GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently June 18 19, 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: November 15 18, 10:33 am 
Hall Of Famer

Freed Roger wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
Radbird wrote:

Poor old guy. Where will he go to validate all his fears and hatred?

I wonder what the intersection is between people who were at Woodstock and people gone MAGA. I bet there's more than a few and I'd like to hear about their journey. Move this to Random Musings if you like...

Would like to hear too. Watched Vietnam series by Ken Burns. I think some crossed over to MAGA. But it reminded me how sharply and evenly split US was then, even among young Woodstock-aged people. Was a scene with young-ish NY construction workers going after protestors IIRC.

A majority of the country then (Burns referenced a poll) supported the natl guard's actions at Kent State. Sadly, the National Guard was same age as the students.

And FWIW Trump was the Woodstock age bracket then. My guess is most these old MAGA guys were this way all along

I think you are right that most of the people who are MAGA's now were likely the people supporting the national guard back then. I have seen more than one person argue that most of the actual hippies from that Woodstock era turned into the tech-libertarians of Silicon Valley. Steve Jobs, and Wozniak and others fit this mold. They kind of abandoned trying to make the real world into a better place and retreated into cyberspace, a place that was a blank slate with little/no government oversight, where they they could make all their own rules. One of the biggest rules they pushed was Net Neutrality for example - all voices should be equal. They thought it could become like a "cyber utopia" and sold it to us that way and boy were they wrong.

PostPosted: November 15 18, 1:02 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

pioneer98 wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
Radbird wrote:
[
Poor old guy. Where will he go to validate all his fears and hatred?

I wonder what the intersection is between people who were at Woodstock and people gone MAGA. I bet there's more than a few and I'd like to hear about their journey. Move this to Random Musings if you like...

Would like to hear too. Watched Vietnam series by Ken Burns. I think some crossed over to MAGA. But it reminded me how sharply and evenly split US was then, even among young Woodstock-aged people. Was a scene with young-ish NY construction workers going after protestors IIRC.

A majority of the country then (Burns referenced a poll) supported the natl guard's actions at Kent State. Sadly, the National Guard was same age as the students.

And FWIW Trump was the Woodstock age bracket then. My guess is most these old MAGA guys were this way all along

I think you are right that most of the people who are MAGA's now were likely the people supporting the national guard back then. I have seen more than one person argue that most of the actual hippies from that Woodstock era turned into the tech-libertarians of Silicon Valley. Steve Jobs, and Wozniak and others fit this mold. They kind of abandoned trying to make the real world into a better place and retreated into cyberspace, a place that was a blank slate with little/no government oversight, where they they could make all their own rules. One of the biggest rules they pushed was Net Neutrality for example - all voices should be equal. They thought it could become like a "cyber utopia" and sold it to us that way and boy were they wrong.

Also, think of how frustrated old MAGA dudes would be, completely missing the bandwagon of biggest cultural revolution of 20th century. Listening to Perry Como, instead of Hendrix. You'd think the women without bras on would have been enough. Then decades later, along comes the Orange hate-filled [expletive] just like them.

I think you guys are in my general age range - recall how much spottier and slower cultural things were in their spread back in the 70s. In many areas, the woodstock era blew past all together. Growing up in a smaller midwestern town - I don't think the hippies became a thing until mid 70s. Even then, they really weren't necessarily lefties - I'm thinking the motorcycle dudes (like the gangs) - had more in common politically with extreme right, than the left. Seque a half-generation later, the LARPing motorcyclists for Trump.

Side story. I recall us wanting longer hair, and my Mom (who cut our hair....and it showed) would not give in. I think I didn't get hair over my ears until nearly the Reagan era.

PostPosted: November 20 18, 10:57 am 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: November 26 18, 10:44 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

MIGRANTS THROWING ROCKS OVER BORDER WALL.

PostPosted: November 27 18, 1:28 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Geraldo calls out Fox News... on-air!

Fox & Friends colludes with Pruitt's EPA staff ahead of an interview!

I would pull an excerpt from this article, but quite frankly, the whole thing is worth the 3 minute read:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/geraldo ... 45843.html

PostPosted: November 27 18, 1:44 pm 
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

mikechamp wrote:
Geraldo calls out Fox News... on-air!

Fox & Friends colludes with Pruitt's EPA staff ahead of an interview!

I would pull an excerpt from this article, but quite frankly, the whole thing is worth the 3 minute read:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/geraldo ... 45843.html

This part was awesome:

Quote:
“Would this be okay as the setup to his segment?” producer Diana Aloi asked. She wrote: “There’s a new direction at the Environmental Protection Agency under President Trump—and it includes a back-to-basics approach. This after the Obama administration left behind a huge mess more than 1,300 super-fund sites which are heavily contaminated—still require clean-ups. So why was President Obama touted as an environmental savior if all these problems still exist?

That is...uh...not how superfund sites work. I'm sure Pruitt set the record straight immediately.

PostPosted: November 30 18, 6:40 am 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.

PostPosted: November 30 18, 10:35 am 
99% conan clips

PostPosted: December 4 18, 7:48 pm 
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.

PostPosted: December 5 18, 11:25 am 
Perennial All-Star

Is that supposed to say Reason for the Season, or Treason for the Season?

Seriously asking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next