GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 25 19, 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: February 5 19, 5:11 pm 
Hall Of Famer

We have a five year old that recently started with a "that's not fair" refrain, and I was able to get through to her that she really doesn't want life to be fair, otherwise we were going to have to take some of her toys and give them to kids who are less fortunate.

PostPosted: February 5 19, 5:14 pm 
darjeeling sipping elite

haltz wrote:
We have a five year old that recently started with a "that's not fair" refrain, and I was able to get through to her that she really doesn't want life to be fair, otherwise we were going to have to take some of her toys and give them to kids who are less fortunate.

My mom was kind of sneaky brutal. Lots of ‘life’s not fair’ sorta talk.

PostPosted: February 8 19, 5:30 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.

PostPosted: February 8 19, 6:08 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Radbird wrote:

Ok. Seriously, I'm asking all you grb food service workers, do you agree with the Tuckster?

PostPosted: February 9 19, 12:32 am 
has a link from 538 to share

How would a server know a guests politics?

PostPosted: February 9 19, 2:13 am 
Hall Of Famer

Michael wrote:

It comes up directly in conversation and you overhear a lot. You'd win money by guessing but that could easily backfire.

PostPosted: February 9 19, 7:41 am 
darjeeling sipping elite

The progressives i know used to work in restaurants thus they tip bigly.

PostPosted: February 9 19, 7:50 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Michael wrote:

Michael, you'd be floored at the things people will tell you with zero to very little prompting*. It's also their job to be somewhat present. I've overheard everything from people who make Bernie look like a Koch Bro to a seemingly nice woman pleading with her friends that Brett Kavanaugh no way could have assaulted women they're just making it up to make him look bad.

A little over a year ago I got mostly out of working directly for restaurants and started consulting, helping with openings, doing spirits/cocktails/beer education. I was helping a guy open a restaurant, kind of a swanky one, in a downtown area full of rich old people, while working a couple nights a week at a hipster Logan Square bar, a progressive 'hood full of young people. At the hipster Logan Square bar a $14 cocktail gets a couple bucks tax then a $3-4 tip--over 20%. At the Gold Coast bar a $14 cocktail gets a couple bucks tax then the ol' $1/drink tip that only old rich people and bros at sports bars execute. Carlson has it exactly backward, not that it matters to him, his network, or his viewers.

As another example, there are those books. Nickel and Dimed, Fast Food Nation. All about how the working poor wait staff in restaurants are worked to death for no money, yeah? Where is virtually every example in those books from? A rural all-white conservative religious area. I know servers and bartenders all over liberal Chicago who make $100K/year. A friend of mine moved to NY to work at a nationally-famous cocktail bar two years ago and he made $150K/year until leaving that job this week.

* Once upon a time I managed a craft beer bar that had a Jewel-Osco down the street. Couple is sitting at the bar. I'm new-ish. Man says to me that "We had our first date here. We love it here. She goes down the street to [expletive] at the Jewel instead of taking a [expletive] here, is how much respect we have for this place." If I said this in front of my wife in public I would be sleeping in the guest bedroom for a month. This lady just smiles and goes "Yep." That's the level of stuff people will tell you when you stand behind a bar.

PostPosted: February 9 19, 12:33 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

What is amusing about Tuckster and the right wing "intellectuals" is the volume of bogus anectdotes non-verifiable slants they throw out there.

They couldn't win a high school debate with this material. Can you imagine a HS kid turning in a pro-free market essay or anti-minimum wage riff, and the bullet against the opposing view is "progressives don't tip...I just know they don't"

Convenient thing about these culture warriors is they choose a a fact-free battlefield.

PostPosted: February 9 19, 1:57 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Michael wrote:

Tucker Carlson is saying minorities don't tip well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next