GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 18 19, 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: July 25 18, 7:44 am 
has a link from 538 to share

Although Trump wasn't the architect of the GOP tax plan and generally I think it's bad policy, but I do think de-emphasizing deductions like mortgage interest is a good thing. I agree with Rubio that the child tax deductions are worth keeping for population growth reasons.

PostPosted: July 25 18, 8:19 am 
tl;dr

Michael wrote:
Although Trump wasn't the architect of the GOP tax plan and generally I think it's bad policy, but I do think de-emphasizing deductions like mortgage interest is a good thing. I agree with Rubio that the child tax deductions are worth keeping for population growth reasons.

/Sarcasm We need more people to grow the country... but don't let any of those brown people in. /Sarcasm

PostPosted: July 25 18, 11:02 am 
Hall Of Famer

BeeHoyal wrote:
Trump has done nothing about the opioid crisis...
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... demic-2017

It doesn't surprise me. I did just read a different article about this below. Like I said, the actual fighting of the opioid epidemic may and up being a failure. But at least Trump didn't pretend the crisis didn't exist, like Reagan did with AIDS.

This article argues we are treating all opioid users like addicts. It's a nuanced issue, which is why Trump and Republicans will fail at fighting it. But one of the key things is that there is a difference between being "physically dependent" on opioids versus being "addicted". People with chronic pain who were able to lead relatively normal lives on opioids (and unable to lead normal lives without them) are "physically dependent". People who do not have chronic pain but have a mental dependence on them to the point it messes up their life are addicts. To try to combat the latter group, current drug policy appears to be harming the former group.

The Pain Refugees

PostPosted: July 25 18, 12:06 pm 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

I’m not sure how much credit to give him vs. Obama, but the ISIS situation has improved.

He reversed Obama’s interuption on DAPL, which I believe was the right thing to do on a legal basis.

His administration has held up some proposed regulation in my line of work that was flat-out illogical and terrible. On the flip side, now they can’t decide what to enact because of the stupid “for every new regulation you must remove two” rule that makes no sense.

PostPosted: July 25 18, 12:33 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.
The good will come after he is gone when the ashes of the GOP will hopefully rise into a better brand of conservatism.

PostPosted: July 25 18, 12:53 pm 
MLB.TV Customer Support

Radbird wrote:
The good will come after he is gone when the ashes of the GOP will hopefully rise into a better brand of conservatism.

Neo-Liberalism?

PostPosted: July 25 18, 1:31 pm 
Consider him admonished

vinsanity wrote:
Radbird wrote:

Neo-Liberalism?

We’re waiting... heh heh

PostPosted: July 25 18, 1:37 pm 
bronoun enthusiast

Totally non-confrontational/non-trolling question:

What would be the main tenants of a good brand of conservatism?

PostPosted: July 25 18, 2:43 pm 
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

I'd just like to note that at this point that, collectively, we have been able to list only about 3 or 4 concrete things we consider "good" out of this administration.

So much winning.

PostPosted: July 25 18, 2:43 pm 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

thrill wrote:
Totally non-confrontational/non-trolling question:

What would be the main tenants of a good brand of conservatism?

Hmm. I could consider supporting a conservative with many of the following traits:

* Pro-life, but seeks ways to limit abortions through programs, education, etc. rather than blocking access (or overturning Roe v. Wade).
* Supporter of regulation reform, not regulation repeal.
* Actual fiscal conservative - balanced budgets, limit spending, etc. But willing to cut defense spending, recognizing that's the biggest slice of the pie.
* Strict interpretation of the constitution. But like the actual constitution, not what many conservatives believe it to be. This includes the 2nd amendment.
* Drop most of the socially conservative views.
* Acknowledge that climate change is real.

Basically an improved version of Kasich (who still scores poorly on abortion rights, military hawk, etc.).