GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently December 7 19, 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Jim Jordan Scandal
PostPosted: November 9 19, 8:39 am 
gone fission

I initially posted it in the Weinstein Monsters thread, but it probably deserves its own thread, honestly.

Trump's favorite "yes man" in the House, the wonderful Congressman Jim Jordan of Ohio, is now facing allegations of ignoring sexual abuse while he was the assistant wrestling coach at Ohio State.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/08/us/osu-a ... index.html

Quote:
(CNN)A college wrestling referee says former Ohio State University athletic team doctor Richard Strauss masturbated in front of him inside a locker room shower in the mid-1990's, according to a new lawsuit filed against the school.

When he reported the incident to OSU's wrestling coaches -- US Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio, then the team's assistant coach, and Russ Hellickson, the team's former head coach -- they failed to take any action, according to the lawsuit filed Thursday.

They responded, "Yeah, that's Strauss," the referee, referred to in the lawsuit as John Doe 42, alleges.

The lawsuit, filed in Ohio federal court by 43 men who claim they were "sexually assaulted, abused, molested and/or harassed by Dr. Strauss," is filed against OSU alone and has no individual defendants.

Jordan has previously denied knowing about allegations of sexual abuse at Ohio State. And he did again Friday.

"Congressman Jordan never saw or heard of any kind of sexual abuse, and if he had he would've dealt with it. Multiple investigations have confirmed this simple fact," a spokesperson from his office said in a statement Friday.

When reached by CNN, Hellickson declined to comment.

The plaintiffs in the lawsuit do not list Jordan or Hellickson as one of the 20 named "OSU employees with authority to take corrective action to address it" who were notified about Strauss' alleged sexual harassment.

The referee is at least the second person to publicly say he directly told Jordan about alleged inappropriate behavior by Strauss.

Post subject: Re: Jim Jordan Scandal
PostPosted: November 9 19, 9:54 am 
Hall Of Famer

This allegation has been out there for a while. Jordan's response has been consistent:
Quote:
"Congressman Jordan never saw or heard of any kind of sexual abuse, and if he had he would've dealt with it. Multiple investigations have confirmed this simple fact," a spokesperson from his office said in a statement Friday.

Every time I read this form of denial, I want to ask Congressman Jordan why none of these wrestlers, or their families, or the referee (weird) ever said anything to him. Did they not trust him? Did they not see him as a friend or maybe an authority figure? Did they think he was too weak to do anything about it? Does he think the victims said something to the head coach? And if so, why didn't the head coach consult Jordan? Did the head coach not respect Jordan or value his judgment?

Doesn't it bother him that he didn't know? Assuming his denial is true, what should we think of a man who was blissfully unaware that he was in the middle of an intensely toxic environment? Is this a man we want in a leadership position?

And, yeah, I've had practice thinking about this after what happened at Michigan State and Penn State.

PostPosted: November 9 19, 11:15 am 
gone fission

Ah, it's been blowing up in the news this morning/late last night, so I wonder if something new has come to light?

PostPosted: November 9 19, 7:46 pm 
Perennial All-Star

A new lawsuit has been filed claiming a wrestling referee told Jordan about the doctor involved in the abuse. Which makes me wonder why the GOP chose Jordan to put on the House Intelligence Committee. Why not Mark Meadows, who is just as much a defender of Trump but isn’t involved in a scandal. Oh well, I guess I should hope that the Jordan scandal blows up and he doesn’t help Trump at all. Of course, putting Jordan on the committee is a slap in the face to Devin Nunes, showing the GOP has no confidence in him.

PostPosted: November 10 19, 8:00 am 
Mayor of GRB

Mary1966 wrote:
Of course, putting Jordan on the committee is a slap in the face to Devin Nunes, showing the GOP has no confidence in him.

With all the SLAPP suits Nunes is filing against his critics, and the resultant Streisand Effect, he's becoming more and more of a public joke.