GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently January 17 20, 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Saudi Arabia
PostPosted: October 11 18, 2:51 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

McMahon has a conflict of interest a cabinet member btw. (via his wife. ). As if business ethics apply anymore.

And. Journalist vs strongman govt. no doubter who Orange supports.

PostPosted: October 11 18, 2:53 pm 
99% conan clips

Freed Roger wrote:
McMahon has a conflict of interest a cabinet member btw. (via his wife. ). As if business ethics apply anymore.

the mcmahon/trump love is so weird and a "just, of course" moment in our current situations

Quote:
And. Journalist vs strongman govt. no doubter who Orange supports.

yep

PostPosted: October 11 18, 3:25 pm 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: October 11 18, 9:14 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Jocephus wrote:
Quote:
WWE Taking Tens Of Millions In Saudi Money Sure Looks Awful

https://deadspin.com/wwe-taking-tens-of ... 1829687956

This is one of the weirdest things ever. This is like something that would be on The Simpsons, but this is real life.

PostPosted: October 11 18, 9:18 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Jocephus wrote:

The rest of his explanation is also telling, saying that the Saudis have "$110 billion" that they would take elsewhere if we sanctioned them or whatever. Besides Vince McMahon, where else are the Saudis spending this money? On bombs I guess.

PostPosted: October 11 18, 10:01 pm 

pioneer98 wrote:
Jocephus wrote:

The rest of his explanation is also telling, saying that the Saudis have "$110 billion" that they would take elsewhere if we sanctioned them or whatever. Besides Vince McMahon, where else are the Saudis spending this money? On bombs I guess.

Prior administrations also turned a blind eye to Saudi ..what should we call them? -transgressions - be it humans right abuses, roll in terrorism etc. Most notably Bushes and their oil dreams.

Not that the oil dependency approaches of prior presidents were right, there was some truth to that dependency and lack of leverage against the Saudis. Now the US probably has more leverage against Saudis than before, but we have a POTUS that likes strongmen patriarchal govt, and a POTUS that probably owes a favor to someone like the McMahons or large investor -donors.

PostPosted: October 12 18, 8:28 am 
Hall Of Famer

I knew nothing about this WWE/Saudi Arabia thing. The WWE evidently signed a 10 year deal with Saudi Arabia. I used to like WWE back in the day and it can be entertaining, but I would never in a million years use it as a bar to measure a nation's progress. But they are trying to use these events to say "See, we're progressive"

Evidently the event had some glitches.

https://deadspin.com/wwe-s-saudi-arabia ... 1825688090
Quote:
Since this was an event in Saudi Arabia, women wrestlers didn’t appear on the card. Women fans were only allowed to attend with a male guardian.
Several women’s wrestlers commented on the exclusion. “One day,” Sasha Banks tweeted. Becky Lynch posted a photo of herself in the gym while the event ran with the caption “working and watching.” One of the announcers, Corey Graves, posted a photo of a shot and a beer with this caption: “A drink to remember that no matter how bad WE think we have it, at least our women have rights and we all have freedom of expression.” Incidentally, PWInsider is reporting WWE’s female wrestlers will be paid as if they actually worked the event.

The bad press produced by the event doesn’t end there. Saudi Arabia has had to apologize because clips of women wrestlers were shown in a video package in the arena. The country’s General Sports Authority said it was sorry for “the scenes of indecent women that featured in an ad before one of the matches.” The Saudi government promised to be vigilant in preventing people from seeing women wrestlers again.
Quote:
Also apologizing is Ariya Daivari, an Iranian-American wrestler who works in WWE’s cruiserweight division. Early in the show, Daivari appeared in a skit where he waved the Iranian flag before being dispatched by a gaggle of Saudi wrestlers.

Daivari said he received death threats for the skit. “During an appearance this past Friday, I portrayed a fictional character and played the role of the antagonist, no different than what other actors would do in a movie or TV show,” he wrote in a statement released on Twitter. “That character does not reflect my personal views and I apologize to anyone that may have been offended by the skit. I have an incredible amount of respect for the great people of Iran and I am very proud of my Iranian heritage.”

PostPosted: October 12 18, 8:50 am 
99% conan clips

Quote:
Turks tell U.S. officials they have audio and video recordings that support conclusion Khashoggi was killed

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... story.html

PostPosted: October 12 18, 8:56 am 
MLB.TV Customer Support

pioneer98 wrote:
But they are trying to use these events to say "See, we're progressive"

As Khashoggi incident shows, it's not about appearing progressive. For WWE it's about expanding in to new markets for more eyeballs.

Good thing we're being tough on terror now that we have a RealTM American as President.

PostPosted: October 12 18, 10:36 am 

US Saudi Arms deal

.... Kushner, Lockheed Martin.... you know mother [expletive] well Trump got a cut.
also
Quote:
In August, 2018, a laser-guided Mark 82 bombsold by the U.S. and built by Lockheed Martin was used in the Saudi-led coalition airstrike on a school bus in Yemen, which killed 51 people, including 40 children.[49]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next