GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently October 22 19, 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Election hacking
PostPosted: August 23 18, 2:21 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
Posts: 6936
Location: Southwestern Illinois
Apparently, it's so easy, almost anyone can do it!

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/08/21/i-just-hacked-a-state-election-17-not-a-good-hacker-219374


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election hacking
PostPosted: August 23 18, 8:41 am 
Offline
Sucking on the Rally Nipple
User avatar

Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
Posts: 21621
Location: Chicago
Honestly, we should just go back to paper and humans counting pieces of paper while others watch the count.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election hacking
PostPosted: August 23 18, 9:37 am 
Offline
just can't quit you.
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Posts: 24786
Location: Lost
G. Keenan wrote:
Honestly, we should just go back to paper and humans counting pieces of paper while others watch the count.


But then you get Hanging chads and "W" as your president....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election hacking
PostPosted: August 23 18, 10:04 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Posts: 17071
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
wart57 wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Honestly, we should just go back to paper and humans counting pieces of paper while others watch the count.


But then you get Hanging chads and "W" as your president....

That wasn't paper - that was punch cards. With paper you'd be going back to trying to interpret someone's handwriting. Maybe we could go back to different colored beans and hire bean counters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election hacking
PostPosted: August 23 18, 10:08 am 
Offline
Sucking on the Rally Nipple
User avatar

Joined: April 16 06, 6:03 pm
Posts: 21621
Location: Chicago
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
wart57 wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Honestly, we should just go back to paper and humans counting pieces of paper while others watch the count.


But then you get Hanging chads and "W" as your president....

That wasn't paper - that was punch cards. With paper you'd be going back to trying to interpret someone's handwriting. Maybe we could go back to different colored beans and hire bean counters.


Well I mean punch cards then. Paper ballots aren't without their flaws obviously, but at least you can't hack paper, and as we are seeing, state election boards have no idea what they are doing re cyber security and the federal govt. has only slightly more competence.

Confidence in the authenticity of the vote is of the utmost importance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election hacking
PostPosted: August 23 18, 10:14 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
Posts: 20100
Location: Low A Minors
We still use the "scantron" type ballots here - you color in a dot next to the person you are voting for, then a machine reads it and does the counting. It would be hard to hack one of these machines since it is not on the internet. The election officials have to report the results. So they could be corrupt I guess. But the nice thing is that you still have the paper ballots as a backup in case there are ever any questions or need to do a recount. When the only record that someone voted is electronic, it seems concerning.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election hacking
PostPosted: August 23 18, 12:04 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Posts: 24486
pioneer98 wrote:
We still use the "scantron" type ballots here - you color in a dot next to the person you are voting for, then a machine reads it and does the counting. It would be hard to hack one of these machines since it is not on the internet. The election officials have to report the results. So they could be corrupt I guess. But the nice thing is that you still have the paper ballots as a backup in case there are ever any questions or need to do a recount. When the only record that someone voted is electronic, it seems concerning.


Seems like the best option to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election hacking
PostPosted: August 23 18, 1:47 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
Posts: 6936
Location: Southwestern Illinois
ghostrunner wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
We still use the "scantron" type ballots here - you color in a dot next to the person you are voting for, then a machine reads it and does the counting. It would be hard to hack one of these machines since it is not on the internet. The election officials have to report the results. So they could be corrupt I guess. But the nice thing is that you still have the paper ballots as a backup in case there are ever any questions or need to do a recount. When the only record that someone voted is electronic, it seems concerning.


Seems like the best option to me.


#2 pencils for everybody!!

(Just adding some levity. Please holster the tomatoes.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election hacking
PostPosted: August 23 18, 2:22 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer

Joined: April 25 06, 6:43 pm
Posts: 11488
Location: Austin
You can also use fully electronic machines that print a voter verified paper receipt for later audit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election hacking
PostPosted: August 23 18, 2:28 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Posts: 17071
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
Arthur Dent wrote:
You can also use fully electronic machines that print a voter verified paper receipt for later audit.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GeddyWrox and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group