GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 20 19, 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Tariff Thread
PostPosted: October 10 18, 4:55 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Freed Roger wrote:
Diddy wrote:
It’s probably not a popular opinion but stock market returns are driving our country into the ground.

+ once again it is getting to be about the short term. Once the recent tax cuts & dereg become the normal blood flow, what gimmicks do they have next?

GOP/ Trump like playing king and picking the winners and losers. Guess who the losers will ultimately be?

My mommy told me I’m a winner

PostPosted: October 24 18, 2:31 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

In which Trump claims that his tariffs don't really exist. Also, Trump's Obama penis envy even extends to interest rates.

Trump Steps Up Attacks on Fed Chairman Jerome Powell

But the tariff comments:
Quote:
Mr. Trump said he views tariffs, which have been a centerpiece of his “America First” economic and trade agenda in his first two years in office, as a negotiating tactic and vastly understated the size of the tariff regime put in place by his administration.

“We don’t even have tariffs. I’m using tariffs to negotiate,” the president said, describing the tariffs on steel and aluminum he imposed this year as “small.”

The U.S. this year imposed tariffs on steel, aluminum, washers and solar panels, as well as tariffs on an additional $250 billion of Chinese imports. Some businesses have supported the tariffs, but many have said they hurt their profits and could lead to higher prices for customers.

“Where do we have tariffs? We don’t have tariffs anywhere,” Mr. Trump said when asked about the risks tariffs pose to the economy. “You know what happens? A business that’s doing badly always likes to blame Trump and the tariffs, because it’s a good excuse for some incompetent guy that’s making $25 million a year.”

He said the threat of tariffs had helped his administration renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement as well as begin talks for a trade deal with the European Union. “I could never have done it without tariffs,” he said of the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement, the revised Nafta deal that the three nations reached earlier this month, but which requires approval from Congress.

“I’m talking tariffs, I’ll use tariffs,” he said. “I mean it.”

Constant stream of consciousness nonsense. Is it too much to ask the the president have a foothold in reality?

PostPosted: November 5 18, 10:14 am 
Hall Of Famer

Their Soybeans Piling Up, Farmers Hope Trade War Ends Before Beans Rot

Quote:
ARTHUR, N.D. — This is harvest season in the rich farmlands of the eastern Dakotas, the time of year Kevin Karel checks his computer first thing in the morning to see how many of his soybeans Chinese companies have purchased while he was sleeping.

Farmers here in Cass County have prospered over the last two decades by growing more soybeans than any other county in the United States, and by shipping most of those beans across the Pacific Ocean to feed Chinese pigs and chickens.

But this year, the Chinese have all but stopped buying. The largest market for one of America’s largest exports has shut its doors. The Chinese government imposed a tariff on American soybeans in response to the Trump administration’s tariffs on Chinese goods. The latest federal data, through mid-October, shows American soybean sales to China have declined by 94 percent from last year’s harvest.

Mr. Karel, the general manager of the Arthur Companies, which operates six grain elevators in eastern North Dakota, has started to pile one million bushels of soybeans on a clear patch of ground behind some of his grain silos. The big mound of yellowish-white beans, already one of the taller hills in this flat part of the world, will then be covered with tarps.

The hope is that prices will rise before the beans rot.

“We’re sitting on the edge of our seat,” Mr. Karel said.

PostPosted: November 28 18, 7:00 am 
Hall Of Famer

Thousands moved out for a new GM factory; now it's closing
Quote:
The Detroit-Hamtramck plant stands on 465 acres of land that was once a neighborhood known as “Poletown.”

In 1981, the Michigan Supreme Court approved a decision to allow Detroit to tear down up to 1,500 homes, more than 140 businesses, a hospital and six churches to build the $500 million plant. The Detroit News reported 4,200 people lost their homes as a result.

GM convinced officials in the cities of Detroit and Hamtramck, the state of Michigan - and ultimately the state’s highest court - to use eminent domain, a controversial process in which government seizes private land.

Karen Majewski, the mayor of Hamtramck, told Reuters that the GM plant is one of the largest contributors to local property taxes. Empty, she worried the factory will discourage other investments.

