GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 22 19, 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Tariff Thread
PostPosted: November 28 18, 10:43 am 
Hall Of Famer

Trump threatens to cut subsidies for GM

The threat was delivered via tweet, so....

PostPosted: November 28 18, 10:45 am 
99% conan clips

the toddler in chief was also re-tweeting memes this morning. if you voted for him, [expletive] you.

PostPosted: November 28 18, 10:54 am 
Hall Of Famer

I always thought that most foreign car companies already had factories in America. There is a Nissan plant in Kansas, and BMW and Hyundai plants in the South, and so on. I thought the number of cars that are literally brought over on a boat were pretty small in number. Am I wrong?

PostPosted: November 28 18, 11:12 am 
Perennial All-Star

pioneer98 wrote:
I always thought that most foreign car companies already had factories in America. There is a Nissan plant in Kansas, and BMW and Hyundai plants in the South, and so on. I thought the number of cars that are literally brought over on a boat were pretty small in number. Am I wrong?

VW has a plant in Tennessee

PostPosted: November 28 18, 11:44 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Looked it up, my Subaru was made in Japan. It definitely doesn't suck.
The long ride over probably added to the cost, but the deal still worked for me - ala capitalism & consumerism.
Subaru does have a plant in Indiana.

Subaru was 8th for mfg car sales in US in 2017 - with over 5% increase.

I wouldn't be surprised if Team GOPTRUMP targets Subaru based on their customer demographic. Sounds ridiculous, that economic policy decisions would be based on political vendettas -but that is the way it goes in US under fascist-minority GOP toddler rule.

PostPosted: November 28 18, 9:46 pm 
Hall Of Famer

US farms are going bankrupt at an alarming rate. Trump’s trade war is partially to blame.
Quote:
Farms that produce corn, soybeans, milk, and beef were suffering due to low global demand and low prices, according to economists, and Trump’s trade war is making the problem even worse. China has slapped billions of dollars worth of tariffs on US agriculture exports in response to Trump’s tariffs on Chinese products. Other countries, including Canada, have also added duties to US agriculture products in response to Trump’s tariffs on all imported steel and aluminum.

The problem has gotten so bad that the Trump administration launched a $12 billion aid package for US farmers coping with retaliatory tariffs that foreign countries have imposed on their products. In September, the government cut $25 million worth of bailout checks to the agriculture industry.

But even the bailout may not be enough to keep farms open. Bankers in the Midwest are worried that too many farmers are falling behind on loan payments.

“We’re just waiting for a turnaround,” one Minnesota banker told the Star Tribune. “We’re waiting for the tariff problem to go away.”

It doesn’t seem like the Trump administration is going to let that happen anytime soon.

PostPosted: November 29 18, 10:28 am 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

I'm sure this is true, and it again explains the GOP fealty to Trump in spite of everything. The corporate class who owns the party know he will sign whatever pro-oligarch piece of paper they put in front of him.

PostPosted: November 30 18, 3:47 pm 
Perennial All-Star

pioneer98 wrote:
US farms are going bankrupt at an alarming rate. Trump’s trade war is partially to blame.
Quote:
Farms that produce corn, soybeans, milk, and beef were suffering due to low global demand and low prices, according to economists, and Trump’s trade war is making the problem even worse. China has slapped billions of dollars worth of tariffs on US agriculture exports in response to Trump’s tariffs on Chinese products. Other countries, including Canada, have also added duties to US agriculture products in response to Trump’s tariffs on all imported steel and aluminum.

The problem has gotten so bad that the Trump administration launched a $12 billion aid package for US farmers coping with retaliatory tariffs that foreign countries have imposed on their products. In September, the government cut $25 million worth of bailout checks to the agriculture industry.

But even the bailout may not be enough to keep farms open. Bankers in the Midwest are worried that too many farmers are falling behind on loan payments.

“We’re just waiting for a turnaround,” one Minnesota banker told the Star Tribune. “We’re waiting for the tariff problem to go away.”

It doesn’t seem like the Trump administration is going to let that happen anytime soon.

Let’s be real here. Years of bad decisions is what put farmers in the position they are in. The trump tariffs hurt really bad but if your going bankrupt because of them you were well on your way without them.

PostPosted: December 10 18, 1:34 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation for why our govt. is putting tariffs on aluminum from Canada, but actively tries to find ways to not put tariffs on Russian aluminum.

PostPosted: December 10 18, 2:47 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

Diddy wrote:

Let’s be real here. Years of bad decisions is what put farmers in the position they are in. The trump tariffs hurt really bad but if your going bankrupt because of them you were well on your way without them.

You know farming way, waaaaaaaaay more than I do, but it occurs to me that the shrinking middle class created by wealth distribution disparity already has a very difficult time building savings regardless of what industry they are in. Tie in the massive liabilities that farmers carry inherent to the field (paying for equipment, seed, etc with no guarantee of a return 9 months later) and it seems that family farms would be particularly susceptible to unexpected setbacks and loss of income inherent to Trump's trade policy. If you can't save enough money to float through short to medium term setbacks and loss of income, you're not going to be able to survive the whims of a trade war.

Am I way off?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next