GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 13 19, 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: July 10 18, 7:37 am 
Hall Of Famer

-- Ann Coulter.

These people are such morons.

I am descended from Germans who got here before the Revolution. They were Protestants escaping Catholic persecution in what is now Switzerland. They were as much immigrants as the people walking thousands of miles to make life better for their kids.

Of course, I am sure they played their part in pushing out and destroying the native cultures they found as they settled in. I bet that's what scares the Ann Coulters and Trumpists.

[expletive] morons.

PostPosted: July 10 18, 7:45 am 
Hall Of Famer

Is it OK to make this a general immigration thread? Because now our terrible policies are spreading to other parts of government than just ICE

NPR - U.S. Army Is Discharging Immigrant Recruits Who Were Promised Citizenship
Quote:
Panshu Zhao moved to the U.S. from China about eight years ago to study. It was the culmination of a lifelong dream.

Since then he has completed a graduate degree and is now pursuing a doctorate in geography at Texas A&M University. In describing his life to NPR's Steve Inskeep on Friday, he divided it into two parts: his life in China and his American life.

The latter includes regular attendance at a Christian church and a deep respect for the military. So deep in fact, that in 2016 he enlisted and has been serving in the Army Reserve while awaiting orders for full-time training.

But Zhao recently found himself among dozens of immigrant recruits who joined the military through a special Defense Department program promising an expedited path to citizenship, but then abruptly discharged with little or no explanation.

So far they have done this to around 40 people.

PostPosted: July 10 18, 7:48 am 
Hall Of Famer

pioneer98 wrote:
Is it OK to make this a general immigration thread? Because now our terrible policies are spreading to other parts of government than just ICE

NPR - U.S. Army Is Discharging Immigrant Recruits Who Were Promised Citizenship
Quote:
Panshu Zhao moved to the U.S. from China about eight years ago to study. It was the culmination of a lifelong dream.

Since then he has completed a graduate degree and is now pursuing a doctorate in geography at Texas A&M University. In describing his life to NPR's Steve Inskeep on Friday, he divided it into two parts: his life in China and his American life.

The latter includes regular attendance at a Christian church and a deep respect for the military. So deep in fact, that in 2016 he enlisted and has been serving in the Army Reserve while awaiting orders for full-time training.

But Zhao recently found himself among dozens of immigrant recruits who joined the military through a special Defense Department program promising an expedited path to citizenship, but then abruptly discharged with little or no explanation.

So far they have done this to around 40 people.

Evil. it's just downright evil what this administration is doing in so many places.

So much for the shining city on a hill. Good God.

PostPosted: July 10 18, 8:59 am 
Everday Unicorn

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but ya know what, it needs to be said repeatedly.

There are a number of reasons America developed the most powerful economy in the world. Our abundant natural resources (oil, farmland, minerals) are a big reason.

But in today's information/knowledge/service economy, talent is a driving factor. For decades now (basically since Einstein defected), the top minds around the world came to America. To make their mark, to be part of the best labs and best companies, to make money, to start a company. I've met so many people who came here from other countries for those reasons, and they chose to do their work and start their companies and raise their families HERE. When you think about technology, banking, and applied science, you're thinking about a hugely international workforce that chose to be in America.

At the bottom of our economy, immigrants are farming our fields, working our kitchens, starting up lawn service and home repair companies, cleaning our offices, etc. They're working, and working their way up. Who's going to pick fruit for $50 a day when they're gone? Farmers are finding out now: Nobody.

There's no law that says that type of people will always choose America.

Right now, our government is targeting those people (and others). Banning them from travel, starting up a "denaturalization" taskforce, and using rhetoric that calls immigrants animals. Literally dehumanizing them.

In the future, starting in really November 2016, we're sending a clear and direct message - go innovate somewhere else. Go work somewhere else.

The future of America's economy is going to look a lot more like a mediocre former-powerhouse.

PostPosted: July 10 18, 9:34 am 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

heyzeus wrote:
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but ya know what, it needs to be said repeatedly.

There are a number of reasons America developed the most powerful economy in the world. Our abundant natural resources (oil, farmland, minerals) are a big reason.

But in today's information/knowledge/service economy, talent is a driving factor. For decades now (basically since Einstein defected), the top minds around the world came to America. To make their mark, to be part of the best labs and best companies, to make money, to start a company. I've met so many people who came here from other countries for those reasons, and they chose to do their work and start their companies and raise their families HERE. When you think about technology, banking, and applied science, you're thinking about a hugely international workforce that chose to be in America.

