GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently September 23 19, 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Nancy Pelosi
PostPosted: November 7 18, 8:21 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

I'll be honest. I don't know a heck of a lot about Nancy Pelosi, other than being a generally disliked figure. She has a lower approval ratings than Trump. She's also held the highest political office for a woman in American history.

Is she simply a prime example of the problems the Democratic party have? Conservatives are united in hating her, and she doesn't have enough progressive bona fides or whatever for all Democrats to like her.

Is there unconscious bias involved because she's a woman?

Should she resume her position as Speaker, or is it time for someone new?

Post subject: Re: Nancy Pelosi
PostPosted: November 7 18, 8:27 am 
All-Star

I think pivoting away from establishment Pelosi is a gamble worth taking. Getting the right person who can foil Trump (rather than be such an easy punching bag) could push the left over the top in 2020. It could also backfire. But you said it, she’s hated.

PostPosted: November 7 18, 8:42 am 
Hall Of Famer

MAGA wrote:
I think pivoting away from establishment Pelosi is a gamble worth taking. Getting the right person who can foil Trump (rather than be such an easy punching bag) could push the left over the top in 2020. It could also backfire. But you said it, she’s hated.

I agree. I'd like to see these old farts in the Democratic leadership take graceful exits ansd leave it to younger. more appealing reps.

PostPosted: November 7 18, 8:52 am 
Hall Of Famer

1. It doesn’t matter who the Democratic leaders are, if they’re in place long enough the GOP will make them a bogeyman. Harry Reid was pretty disliked too. There’s always going to be someone. Pelosi’s the biggest, most long standing name in a leadership position. The GOP still runs against Hillary. I’m skeptical the average GOP voter knows anything about Pelosi other than Pelosi=bad, thanks to GOP ads making that association. What’s a thing that Pelosi specifically has advocated that Republicans oppose that makes her unique? I can’t think of anything.

2. Saw it pointed out that Schumer lost seats and Pelosi gained some, yet there’s not as much talk about replacing Schumer.

3. Schumer should be replaced. Pelosi probably should too, but I’ve heard that she’s an effective speaker.

PostPosted: November 7 18, 9:04 am 
Replies Authoritatively

ghostrunner wrote:
What’s a thing that Pelosi specifically has advocated that Republicans oppose that makes her unique? I can’t think of anything.

I can list a bunch of things she's done, many of which (ACA, auto industry bailout, economic stimulus/recovery act, raising minimum wage) should resonate in a positive way with the rust belt Trump voter, but do not. She's a woman, she's from San Francisco, she's a liberal and that's all the rust belt Trump voter needs to hate her.

PostPosted: November 7 18, 9:45 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Trumpsters GOP constantly using/demonizing her isn't reason enough for Dems to blindly rally in her support. Time for her to move on. Dems taking back the house was not a referendum on her behalf.

Mentioned potentials to replace or be 2nd behind Pelosi are Hoyer and Clyburn. All three are 78-79 years old, and have collectively been in the house for decades. In other times this experience would be useful as leader. But for the newfound and lone foothold in federal govt, that doesn't seem to be the face the dems should put out there.

And I just saw tweet now that Orange Tub O' Goo is complimenting her. Yeah, she should step aside, but doubt that she will.

PostPosted: November 7 18, 10:02 am 
Hall Of Famer

Who should replace her?

PostPosted: November 7 18, 10:15 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Arthur Dent wrote:
Who should replace her?

I'd like to know too. Seth Moulton (MA) has the fetishized military background.

If anything, make the GOP-PACS and state propaganda arm change their voiceover from "Nancy Pelosi and the liberal Calfiornia democrats!!".

Cost them some $. Maybe the most linquistically difficult pronounciation... Raja Krishnamoorthi (IL) woud be fun.

PostPosted: November 7 18, 10:19 am 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Arthur Dent wrote:
Who should replace her?

Beto O'Rourke is currently available.

PostPosted: November 7 18, 10:20 am 
MLB.TV Customer Support

I posed this question to friends and Zeus last night.

I think it's the position; why are is the speaker so frequently disliked, even within their party? Why are they so well-known compared to their senate counter part?

Paul Ryan and Boehner were run out congress by the GOP. Pelosi is disregarded. Everyone wants to forget about Hastert. I get the sense that Gringrich is about as well regarded as Ted Cruz.

I think it's the position not just Pelosi.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next