“They destroyed homes and churches and local businesses, all to build that plant,” Majewski said. “Now that the plant is going to close, people will wonder why that neighborhood had to be sacrificed in the first place.”

PostPosted: November 28 18, 7:05 am 
Hall Of Famer

Ford Prepares for Mass Layoffs After Losing $1 Billion to Trump's Trade Tariffs, Report Says
Quote:
Ford is having a bad year in 2018. Its stock is down 29%, and the tariffs imposed by President Trump have reportedly cost the company $1 billion, as the company is in the midst of a reorganization. Now, the company is announcing layoffs.

Jim Hackett, Ford’s CEO, is working to engineer a $25.5 billion restructuring of the automaker, hoping to cut costs and remain competitive, the Wall Street Journal reports. But auto sales are down, and one reason is the trade tariffs that Trump has imposed on metals and other goods. According to Bloomberg, Hackett has said they have already cost the company $1 billion in profit and could do “more damage” if the disputes aren’t resolved quickly.

Ford, the No. 2 U.S. automaker by sales, is making aggressive job cuts as part of that reorganization, NBC News reported. While the company hasn’t said how many jobs will be lost, a report from Morgan Stanley estimates “a global headcount reduction of approximately 12 percent,” or 24,000 of Ford’s 202,000 workers worldwide.”

PostPosted: November 28 18, 9:23 am 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

pioneer98 wrote:

Quote:
ARTHUR, N.D. — This is harvest season in the rich farmlands of the eastern Dakotas, the time of year Kevin Karel checks his computer first thing in the morning to see how many of his soybeans Chinese companies have purchased while he was sleeping.

Farmers here in Cass County have prospered over the last two decades by growing more soybeans than any other county in the United States, and by shipping most of those beans across the Pacific Ocean to feed Chinese pigs and chickens.

But this year, the Chinese have all but stopped buying. The largest market for one of America’s largest exports has shut its doors. The Chinese government imposed a tariff on American soybeans in response to the Trump administration’s tariffs on Chinese goods. The latest federal data, through mid-October, shows American soybean sales to China have declined by 94 percent from last year’s harvest.

Mr. Karel, the general manager of the Arthur Companies, which operates six grain elevators in eastern North Dakota, has started to pile one million bushels of soybeans on a clear patch of ground behind some of his grain silos. The big mound of yellowish-white beans, already one of the taller hills in this flat part of the world, will then be covered with tarps.

There is an unbelievable amount of soybeans in the fields still around here. I guess the guys that don't have on farm storage are just leaving it in the field. Usually by now there would be just a small handful of fields left that are usually the hobby farmers who have other full time jobs. I bet between my house and the farm, which is about 30 miles, I'd bet there is 10k acres still in the fields.

PostPosted: November 28 18, 9:23 am 
Everday Unicorn

Maybe all those CEOs and corporate boards should think about their support of Trump because he would net them yuge tax cuts. If they don't care about the flagrant corruption and human rights abuses, perhaps the isolationist trade policies that are costing them their business will open their eyes.

PostPosted: November 28 18, 9:26 am 
99% conan clips

time for tofu to take over the country!

PostPosted: November 28 18, 10:17 am 
Hall Of Famer

IMADreamer wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

Quote:

There is an unbelievable amount of soybeans in the fields still around here. I guess the guys that don't have on farm storage are just leaving it in the field. Usually by now there would be just a small handful of fields left that are usually the hobby farmers who have other full time jobs. I bet between my house and the farm, which is about 30 miles, I'd bet there is 10k acres still in the fields.

When I was driving in Northern IL over Thanksgiving, I was surprised to still see some corn in the fields too. Never seen that this late. Then we got a foot of snow.

PostPosted: November 28 18, 10:26 am 
Hall Of Famer

heyzeus wrote:
Maybe all those CEOs and corporate boards should think about their support of Trump because he would net them yuge tax cuts. If they don't care about the flagrant corruption and human rights abuses, perhaps the isolationist trade policies that are costing them their business will open their eyes.

File under "Getting what they wanted and not liking it."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next