At the bottom of our economy, immigrants are farming our fields, working our kitchens, starting up lawn service and home repair companies, cleaning our offices, etc. They're working, and working their way up. Who's going to pick fruit for $50 a day when they're gone? Farmers are finding out now: Nobody.

There's no law that says that type of people will always choose America.

Right now, our government is targeting those people (and others). Banning them from travel, starting up a "denaturalization" taskforce, and using rhetoric that calls immigrants animals. Literally dehumanizing them.

In the future, starting in really November 2016, we're sending a clear and direct message - go innovate somewhere else. Go work somewhere else.

The future of America's economy is going to look a lot more like a mediocre former-powerhouse.

The choir chimes in. I agree with this, and then some. We needed to start grow up as a nation, instead of regressing into adolescent nationalistic fantasies.
--------------------------
I think this would be a better thread than the Christian thread for this - we have this ingrained thinking in US that we are special to such an extent that it is Divine Providence. (god given). Was it luck that this land was sitting here, full of natural resources, and Native population soon to be decimated by diseases and advanced weaponry honed over centuries on another continent? Was it luck that there was another continent, which was not as advanced in weaponry as well, and provided slave labor for development? Ala the antithesis of Guns Germs and Steel - was it God that put these things in the rightly industrious hands at the right times?

And Manifest Destiny!

The Civil War? WTF was that?! - even there we have it ingrained that it was a Biblical-esque penance or purification of this nation once and for all. Even when it was far from that.

Thus - yeah, this thread was RE awful Ann Coulter -However, it's an ingrained white American view that the riches of this country were God-given to white Americans that came here and "settled" what became the most powerful nation on the planet. I know it's an ingrained view, because I tend to have it myself. It's ingrained, because it is experienced. When you wake up in this world and notice (and promoted to notice by propaganda) that you are "better off" than some to many others - you can't help but think there is a reason.

Think about it - how we view black Americans and all people of color. We think -why can't they as a group, get with the program? ...ingrained. We act like we are more "blood and soil" American than them. When in reality, a higher percentage of blacks have longer bloodlines and ancestral stake in this country than most any of us "Settlers". And the people from Mexico, and Central America - are they not more indigenous to this continent than most any of us great white "settlers"?

Anyhow, thoughts I've been having more of these days. Is it Divine Providence -this nation, it's development, my ancestry.
Does karma/god really look favorably on me- more so than if I was born in the 60s in Germany, Ireland, Uruquay, Canada, Mexico, Russia etc. The answer is clearly NO - but we abide by this notion on borders, US greatness etc, so we can have order and feel purposed in our lives.

PostPosted: July 10 18, 10:04 am 
Hall Of Famer

To zues' point about talent and attracting the top minds....It's not just that the top minds came here, but then they get to interact with other top minds. Collaboration like that can be larger than the sum of its parts.

Also, it has been proven that just having more diversity boosts creativity, productivity and ultimately profit and growth in general. I don't think many people realize how much of an advantage this gives us over other countries. There are very few countries as diverse as the US and we are by far the largest diverse nation. We are going to remain the most diverse large country for a long time but there definitely could be a brain drain at the very top.

PostPosted: July 10 18, 5:33 pm 
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Don't worry, we have a whole bunch of people with zero critical thinking skills that can't even vet a news source. I'm sure they'll pick up the slack once the immigrants stop stealing their jobs.

PostPosted: July 11 18, 7:40 am 
Hall Of Famer

They're going to pay for their child kidnapping program by taking money away from AIDS patients.

PostPosted: July 11 18, 7:48 am 
Hall Of Famer

pioneer98 wrote:

They're going to pay for their child kidnapping program by taking money away from AIDS patients.

Entirely consistent with their agenda.

PostPosted: August 16 18, 4:05 pm 
Consider him admonished

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 010651002/

Quote:
On Tuesday, 19 community groups called on state Rep. Bettie Cook Scott to apologize for using racial slurs to describe her opponent in the Aug. 7 primaries for State Senate, according to a release from Progress Michigan.

Both Scott and her opponent, Rep. Stephanie Chang, are Democrats who represent Detroit in the Michigan House of Representatives. Both a running for a state Senate seat. Scott was observed by members of the community groups and volunteers for other campaigns telling voters on Aug. 7 that "these immigrants from China are coming over and taking our community from us."

Scott's office told the Free Press that no one would be available to comment until next week.

Scott is also alleged to have referred to Chang using a racial slur.