GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently November 19 19, 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: October 2 18, 12:41 pm 
Hall Of Famer

This is surprising in a way given his general disposition, but I suppose it shouldn't be. He's dropping out of the KC mayor race and stepping back from Let America Vote.

https://medium.com/@JasonKander/about-f ... c6006804c1

Quote:
About four months ago, I contacted the VA to get help. It had been about 11 years since I left Afghanistan as an Army Intelligence Officer, and my tour over there still impacted me every day. So many men and women who served our country did so much more than me and were in so much more danger than I was on my four-month tour. I can’t have PTSD, I told myself, because I didn’t earn it.

But, on some level, I knew something was deeply wrong, and that it hadn’t felt that way before my deployment. After 11 years of this, I finally took a step toward dealing with it, but I didn’t step far enough.

I went online and filled out the VA forms, but I left boxes unchecked — too scared to acknowledge my true symptoms. I knew I needed help and yet I still stopped short. I was afraid of the stigma. I was thinking about what it could mean for my political future if someone found out.

That was stupid, and things have gotten even worse since.

By all objective measures, things have been going well for me the past few months. My first book became a New York Times Bestseller in August. Let America Vote has been incredibly effective, knocking on hundreds of thousands of doors and making hundreds of thousands of phone calls. I know that our work is making a big difference. And last Tuesday, I found out that we were going to raise more money than any Kansas City mayoral campaign ever has in a single quarter. But instead of celebrating that accomplishment, I found myself on the phone with the VA’s Veterans Crisis Line, tearfully conceding that, yes, I have had suicidal thoughts. And it wasn’t the first time.

I’m done hiding this from myself and from the world. When I wrote in my book that I was lucky to not have PTSD, I was just trying to convince myself. And I wasn’t sharing the full picture. I still have nightmares. I am depressed.

PostPosted: October 2 18, 12:45 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Kander is such a good dude. Really hope he gets the help he needs and comes back stronger than ever.

PostPosted: October 2 18, 12:49 pm 
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Kander is such a good dude. Really hope he gets the help he needs and comes back stronger than ever.

This. Hope it goes well for him.

PostPosted: June 3 19, 2:58 pm 
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

I hope Kander is recovering and makes a run for MO governor. Having some leverage on the autocratic GOP loons is a big deal.

PostPosted: June 3 19, 3:15 pm 
Replies Authoritatively

Sorry to hear this, but glad he’s getting the help he needs and is open to talking about it. We lose too many people to mental health issues and the stigmas attached to admitting you have a problem and seeking help.

PostPosted: June 3 19, 9:17 pm 
Perennial All-Star

As an individual with a mental illness myself, I hope he recovers and is able to return to public service. Having politicians like him in office would definitely fight stigma and would give us someone to champion improvements to our broken mental health system.

PostPosted: June 14 19, 9:09 pm 
Perennial All-Star

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/former-democractic-rising-star-afghanistan-war-veteran-speaks-out-first-n1017406

Interview with Kander.