting to be about the short term. Once the recent tax cuts & dereg become the normal blood flow, what gimmicks do they have next?

GOP/ Trump like playing king and picking the winners and losers. Guess who the losers will ultimately be?

PostPosted: October 10 18, 4:47 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

Diddy wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

You’re not wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next